Where We All Grew Up

What are Jaffa cakes , biscuits or cakes ?

The generally accepted rule is,

A cake starts of soft and becomes hard when stale. A biscuit starts of hard and becomes soft when stale.

Some on here seem to become hard whenever Saints fail on the park and that really takes the biscuit!whistling.gif

I quit fishing at the age of 9.

Got a hook stuck in my thumb , while at the Barrhead dams.

Had to go to R.A.I. to get it cut out.

Never again.

Still get scary flashbacks while devouring a fish supper.

You buy fish suppers? I'd have thought a man of your austerity would not be purchasing such expensive food items?

I quit fishing at the age of 9.

Got a hook stuck in my thumb , while at the Barrhead dams.

Had to go to R.A.I. to get it cut out.

Never again.

Still get scary flashbacks while devouring a fish supper.

In fishing circles it was always believed that if a barbed hook got stuck in any part ( !?) of your body, in hospital before they could get it out they had to push it all the way through until the barb emerged and then they cut the barb off and extracted the rest of the hook. Never happened to me luckily, but was that your problem Shull? I was never sure if that was an old wives tale or fact. Glad you can still force down your Haddie supper.

In fishing circles it was always believed that if a barbed hook got stuck in any part ( !?) of your body, in hospital before they could get it out they had to push it all the way through until the barb emerged and then they cut the barb off and extracted the rest of the hook. Never happened to me luckily, but was that your problem Shull? I was never sure if that was an old wives tale or fact. Glad you can still force down your Haddie supper.

They got the hook with barb out quite easily.

Not sure how, didnae want to look.

Did you get a jag? Every time I went to the RAI they gave me a jag. Hated it. Back then the needles looked like six inch nails and it was sore as hell.

Nae jag.

I took it like a jessie.

One of my favourite pike stories arose when a close pal of mine went fishing for the first time ever at Lochwinnoch. He was about twelve at the time. With his very first cast he hooked a pike and the violence of the tugging on the line frightened the crap out of him so much that he ran like hell. Luckily he didn't let go of the rod so the pike ended up about a hundred yards inside a field when Andy finally stopped! That was Andy Schoffield a good Bud who tragically left us far too early at the age of 50. The pike was about six pounds, a good fish-- but covered in mud.

Hi guys....home again for three weeks clap.gifjerry.gifnologo.gif Vodka and Coke in hand plus on the B and W Army....What's not to like ????? I digress...

Lochwinnoch was an awesome place to fish,used to get the bus to Howwood,walk down to the River and fish all the way up to the Dam...cracking day out for a young

'un. Never new there was Roach in both the river and the Dam until wandering up there once and met a guy who had all the full Match fishing rig and had a keep net full

of Roach. First time I had ever seen ground baiting other than on the telly.

And as for jags.....I'm a confirmed Jessie...bloody well hate them.

Hi guys....home again for three weeks clap.gifjerry.gifnologo.gif Vodka and Coke in hand plus on the B and W Army....What's not to like ????? I digress...

Lochwinnoch was an awesome place to fish,used to get the bus to Howwood,walk down to the River and fish all the way up to the Dam...cracking day out for a young

'un. Never new there was Roach in both the river and the Dam until wandering up there once and met a guy who had all the full Match fishing rig and had a keep net full

of Roach. First time I had ever seen ground baiting other than on the telly.

And as for jags.....I'm a confirmed Jessie...bloody well hate them.

Roach and perch are both fine looking fish. Caught a few of each, no great size and always put them back. Usually ate my trout. Been salmon fishing a few times on good rivers (somebody else was paying) but never caught a thing. Unfortunately my lady wife has caught salmon and boy does she love to mention it.

How can you tell a coarse fisherman?

Did you get a jag? Every time I went to the RAI they gave me a jag. Hated it. Back then the needles looked like six inch nails and it was sore as hell.

Brings back painful memories.

Every time i went to the RAI ended up walking out with a dead leg.

Cuts and dog bites(Dugs hate me) they would ask ma auld boy if i had a tentus jag in the last 5 years

Naw came the reply even though i had been up the month before

Auld b*stard

Brings back painful memories.

Every time i went to the RAI ended up walking out with a dead leg.

Cuts and dog bites(Dugs hate me) they would ask ma auld boy if i had a tentus jag in the last 5 years

Naw came the reply even though i had been up the month before

Auld b*stard

That's how it seemed to me as well. No computer records back then so I always said I didn't need one but the bloody masochistic nurses never believed me.

Having said that, a friend of mine got a bad cut on his leg playing on one of the pitches 'over the Moss' at the Racecourse. Guys of a certain age will know what I mean. Livvy (Livingstone) Crawford was his name and he died age 16. From a lovely family and as far as I know his twin brother Willie still lives around Paisley. After that I didn't scream just as much when the big needle got branded.

Aye. All this talk of jags and I forgot I've to get my flu jab this morning. For a long time now jags haven't bothered me but now I've got a feeling this one will hurt. Stupid or what?

Stoopit !

Got mine on Tuesday

Easy

Stoopit !

Got mine on Tuesday

Easy

I wasn't the least bit nervous. Honest. A gorgeous young blond (female) doctor lead me into her office, took my blood pressure, stabbed me in the arm and had me back out of her wee room in about ninety seconds flat. Didn't feel a thing apart from a tinge of disappointment that I didn't get a chance to ask her out.

Lived in Falside Rd from 1956 from the age of 1 till I got married at 22. My dad (and mother) worked in Brown & Polson which is how he got the house. Use to fish at Stanley dam and Lochwinnoch but gave it up when I was around 17 when I started drinks_cheers.gif . Being crap and catching very little was an other good reason whistling.gif

Was it not his Mannager , John Reid who is "Credited" with helping Elton to find his true path.........

Brought up in Gallowhill apparently and went to the same school as me.....St Mirins in Renfrew Road.

His mother lived above the shops in Braehead Road, I know this cause I'm a nosey get lol.gif actually no...It's because I was brought up in nearby Glenfield Road.

Attention Shull...........Glenburn Alert bangin.gif

whistling.gif