The Leagues Youngest Team

TopCat

You've got yourself in a right tizzy about David Clarkson, haven't you?

Both Motherwell and Killie had him on trial, both turned him down. He's went to Dundee and had a good start, why are you in such a state about it?

Do you think we can afford to bring in other players but are choosing not to?

Nearly all teams who come up have a honeymoon period. Dunfermline had one, they were relegated. Partick Thistle had one last year, they were above us for a good while at the start of last season, they then finished below us. How many points were Hibs above us at this stage last season?

We will see where Dundee end up. Why are you so negative?

I've posted less about Clarkson than you have raving about Caldwell's 2 goals (against 2nd division Dunfermline) and an assist. Clarkson has probably had a similar amount of game time to Caldwell (0 SPL goals for Saints) but has more goals than Caldwell, Marwood and Ball put together.

I'd agree, 6 months average across the team is the same as replacing 2 rookies with 25 year olds with plenty of experience.

Depends on the ages of celtic's younger players.

i wonder how it looks if you take out the 2 youngest and 2 oldest players from each squad

Not that i will take the time to do it, but it would give a better picture of core strength

I've posted less about Clarkson than you have raving about Caldwell's 2 goals (against 2nd division Dunfermline) and an assist. Clarkson has probably had a similar amount of game time to Caldwell (0 SPL goals for Saints) but has more goals than Caldwell, Marwood and Ball put together.

Given Clarkson has started 4 games on the bounce for Dundee and came off the bench in another, and Caldwell has 1 start, I'd be surprised if the game time is similar. Not to mention one player has just turned 21 and the other is 29.

Pretty duff comparison really isn't it?

A more relevant comparison with a Dundee player and Caldwell would be Tankulic. He's a striker who has had a similar amount of game time, is slightly older and was signed this summer. He has less goals and less assists than Ross.

Depends on the ages of celtic's younger players.

i wonder how it looks if you take out the 2 youngest and 2 oldest players from each squad

Not that i will take the time to do it, but it would give a better picture of core strength

Again, that would favour us. We had 2 players over 26 in the starting 11 on Saturday - Goodwin and Kello.

I bet Accies would much rather have just had the 5 years we've had than the 5 years they've had. They've had a good start, we will see where they finish.

Why compare us to them and not, Falkirk, Hibs or Dunfermline? All clubs similar or larger than ourselves, all in a far worse state than us. Why the negativity?

I'm not usually that negative but this is a rotten league - as weak as we are ever likely to see this season and still we cannot make an impact. it's very frustrating. Average age has very little bearing on the fact we are under performing (or at least I hope we are under performing). We should be competing with the Thistles, ICT's, Dundee's, Killies and Hammies of this world but so far we don't appear capable. We will see it might turn around but unless we can start winning home game I don't think it will. 10th place scrapped with a couple of games to go isn't exactly going to fill anyone with enthusiasm and yet that looks our best bet. I didn't want to keep Magennis but if we had known what Marwood was like then no way would we have let Magennis go - quite simply Magennis is better than Marwood (and Caldwell). I keep thinking Ball will get goals but I'm starting to lose that faith - his effort v RC on Sat screamed confidence was gone. Reilly simply isn't good enough at this level and as a unit the defence look like a mistake waiting to happen regrdless of the opposition. There are problems all over the park with this squad and at the end of the day the club has chosen to assemble a squad of this nature, it just didn't happen by accident.

It wasn't intended to be strictly scientific, more a general idea.

To be scientific you'd need to use starting 11's from the whole season and use the players age in days, not years. To be frank, I couldn't be arsed doing that.

If I had done however, I'm pretty certain we'd be even further clear at the top of the table.

Remarkably, 6 of our starting 11 from Saturday have had a birthday since September 5th. (Kello, McAusland, Drury, Ball, Reilly and McGinn). I'd be astounded if most of any other teams starting 11 had had a birthday in the last 6 weeks.

So, using whole years as opposed to days has actually skewed the data against us.

And when it's all said and done, there isn't a significant difference in age between us and quite a few other teams.

I'm not sure of the point of this thread?

in this day and age of bosmans, loan signings and the vast differential in wages between the rich and poor, there is no chance of building a team that will last a number of years.

therefore the age of our squad is totally irrelevant

Drury & plummer are young guys - but so what? What difference does that make to us? They are on loan for 1 year. We need them to do a job for 1 year regardless of age.

john mcginn is young... But so what? He's our best player anyway.

ball is young, but again, so what? If he does well then we'll have him for another year. Did it matter that Steven Thompson was older when we signed him?

this thread is just an attempt ay deflection to cover for a piss poor manager

I'm not sure of the point of this thread?

in this day and age of bosmans, loan signings and the vast differential in wages between the rich and poor, there is no chance of building a team that will last a number of years.

therefore the age of our squad is totally irrelevant

Drury & plummer are young guys - but so what? What difference does that make to us? They are on loan for 1 year. We need them to do a job for 1 year regardless of age.

john mcginn is young... But so what? He's our best player anyway.

ball is young, but again, so what? If he does well then we'll have him for another year. Did it matter that Steven Thompson was older when we signed him?

this thread is just an attempt ay deflection to cover for a piss poor manager

Largely agree with the above. The average age of any team is completely irrelevant.

I remember the dark days of the 90s. Relegated, a financial disaster and forced to play young players. Some were decent, some were ok, some were pish. We didn't get much money for the decent ones when they left and the football was absolutely dire. No-one handed out any awards for us having a very young side.