St Mirren V Partick Thistle Premiership 8/11/14

shull

Am I missing something but are you actually boasting about beating us. We're down at the minute but how many scottish or league cups do you have ? 1? I think that we are a far more successful club than you. We're in a new stadium and have our own dome and training ground. You train at garscube? We're down but we will not be down for long. If gilmour sorts it we will survive and we can catch you. Really surprised at your smug attitude I'm glad you enjoyed your day in a nice functional stadium unlike us when we get hoarded into the shittiest main stand in the league.

Chill out Norrie!

Again for clarity, it was a direct reply to Bluto!!!

For the love of God, can I make this any clearer... In the past 4 or 5 years I have been very complimentary of your clubs set up, I talk to Thistle fans regularly about our failings and what we should be looking to mirror. So much so, when a St Mirren game comes about I'm regularly asked which end I'll be sitting in.

Often on We Are Thistle if a St Mirren conversation starts, someone will just post... "Ask Dave"

Just so the penny drops here, as I've said before, I have a 2 year old daughter, if she supports Thistle or her local team, I will be equally as proud.

I have no issue what so ever with your club, when we come through to Paisley, I'm proud as I can show off the town I now call home, to my mates, all of whom are warming to it after I took them to Borgia for the Liverpool game. Christ I left them at full time and they headed straight back there.

Edited by dave.j

Thank god that's resolved, I wish you'd came on earlier, the way Saltcoats was portraying it there were "scenes" and it could have all gotten out of control.

It's amazing how two people sitting beside each other can have a completely different outlook on an incident.

So now that that's resolved...,

I think our win boiled down to St Mirrens rigid tactic of defending high up the pitch condensing our attack and midfield.

To combat this we played another midfielder instead of a striker, in Stevenson, and played a yardage type rugby game, if you watch the Alba highlights again, the first half was terrible but in our respect successful. We pumped high balls at Stevenson or out to the corners for him to chase.

He did this very effectively.

Come the second half and your players start to tire at the back and open up.

We bring on our fresh legged striker and minutes later Craig takes Marwood off, replaced him with a kid, and puts the tired Tesselar to left back.

We bring in our wee winger McDaid, who usually plays on the left, and put him on Tesselar.

75 minutes in away from home, still 0.0 and we have two fresh players up against your defence.

That's how, on reflection I see how we won the game. McNamara and others have called this tactic, this season and combatted it in different ways, to varying success.

It's now down to Craig to change these tactics as others will follow suit.

Tesselaar to left back? No he didn't. Kelly played left back all game. Tesselaar and McAusland were the centre backs and that didn't change up to the point where I left the stadium with around 5 minutes of normal time remaining. The youngster - Morgan - that you refer to came on in the striker role. Craig replaced the two front men to very little effect. Craigs other failing was that he didn't change the tactics at all. He stuck to a rather rigid 4-4-2 all match. You can see it too when you watch the highlights back. Kelly was supposed to be marking McDaid but for some reason - perhaps fatigue - he was rather easily burned for speed. Tesselaar is still playing centre half and if you watch the incident where O'Donnell twists and turns his way to the bye-line before sending in that superb cross you'll see it was Drury who was left to cover him and that the St Mirren defence failed to double up.

I also think you are giving Archibald too much credit for his tactical nous in this match. I wouldn't have said there was a need for any sort of strategy to beat St Mirren. All you need to know is that St Mirren will huff and puff a lot, not get the ball into the penalty box very often and so long as you aren't drawn into giving away cheap free kicks around your area the likely hood is that St Mirren aren't going to score against you. Then when you look at the St Mirren back line and you see McAusland in the line up you'll know that you are going to get a number of chances in the match and all you'll need to do is take one of them.

It was a heavy pitch on Saturday and McDaid coming on when he did just added some fresh legs against a tiring Kelly but the real impact was from a rather sublime pass from Stephen O'Donnell

Ah ok... I'm quite sure they would, but Goodwin brings it upon himself, he's an idiot.

Sort of detracts from the point that e=mc2 went running to Scotland's police force demanding they take action on a football player giving St Mirren fans the finger, after 60 minutes of abuse. Hahaha

I tend to enjoy your reading your posts (in getting an outsiders view type way) but I was in the West Stand on Saturday, and Stevenson got nothing more than an occasional shout (no more than any other player would). I would suspect that he gave the finger in response to a shout, but it was probably more down to his own frustration with his performance and being subbed.

Ryan Stevenson may view himself as a bit of a name, but he isn't remotely interesting enough to warrant "60 minutes of abuse". And certainly not when we're more concerned at what's going on with our own team and club.

I tend to enjoy your reading your posts (in getting an outsiders view type way) but I was in the West Stand on Saturday, and Stevenson got nothing more than an occasional shout (no more than any other player would). I would suspect that he gave the finger in response to a shout, but it was probably more down to his own frustration with his performance and being subbed.

Ryan Stevenson may view himself as a bit of a name, but he isn't remotely interesting enough to warrant "60 minutes of abuse". And certainly not when we're more concerned at what's going on with our own team and club.

Quite possibly I've automatically assumed that would have been the case, it would certainly seem a strange reaction to a woman telling you you're rubbish.

I've had that all my life and never gave them the finger!

Tesselaar to left back? No he didn't. Kelly played left back all game. Tesselaar and McAusland were the centre backs and that didn't change up to the point where I left the stadium with around 5 minutes of normal time remaining. The youngster - Morgan - that you refer to came on in the striker role. Craig replaced the two front men to very little effect. Craigs other failing was that he didn't change the tactics at all. He stuck to a rather rigid 4-4-2 all match. You can see it too when you watch the highlights back. Kelly was supposed to be marking McDaid but for some reason - perhaps fatigue - he was rather easily burned for speed. Tesselaar is still playing centre half and if you watch the incident where O'Donnell twists and turns his way to the bye-line before sending in that superb cross you'll see it was Drury who was left to cover him and that the St Mirren defence failed to double up.

I also think you are giving Archibald too much credit for his tactical nous in this match. I wouldn't have said there was a need for any sort of strategy to beat St Mirren. All you need to know is that St Mirren will huff and puff a lot, not get the ball into the penalty box very often and so long as you aren't drawn into giving away cheap free kicks around your area the likely hood is that St Mirren aren't going to score against you. Then when you look at the St Mirren back line and you see McAusland in the line up you'll know that you are going to get a number of chances in the match and all you'll need to do is take one of them.

It was a heavy pitch on Saturday and McDaid coming on when he did just added some fresh legs against a tiring Kelly but the real impact was from a rather sublime pass from Stephen O'Donnell

Just shows you how shit the view is from behind the goal! Regardless of the substitution error I stand by what I perceive as his tactic to play the "yardage game".

Regards SOD, his style of play between first and second half was apparent to see. In the first half, with every opportunity he pumped it long into the corner. In the second half as the game opened up.

Likewise Fox too played practically every ball long in the first half, but in the second, played a lot more to his back 4 and Osman, more like our natural style of play.

Chill out Norrie!

Again for clarity, it was a direct reply to Bluto!!!

For the love of God, can I make this any clearer... In the past 4 or 5 years I have been very complimentary of your clubs set up, I talk to Thistle fans regularly about our failings and what we should be looking to mirror. So much so, when a St Mirren game comes about I'm regularly asked which end I'll be sitting in.

Often on We Are Thistle if a St Mirren conversation starts, someone will just post... "Ask Dave"

Just so the penny drops here, as I've said before, I have a 2 year old daughter, if she supports Thistle or her local team, I will be equally as proud.

I have no issue what so ever with your club, when we come through to Paisley, I'm proud as I can show off the town I now call home, to my mates, all of whom are warming to it after I took them to Borgia for the Liverpool game. Christ I left them at full time and they headed straight back there.

Fair enough sorry mate I bit . I'm so fed up watching crap every week I apologise if I was out of order.