Our Old Chum Collum

Katie Bear

post-2667-0-43565000-1424050471_thumb.jp

post-2667-0-92083100-1424050489_thumb.jp

Another couple of belting decisions from "But But he's one of EUFA's top ref's"
Apparently the top pic is an offside goal and the bottom one hasn't crossed the line and isn't a goal at all.

Fine work but still 3 or 4 bad decisions off his personal best set at Saints on January 2nd this year when he missed one blatant and critical offside, missed one clear penalty decision, awarded 3 incorrect penalties and left Saints with 10 men after an incorrect and ultimately overturned red card.

If only they could have had a wee bit of rain to allow him to find a puddle where the ball wouldn't bounce and he could have wiped this game from the records and started again.

So poor it isn't even funny any more !

attachicon.gifaberdeen offside.jpg

attachicon.gifaberdeen-goal.jpg

Apparently the top pic is an offside goal and the bottom one hasn't crossed the line and isn't a goal at all.

Fine work but still 3 or 4 bad decisions off his personal best set at Saints on January 2nd this year when he missed one blatant and critical offside, missed one clear penalty decision, awarded 3 incorrect penalties and left Saints with 10 men after an incorrect and ultimately overturned red card.

If only they could have had a wee bit of rain to allow him to find a puddle where the ball wouldn't bounce and he could have wiped this game from the records and started again.

Neither of these is Colllums fault. He's got an official running the line that is supposed to spot these things.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Top picture isn't offside, look up ,top right, Hamilton defender is playing both Aberdeen players on side. 2nd one don't know

err. yeah the point is it isn't offside....he chopped off a goal saying it WAS.

Yes assistant should help but FFS these are a matter of yards.....virtually everyone in the ground except those who make the decision saw them. If he can't judge an offside decision that's 2-3 yards off or a ball a yard over the line then that is 2 HUGE mistakes.

attachicon.gifaberdeen offside.jpg

attachicon.gifaberdeen-goal.jpg

I've not seen the footage but was the Hamilton player on the park when the ball went forward?

Just trying to think of a reason why it was given offside but like others were saying this is the linesmans cock up.

I've not seen the footage but was the Hamilton player on the park when the ball went forward?

Just trying to think of a reason why it was given offside but like others were saying this is the linesmans cock up.

The Hamilton full back got skinned, the ball was played back to dons man who knocked it forward to Goodwillie who was at least a YARD onside. The Accies player wandered off the field after goodwillie shot

More sfa incompetence & yet again nothing will be done.

The Hamilton full back got skinned, the ball was played back to dons man who knocked it forward to Goodwillie who was at least a YARD onside. The Accies player wandered off the field after goodwillie shot

More sfa incompetence & yet again nothing will be done.

Ever thought of taking up commentary :P

Even if he was behind the bye line, he would still be considered to be 'in play'. I remember the same thing happened previously when the defender (Materazzi, I think) was behind the line and the ref still gave the goal, because it was deemed he had played the forward on.

err. yeah the point is it isn't offside....he chopped off a goal saying it WAS.

Yes assistant should help but FFS these are a matter of yards.....virtually everyone in the ground except those who make the decision saw them. If he can't judge an offside decision that's 2-3 yards off or a ball a yard over the line then that is 2 HUGE mistakes.

Apologies Katie, I thought you were saying it was offside sorry.gif

chalky1, on 16 Feb 2015 - 08:08, said:snapback.png

Top picture isn't offside, look up ,top right, Hamilton defender is playing both Aberdeen players on side. 2nd one don't know

Apologies Katie, I thought you were saying it was offside sorry.gif

What about your 2nd sentence 1eye.gif

Even if he was behind the bye line, he would still be considered to be 'in play'. I remember the same thing happened previously when the defender (Materazzi, I think) was behind the line and the ref still gave the goal, because it was deemed he had played the forward on.

Correct. Any player who leaves the pitch is considered to be positioned on the line. Thus meaning the defender plays the attacker on. By the letter of the law the defender should be booked for not asking the refs permission to leave the field of play.

David, when I watched the game live that was my initial thought too, however last night I checked the FIFA Laws of the Game page and Master Yoda is correct - there is a complete section on it. IMO the rules seem incredibly unfair though and heavily favour the attacking side.

Apparently if a defender leaves the field of play behind the bye line the referee has to play on despite the striker being in an offside position (in effect deeming the defender to be playing everyone onside). The defender is then not allowed back onto the field of play without the referee's consent and the referee is supposed to caution the defender for unsporting conduct. The striker leaving the field of play - as happened in this incident - is not deemed to be interfering with play therefore he isn't in an offside position and although he too isn't supposed to return to the field of play without the referee's consent, he shouldn't be cautioned for unsporting play.

As it turns out though in this example it doesn't matter cause the Hamilton player isn't off the park when the final ball is played and he is indeed playing everyone onside. He doesn't step off the pitch until the ball crosses the line.

For me it's the assistant ref who has to make that call though. He should have got it right.

The penalty incident, when you watch it in live play Rooney does indeed foul the defender first before being thrown to the side.