Is There Any Body Out There

The thing that gets me is infinity. That's a concept and a half to get your head around. if you think about the movie 'The Truman Show' and at the end in his boat he eventually hits the false sky painted on the dome that was his entire universe. Naturally, on the other side of the dome was another world. Hypothetically then, if you left earth on a spacecraft with the intention of just keeping going, you would go on, and on, and on... forever. If it turns out we are in our own version of 'The Truman Show' and your spacecraft eventually hits the 'skin of the dome'... what is on the other side of the dome?

Science knows that space bends so there is no such thing as going in a straight line as most people think of it (space isn't Euclidean for those who understand the maths).

I'd expect if you went in a "straight line" you'd simply end up back where you started.

Exactly as you would if you walked out of your house and kept going in what you thought was a straight line but in fact was a path which moved around the circumference of a sphere.

Edited by oaksoft

Science knows that space bends so there is no such thing as going in a straight line as most people think of it (space isn't Euclidean for those who understand the maths).

I'd expect if you went in a "straight line" you'd simply end up back where you started.

Exactly as you would if you walked out of your house and kept going in what you thought was a straight line but in fact was a path which moved around the circumference of a sphere.

Wow!

Oh dear. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

PS I leave the "intelligent" stuff to, well, anybody except you.

You are possibly the most illiterate, mind numbingly boring poster on the forum.

Sorry for being so frank.

Me, well I strive to have a bit of a laugh on here.

I suppose it's appreciated by some. bye1.gifbye1.gifbye1.gif

In fairness, what you are doing is taking the piss out of someone who likes to occasionally think about complex things as a way of compensating for your own ignorance on virtually everything.

Having intellectual thoughts isn't something to be ashamed of but people like you like to try and make people think it is.

Graeme Speirs was talking about the same thing on the radio on Saturday night - the fact that nothing intellectual is allowed to be discussed for fear of having the piss taken out of you. It rightly frustrates him. He gets it with his accent.

Maybe, just maybe if the rest of us fancy swimming in "pointless" intellectual pish from time to time you should just leave us to it.

Don't worry, we'll be back to talking about football and tits soon. We won't leave you without friends on here. bye1.gif

Naturally, my point was purely hypothetical - as I don't imagine spaceships that would enable someone to leave Earth and just keep going and going are about to come into service anytime soon. Unless Richard Branson... nah.

Anyway, 'space' as I think of it is that big black stuff beyond our atmosphere which contains the planets and moons I know about, and beyond those, more stars and galaxies and comets flying about... in simple terms naturally. I cannot get my head around the concept that space is not infinite. Going back to my 'Truman Show' analagy. If it isn't infinite, how can it just end. If it does just end, what's on the other side?

In my mind, it just keeps going and going and going, and is filled with stars, galaxies, planets and Shull's threads.

Edited by pozbaird

In fairness, what you are doing is taking the piss out of someone who likes to occasionally think about complex things as a way of compensating for your own ignorance on virtually everything.

Having intellectual thoughts isn't something to be ashamed of but people like you like to try and make people think it is.

Graeme Speirs was talking about the same thing on the radio on Saturday night - the fact that nothing intellectual is allowed to be discussed for fear of having the piss taken out of you. It rightly frustrates him. He gets it with his accent.

Maybe, just maybe if the rest of us fancy swimming in "pointless" intellectual pish from time to time you should just leave us to it.

Don't worry, we'll be back to talking about football and tits soon. We won't leave you without friends on here. bye1.gif

Your funny, in a clown type of way.

PS Remind me, when WAS the last time you attended any football match?

I like your "intellectual" debates, especially when you tell everyone they're wrong and you're right, ya trumpet. 1eye.gif

Edited by faraway saint

I'll tell you tomorrow. Simply because I want to make sure I get the explanation right. It involves the word infinity quite a lot. I'll type it out at work tomorrow and check it before I cut/paste it to here. Until tomorrow then...

Bollocks... You're waiting until tomorrow so you can make sure it's dark outside tonight.

Chancer... I can see right through your cunning plan!

f**k it, I'll give it a go - in bite size chunks.

The Universe is expanding - fact.

Assumption - the Universe is infinite.

If the universe is infinite then it has been expanding for an infinite amount of time.

It will have an infinite amount of stars due to the fact that there is an infinite amount of space for stars to be in.

So no matter where you look in the sky you would be looking at a star. The sky would basically be full of stars at various distances from us.

Since there has been an infinite amount of time, the light from those stars would reach us, no matter how far away they are - even an infinite distance away (since all infinities are equal).

So, no matter where you looked in the sky, at any time of day or night, there would be light. So it wouldn't be dark at night.

Since it is dark at night, the assumption must be wrong and the Universe can't be infinite.

I've probably made a wee mistake or forgot a wee bit somewhere, but that is the gist of it.

Triple WOW!

f**k it, I'll give it a go - in bite size chunks.

The Universe is expanding - fact.

Assumption - the Universe is infinite.

If the universe is infinite then it has been expanding for an infinite amount of time.

It will have an infinite amount of stars due to the fact that there is an infinite amount of space for stars to be in.

So no matter where you look in the sky you would be looking at a star. The sky would basically be full of stars at various distances from us.

Since there has been an infinite amount of time, the light from those stars would reach us, no matter how far away they are - even an infinite distance away (since all infinities are equal).

So, no matter where you looked in the sky, at any time of day or night, there would be light. So it wouldn't be dark at night.

Since it is dark at night, the assumption must be wrong and the Universe can't be infinite.

I've probably made a wee mistake or forgot a wee bit somewhere, but that is the gist of it.

I kind of understand that, but my problem is that if the universe is expanding - what is it expanding into? I'm not particularly bothered mind you, if the Earth keeps spinning and the sun keeps shining, I'll settle for that.

Naturally, my point was purely hypothetical - as I don't imagine spaceships that would enable someone to leave Earth and just keep going and going are about to come into service anytime soon. Unless Richard Branson... nah.

Anyway, 'space' as I think of it is that big black stuff beyond our atmosphere which contains the planets and moons I know about, and beyond those, more stars and galaxies and comets flying about... in simple terms naturally. I cannot get my head around the concept that space is not infinite. Going back to my 'Truman Show' analagy. If it isn't infinite, how can it just end. If it does just end, what's on the other side?

In my mind, it just keeps going and going and going, and is filled with stars, galaxies, planets and Shull's threads.

Of course , to be able to travel any decent distance outside our current solar system , going at the speed of light , still isnae going to cut it . We would require something that could go at multiples of light speed , Hyperluminary projection. .

Whether bodies made from protoplasm could handle those speeds is another matter. .

You don't need to travel at those kinds of speeds - if that is even possible. You just need to figure out a way to curve space even more than it normally is so that it essentially curves round and touches itself, then you just "step" across. The same as if you put a dot at the top and bottom ends of a sheet of paper, they are the length (or height or whatever) of the paper apart. You can then roll (curve) the paper so that the dots sit on top of each other, so they are (almost) in the same place and there is (almost) no distance between them. It's a simple idea, it's just difficult to try and figure out how to actually do it - a bit like St Mirren strikers trying to figure out how to score a goal.

I understood most of that.

Except for the concept of a Saint Mirren striker figuring out how to score a goal. Surely that bit's impossible? ....... Shirley>>>lol.gif

Nothing - or at least nothing that we can know about.

It's best just to follow the teachings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and become a Pastafarian, you'll be much happier - especially on Talk Like A Pirate Day - and not worry about these sort if things.

Exactly (apart from the pasta stuff...) my take on infinity :)

I have a birthday in a fortnight or so. :(

The human life span helps focus on matters other than infinity. Infinity, bifuc!

Happy unbirthday to me. :)

You don't need to travel at those kinds of speeds - if that is even possible. You just need to figure out a way to curve space even more than it normally is so that it essentially curves round and touches itself, then you just "step" across. The same as if you put a dot at the top and bottom ends of a sheet of paper, they are the length (or height or whatever) of the paper apart. You can then roll (curve) the paper so that the dots sit on top of each other, so they are (almost) in the same place and there is (almost) no distance between them. It's a simple idea, it's just difficult to try and figure out how to actually do it - a bit like St Mirren strikers trying to figure out how to score a goal.

The way I heard that theory described was , the effect an indoor bowling ball would have on a waterbed if you sat it on the middle of the bed , effectively the edges of the bed would become closer by reason of the ball warping the shape of the bed and so , the theory is that you can warp space by exerting some sort of force or pressure . I'm still of the opinion you need a ship that can go as fast as f**k and have some sort of anti-gravity motor. .the Saint Mirren striker , moving quickly enough , could get in position , waaaaay before anyone else and then get the shot in before they know what has hit them , simple , aether physics , really. .

The way I heard that theory described was , the effect an indoor bowling ball would have on a waterbed if you sat it on the middle of the bed , effectively the edges of the bed would become closer by reason of the ball warping the shape of the bed and so , the theory is that you can warp space by exerting some sort of force or pressure . I'm still of the opinion you need a ship that can go as fast as f**k and have some sort of anti-gravity motor. .the Saint Mirren striker , moving quickly enough , could get in position , waaaaay before anyone else and then get the shot in before they know what has hit them , simple , aether physics , really. .

Anti-gravity motors would be a bugger to get spark plugs for if they broke down three hundred zillion light years from home. Fcuked finding a Halfords out there.

I'm now convinced. Stay at home on Planet Earth. Sure, there's IS terrorists and Arquin around, but there's also cream cakes and beer, and some other decent stuff... and Halfords.

Anti-gravity motors would be a bugger to get spark plugs for if they broke down three hundred zillion light years from home. Fcuked finding a Halfords out there.

I'm now convinced. Stay at home on Planet Earth. Sure, there's IS terrorists and Arquin around, but there's also cream cakes and beer, and some other decent stuff... and Halfords.

Bloody hell , surely no one buys spark plugs from Halfrauds at their prices wacko.png

Get them from the main dealer , or main inter-stellar dealer. .

You might struggle for a Saint shop out there , mind , especially one that has the latest team replicant strips. .

Are you disparaging his noodly appendage? I shall pray for you.

"Our Pasta, who “Arghh” in heaven..... For thine are the strippers, for ever and ever. RAmen."

Are you getting a telegram fae Lizzy on your birthday? :)

I told her to save the telegram money for another Tat.

Of which I disapprove....

http://grodpro.deviantart.com/art/Lizzy-398992803

Sometimes.

Getting any electronic gear would be a dawdle though.

They still have a comet in outerspace.