Kid In The Stand

I remember one Sunday playing fitba in the mid 60s with my big brother and his pals in the Camphill playground.

One end was a large set of pillars we used as goals.

The guy in goals was a smoker and didn't even put his ciggie down will playing.

He put it in his mouth when he was attempting a save.

I remember as if it was yesterday.

The ball smacked him square in the face.

Tobacco and ash all over his totally stunned fisog.

We were all pishing ourselves.

Aye, the good auld days.

In the mid-90s at high school when playing football in PE I once nutmegged a bigger boy, outmuscled him, ran past him and scored. The teacher was the ref and said it was fair. The bigger boy who was trying to save face spent about ten minutes moaning that it was a foul then at lunchtime tried to actually pick a fight with me purely because I had the cheek to be better at football than him and had bruised his ego. He was an utter wan*er.

In the mid-90s at high school when playing football in PE I once nutmegged a bigger boy, outmuscled him, ran past him and scored. The teacher was the ref and said it was fair. The bigger boy who was trying to save face spent about ten minutes moaning that it was a foul then at lunchtime tried to actually pick a fight with me purely because I had the cheek to be better at football than him and had bruised his ego. He was an utter wan*er.

Cheesy?

He gets the blame for everything else.

I remember one Sunday playing fitba in the mid 60s with my big brother and his pals in the Camphill playground.

One end was a large set of pillars we used as goals.

The guy in goals was a smoker and didn't even put his ciggie down will playing.

He put it in his mouth when he was attempting a save.

I remember as if it was yesterday.

The ball smacked him square in the face.

Tobacco and ash all over his totally stunned fisog.

We were all pishing ourselves.

Aye, the good auld days.

I don't recall that. Wisnae there, I guess. But...

Gibbie?

The other obvious goalmouth was behind the school where there was a gap in the wall that separated the boys playground from the girls. Right beside the girls' toilets. It was a hanging offence to go into their areas but we did it to get our ball back. Well, it was a good excuse.

You're right about that other goal - there was usually two games getting played at the same time. The wee one - for younger guys - at right angles to the big pitch, shooting towards the lassies' playground.

The big pitch, as described above with the goal at the cludgey and pillar, hitting towards the red brick wall of the carpentry/tech drawing building.

Edited by bluto

When the excellent Tennents Sixes were on, I remember a Dundee Utd fan walking up the stairs to take his seat in the back row of the stand. He had just come back from getting a tray of drinks and loads of hotdogs and crisps. He reached his seat, turned round and a stray shot, going at pace, smacked him in the face and sent all his food and drink skywards. I laughed for a week after that. Still makes me smile.

No Dundee Utd supporter was seriously injured in the telling of this story.

In the Good old days of Love street pre-seats, Kids used to sit on the trackside wall with our feet dangling over it. Often more interested in mucking about with mates rather than watching the game.

It was commonplace for some relative newbie who didnt know the dangers to do this behind the goal & get scudded due to saints inept marksmen, needless to say if they came back they made sure they sat elsewhere.

To the best of my knowledge, fatal injuries were rare , lawsuits were non existent & the offending player usually received a roasting from the crowd .

I`m surprised those who have taken offence haven`t demanded a public inquiry & a full page apology in the Times.