Jump to content

Budge For The Boot..?


Lord Pityme
 Share

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

I think if you banned every fan who shouted something along the lines of 'Irish Pr*ck' we wouldn't have many left in scotland judging by what I hear Saints fans shout at their own players never mind opposition. I dont think it's really sectarian or racist it's just heat of the moment calling someone a Pr*ck and throwing in their nationality. Not saying it is right but it happens at every football ground in the country every saturday.

That would be a good thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Yeh because we have a surplus of people wanting to pay to attend football matches in Scotland.

There is a HUGE appetite for football in this country but Scottish Football needs to become more middle class, less aggressive and more inclusive. What normal sane person wants to spend 90 minutes sitting next to some piece of absolute filth who is flicking Vs at the opposing fans and screaming his head off at players and refs? The people who have the most disposable income in this country (the middle classes) are simply not interested in this.

I can't get my kids to go to games anymore. The reason? They simply can't tolerate the behaviour of the other fans.

At the Morton game I sat directly in front of a pensioner who spent the entire game shrieking at the top of his voice. This guy isn't alone. Pick a week and you'll hear it from hundreds of others in the crowd. No way am I prepared to spend my precious free time next to people like that. Absolutely no way. Football is about pleasure and excitement for me. Within minutes of the final whistle I have forgotten the result. I have no interest in sharing oxygen with people who see it as life and death and behave accordingly.

We need an environment where kids and entire families can enjoy the sport on offer - win, lose or draw. We don't have that and it is nothing to do with the quality on the pitch.

England used to have the same problem with half empty stadia and the game ruled by all the wrong types of people and then in the early nineties they rebranded themselves, aimed at the middle classes, drove prices skywards and the rest is history.

If England can do it there is absolutely no explanation for why our clubs are sitting on their useless backsides doing the square root of nothing about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

There is a HUGE appetite for football in this country but Scottish Football needs to become more middle class, less aggressive and more inclusive. What normal sane person wants to spend 90 minutes sitting next to some piece of absolute filth who is flicking Vs at the opposing fans and screaming his head off at players and refs? The people who have the most disposable income in this country (the middle classes) are simply not interested in this.

I can't get my kids to go to games anymore. The reason? They simply can't tolerate the behaviour of the other fans.

At the Morton game I sat directly in front of a pensioner who spent the entire game shrieking at the top of his voice. This guy isn't alone. Pick a week and you'll hear it from hundreds of others in the crowd. No way am I prepared to spend my precious free time next to people like that. Absolutely no way. Football is about pleasure and excitement for me. Within minutes of the final whistle I have forgotten the result. I have no interest in sharing oxygen with people who see it as life and death and behave accordingly.

We need an environment where kids and entire families can enjoy the sport on offer - win, lose or draw. We don't have that and it is nothing to do with the quality on the pitch.

England used to have the same problem with half empty stadia and the game ruled by all the wrong types of people and then in the early nineties they rebranded themselves, aimed at the middle classes, drove prices skywards and the rest is history.

If England can do it there is absolutely no explanation for why our clubs are sitting on their useless backsides doing the square root of nothing about it.

I'm not convinced there is a "huge appetite" for football.

I happen to agree that some behaviour is off putting but there is an element that actually go along because of this.

I believe the bigger factor is the piss poor quality and these "middle classes" you mention would rather spend their money on other more appealing options.

Nothing is a simple as you make out, apart from your continual black or white approach to many issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm not convinced there is a "huge appetite" for football.

I happen to agree that some behaviour is off putting but there is an element that actually go along because of this.

I believe the bigger factor is the piss poor quality and these "middle classes" you mention would rather spend their money on other more appealing options.

Nothing is a simple as you make out, apart from your continual black or white approach to many issues. 

These middle classes have no problem attending English football matches and have done so since the game was reinvented down there well before the standard of football improved to the level it is now.

You reckon working class people are forking out £50 to £90 per match?

Sometimes things appear simple because they ARE simple.

Edited by oaksoft
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, oaksoft said:

These middle classes have no problem attending English football matches and have done so since the game was reinvented down there well before the standard of football improved to the level it is now.

You reckon working class people are forking out £50 to £90 per match?

Yes, next question?

You have no idea, really, you don't. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Yes, next question?

You have no idea, really, you don't. :lol:

You have a weak memory. Did you forget about the famous whining by Roy Keane amongst others that the Prawn Sandwich brigade had taken over football?

You would do a lot better if you simply explained why the English were able to attract Sky TV at a time when the English game was no better than our own and yet we were not, thus allowing them to buy the best players in the world.

How did we get left behind?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You have a weak memory. Did you forget about the famous whining by Roy Keane amongst others that the Prawn Sandwich brigade had taken over football?

You would do a lot better if you simply explained why the English were able to attract Sky TV at a time when the English game was no better than our own and yet we were not, thus allowing them to buy the best players in the world.

How did we get left behind?

 

Oh dear, aye because the "prawn sandwich" brigade are filling the grounds....................:lol:

Stop referring to England, it's got exactly what I said Scotland doesn't, quality football players. It wasn't better than our own? :lol:

We got left behind because we are not an attractive product.

Run along, this working class punter has football to watch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

 

Stop referring to England, it's got exactly what I said Scotland doesn't, quality football players. It wasn't better than our own? :lol:

 

Yeah I knew you wouldnt be smart enough to discuss this.

You are talking about where we are now. I asked about what happened around 25 years ago.

In the early 90s our game was no worse than Englands.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

 


Yes he did, but he didn't sign for Celtic until a few months after the game you mentioned below.
 

 

Ta, Cockles. :)

 

i had had just grudgingly been building up the quotes to enlighten LPM... But you did the right thing.

i'm sure he now gets it and wIll soon be along to reconcile his understanding with reality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah I knew you wouldnt be smart enough to discuss this.

You are talking about where we are now. I asked about what happened around 25 years ago.

In the early 90s our game was no worse than Englands.

 

I reckon you should go an have a look at a few of the English squads from 25 years ago and have a wee rethink about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, antrin said:

And, if I could be arsed I'd also set oaksoft straight, too.

poor guy gets his knowledge of fitba fae lucky dip bags.

He's middle class, doesn't know what a lucky bag is. :lol:

Gets all his knowledge from the internet along with a large dash of " I'm better than you so I must be right all the time"..............

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, oaksoft said:

There is a HUGE appetite for football in this country but Scottish Football needs to become more middle class, less aggressive and more inclusive. What normal sane person wants to spend 90 minutes sitting next to some piece of absolute filth who is flicking Vs at the opposing fans and screaming his head off at players and refs? The people who have the most disposable income in this country (the middle classes) are simply not interested in this.

I can't get my kids to go to games anymore. The reason? They simply can't tolerate the behaviour of the other fans.

At the Morton game I sat directly in front of a pensioner who spent the entire game shrieking at the top of his voice. This guy isn't alone. Pick a week and you'll hear it from hundreds of others in the crowd. No way am I prepared to spend my precious free time next to people like that. Absolutely no way. Football is about pleasure and excitement for me. Within minutes of the final whistle I have forgotten the result. I have no interest in sharing oxygen with people who see it as life and death and behave accordingly.

We need an environment where kids and entire families can enjoy the sport on offer - win, lose or draw. We don't have that and it is nothing to do with the quality on the pitch.

England used to have the same problem with half empty stadia and the game ruled by all the wrong types of people and then in the early nineties they rebranded themselves, aimed at the middle classes, drove prices skywards and the rest is history.

If England can do it there is absolutely no explanation for why our clubs are sitting on their useless backsides doing the square root of nothing about it.

Middle class and working class don't exist anymore. What makes you working class? Being a plumber, electrician, joiner etc? They make more money than anyone working in an office these days. I'm an engineer, I have a degree.. does that make me middle class? Because I like going to the football and so do most other people I know who would also be classed as middle class. You say the EPL rebranded and aimed at the middle class driving prices skyward... is that what you want here? The cheapest Arsenal season ticket costs over £1K.

If we could weed out people who swear and shout abuse then great, but that would mean a big drop in attendences in the short term at the very least and the scottish game can't afford that. There is no point comparing English Football to here when it comes to attendences, there are 56M people in England compared to 5.5M in Scotland and there are only slightly more teams in the top 4 Leagues down there.

Edited by irvine_buddie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Middle class and working class don't exist anymore. What makes you working class? Being a plumber, electrician, joiner etc? They make more money than anyone working in an office these days. I'm an engineer, I have a degree.. does that make me middle class? Because I like going to the football and so do most other people I know who would also be classed as middle class. You say the EPL rebranded and aimed at the middle class driving prices skyward... is that what you want here? The cheapest Arsenal season ticket costs over £1K.

If we could weed out people who swear and shout abuse then great, but that would mean a big drop in attendences in the short term at the very least and the scottish game can't afford that. There is no point comparing English Football to here when it comes to attendences, there are 56M people in England compared to 5.5M in Scotland and there are only slightly more teams in the top 4 Leagues down there.

I think we discussed this a few weeks back on another thread and I posted about what I felt were the differences.

Class is not about money. It is largely about attitude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think we discussed this a few weeks back on another thread and I posted about what I felt were the differences.

Class is not about money. It is largely about attitude.

Ah I see...so people who consider themselves middle class are pompous arseholes who believe they are too good to mix with the scum at footie games? :ph34r:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...