JD sports

spoogy1

I would like to get people's thoughts on the supposed new deal the club might sign with the farce that is JD sports, as I have said on the strip page if the club go's ahead and signs a new deal it should have both the club and there fans interest at the heart of it. I would like the club to tell these clown that strips should be out end of June mid July latest and also any manufacturing faults with strips causing a return by fans or even a delay in sales then JD have to 1. Stump up compensation or 2. The contract should be terminated on the grounds that the contract is breached. As I have said this is only what I think we should have, others might agree and others might disagree if we a supporters get a good enough idea off what we want then maybe smisa or fans council could take this up with the board.

My understanding is that it's a good payday for the club, what I don't understand though is how almost every year there has been some sort of mess up by JD Sports. Whether this be quality or quantity of the strips and I believe it is just not us this season, other clubs are involved as well. As you mentioned there has to be something in the service contract stipulating fines or get out clauses if they don't meet their obligations.

Simply open a shop at the ground on Matchday and give everyone with a season ticket a discount on any products that they buy. If you don't have a season ticket then the club could sell membership tickets that give the fan a discount at the shop. Do this and all will be forgiven, lol :P

The club don't rely on shirt sales , the JD deal gives them a set amount with probably only if they sell more than x amount the club might get extra , so don't think the club would be over concerned about how JD's handle things.If JD's offered the club another deal I would be surprised if the BOD could afford to knock it back IMO.

38 minutes ago, spoogy1 said:

I would like to get people's thoughts on the supposed new deal the club might sign with the farce that is JD sports, as I have said on the strip page if the club go's ahead and signs a new deal it should have both the club and there fans interest at the heart of it. I would like the club to tell these clown that strips should be out end of June mid July latest and also any manufacturing faults with strips causing a return by fans or even a delay in sales then JD have to 1. Stump up compensation or 2. The contract should be terminated on the grounds that the contract is breached. As I have said this is only what I think we should have, others might agree and others might disagree if we a supporters get a good enough idea off what we want then maybe smisa or fans council could take this up with the board.

Given how small a contract our strips will be for a company like JD, I doubt we have very much, if any bargaining power to demand the clauses you are seeking in any future contracts. It must be very convenient for the club to not have to worry about sales with regards to profit / loss on replica strips so I can see why the deal is attractive to the club. At the end of the day the club will claim (rightly) to have entered into a contract with a recognised major high street retailer and it's outwith their control after that.  Designing, manufacturing then retailing the merchandise locally / in-house will be far less cost effective and there would be no guarantees on quality or schedule much the same as we see now.

Having spent most of working life writing and negotiating contracts (mostly for goods and services) I'm quite confident that the sort of things that fans are asking for will not, indeed cannot, be achieved in a contract of this type. There is little or no profit margin for JD in this contract, indeed it might well run at a loss. The benefit is in the marketing and publicity it gets from the deal to support their retail outlets in the locality. The fact that the fans are up in arms every close season is easily outweighed by the public face of their promotions.  How many shirts do they sell in a season - I doubt it will enough to lose them a nights sleep if they lost the deal when it is next negotiated - the will find alternatives to reach the local punters.

The JD contract offers the club a risk free deal. The benefits of this type of contract are the guaranteed income and support the club receives from the provider.  It will be a brave man who walks away from a deal of this type because the clauses the fans want will never be accepted by a major provider for a contract value as small as this.  Sadly we need the money more than the fans need their jumpers in July.

14 hours ago, rabuddies said:

Having spent most of working life writing and negotiating contracts (mostly for goods and services) I'm quite confident that the sort of things that fans are asking for will not, indeed cannot, be achieved in a contract of this type. There is little or no profit margin for JD in this contract, indeed it might well run at a loss. The benefit is in the marketing and publicity it gets from the deal to support their retail outlets in the locality. The fact that the fans are up in arms every close season is easily outweighed by the public face of their promotions.  How many shirts do they sell in a season - I doubt it will enough to lose them a nights sleep if they lost the deal when it is next negotiated - the will find alternatives to reach the local punters.

The JD contract offers the club a risk free deal. The benefits of this type of contract are the guaranteed income and support the club receives from the provider.  It will be a brave man who walks away from a deal of this type because the clauses the fans want will never be accepted by a major provider for a contract value as small as this.  Sadly we need the money more than the fans need their jumpers in July.

Unfortunately you are correct. That being said though, it doesn't bode well that our club are apparently shit scared to take JD to task publicly when they are falling miles short of expectations. Inverness have had the baws to do it on several occasions and are now publicly admitting they'll be debating whether their contract is worth continuing with JD going forward. Meanwhile St. Mirren sit on their hands and whilst correctly stating that it's not their doing, fall short of being critical of the suppliers. 

If it was a one off then fair enough but this is now in danger of becoming an annual event. JD can apologise and blame suppliers all they like but the kicker is that they own Cabrini, so ultimately they are responsible for their own suppliers. 

52 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Unfortunately you are correct. That being said though, it doesn't bode well that our club are apparently shit scared to take JD to task publicly when they are falling miles short of expectations. Inverness have had the baws to do it on several occasions and are now publicly admitting they'll be debating whether their contract is worth continuing with JD going forward. Meanwhile St. Mirren sit on their hands and whilst correctly stating that it's not their doing, fall short of being critical of the suppliers. 

If it was a one off then fair enough but this is now in danger of becoming an annual event. JD can apologise and blame suppliers all they like but the kicker is that they own Cabrini, so ultimately they are responsible for their own suppliers. 

All this talk of being "shit scared", taking "JD to tasl publicly and Inverness having "the baws to do it" is all macho bollox. You would last two seconds in any negotiation adopting that sort of attitude. Others are correct in the sense that we probably have absolutely no bargaining position with them. It will be take it or leave it in all likelihood.

Rather than mess around worrying about JD, we need to recognise that the club has two choices.

1) Continue to take the money from JD and accept no control over strip availability, risking fan frustration and bad will. BUT having minimised the risk and maximised the financial benefit to the club.

OR

2) Decide that the fans come first before commercial concerns, change suppliers and bring it inhouse or have a local business sell for them. This improves fan relations but comes with significant risk. It will probably will be more expensive to produce the kit because we no longer would be part of the greater bargaining power that JD would have with manufacturers. Sales income would fluctuate depending on the success of the team, design of the kit etc.

The club need to make that choice. It's not an easy one.

Edited by oaksoft