Great Sporting Moments

faraway saint

After witnessing Andy Murray beat Djokovoc last night to cement his place as the world number one it occurred to me that I have been fortunate to witness some, IMO, great sporting moments in my lifetime.

The 1970 World Cup final was magical for all sorts of reasons.

The Scotland football team qualifying for 5 World Cups in a row from 1974. Sure the tournaments were disappointing but getting to them was inspiring stiff that provided a buzz for days after.

The days Scottish clubs were a force in Europe, again providing great moments for Scottish sport.

Alex Ferguson showing he was the greatest football manger in my lifetime, and probably ever.

St Mirren reaching 3 national cup finals and winning two of them.

Yeah, a lucky period in the world of sport and many great memories.

Back to Andy Murray, a Scottish tennis player........................still makes me smile as this wasn't on the radar just 15 years ago.

In fact there was more chance of little green men landing on earth than this happening. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

My great non football moment was when David Sole walked the Scottish rugby team onto Murrayfield in 1990 to win the Calcutta cup, and put Will Carling and the rest of the English team in their place. All Ryder cup wins against the yanks also pleases me greatly.