So Farewell Then George Michael

shull

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Post Diana my arse. :1eye

John Lennon, 1980, days/weeks of "mourning" or whatever you want to call it.

I could go on but I can't be arsed. <_<

I think I understand what FS was getting at and was fair enough comment in my view.   To be fair, Lennon's death was that of a musician whose fame far eclipsed that of  Michael and I recall the coverage being very candid about Lennon's personality at the time in a way that doesn't tend to happen now.  Perhaps what Faraway is referring to is how, since Diana's death there's been a trend towards an individual's impact being magnified disproportionately and uncritically (re-)appraised as a matter of course, i.e. 'as is the way of things.'   I'd have to agree and we could I'm sure all rattle off lots of examples of this.

Anyway, while his music wasn't my cup of tea, there's no doubt the bloke could really sing (but so what) as his stint with Queen showed.   I only comment because I stayed, and had dinner, at The Miller of Mansfield pub in Goring earlier in the year  (nice place). GM was dining at the adjacent table and I recall us saying privately, later that evening, that he looked overweight, unfit and generally unhealthy and might need to watch out...    I'm almost exactly he same age as he was so for me it's yet another moderately sobering reminder of the fragility of existence.  Time for drink.

1 hour ago, zurich_allan said:

As it goes, I actually think the opposite. I think many people relate to George Michael's death because in spite of his fame he was 'normal' in that he was flawed, he had issues, and yet he didn't hide them, he embraced them. Definitely was a big part of my childhood and teenage years.

Slade were a big part of my teenage years and the first band I saw live in 1974. The fact remains, that when Noddy Holder pops his clogs, he was a pop singer who I never knew, never met, wasn't related to or was best friends with.

I see no need for me to go to his house, cry, light candles, leave flowers, scrawl a 'I love you Noddy you touched my life' note... and try to get my fizzog on the telly while doing it. Unlike some when Bowie kakked it.

Bad news for Quo though. There's the 'best of Quo' CD's chances of being the New Year No1 well and truly fcuked.

1 hour ago, zurich_allan said:

As it goes, I actually think the opposite. I think many people relate to George Michael's death because in spite of his fame he was 'normal' in that he was flawed, he had issues, and yet he didn't hide them, he embraced them. Definitely was a big part of my childhood and teenage years.

If by "normal" you mean regular substance abuse and criminal conviction for lewd behaviour in public toilets then I must only know fellow abnormal people!

5 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

If by "normal" you mean regular substance abuse and criminal conviction for lewd behaviour in public toilets then I must only know fellow abnormal people!

He would have loved the roofless lavvies at Love Street - not the 'let's go outside' he meant mind you.

I think it's more that everybody knows somebody who suffers or has suffered through substance (whether drugs or drink) abuse, and many will also know people who have struggled or had issues related to their sexuality. Criminal conviction doesn't mean people are 'bad' as such either. He was human.

3 minutes ago, zurich_allan said:

I think it's more that everybody knows somebody who suffers or has suffered through substance (whether drugs or drink) abuse, and many will also know people who have struggled or had issues related to their sexuality. Criminal conviction doesn't mean people are 'bad' as such either. He was human.

Bit of a cnut though, wasn't he...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11299938

On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 1:09 AM, Stuart Dickson said:

His Last Christmas right enough....

There is never a lot of news on at Christmas news rooms run with skeleton staff. The death of George would be a God send to news rooms to help fill up time and space. 

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Aye, you're flawless, shull

I am not flawless. A few minor faults. 

Although, I don't drive on public roads under the influence of drugs or alcohol. 

I don't consume illegal drugs. 

I dinnae hing about toilets. 

I suppose compared to him, I am fairly normal and decent. 

He can allegedly sing and gives to charity so that makes him sooper dooper. 

A drunk driver is selfish scum? 

Guest TPAFKATS
I am not flawless. A few minor faults. 
Although, I don't drive on public roads under the influence of drugs or alcohol. 
I don't consume illegal drugs. 
I dinnae hing about toilets. 
I suppose compared to him, I am fairly normal and decent. 
He can allegedly sing and gives to charity so that makes him sooper dooper. 
A drunk driver is selfish scum? 

Is it just the legal drugs you consume?
I'm not sure anybody in this part of the country hints aboot toilets anymore. The cooncil closed them all doon. Too many taxi drivers using them?

7 minutes ago, antrin said:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.  Is that really you, shull...?

Like those who danced on Maggie's grave? 

And I never said I was perfect. 

Far from it. 

Edited by shull

2 minutes ago, shull said:

Two daft posts above. 

I never said I took drugs, legal or otherwise. 

Where does it say nobody can drive if taking legal drugs? 

Prescription or not. 

All prescription drugs come with admonitions.

Like people who have a pint then drive, people on drugs are taking a risk - and many of them push it too far...

If you are driving under the influence of drugs you are committing a misdemeanour.

I'm not surprised that some taxi drivers don't bother with the rules.  They're for other people.

And thanks, cockles. I see you've offered a link to where it might say that drugs can impair driving.

For those who are without sin.