Strict Liability at Football Grounds

St.Ricky

The incidents concerning Neil Lennon and Assistant Referees together with general dissatisfaction with the continued singing of religious /political songs which offend many has raised the question of Strict Liability in the Scottish Game.  This applies when Scottish teams play in Europe but not at home.  Should it?  Would you like to see clubs held directly responsible for the behaviour of their fans and face fines,  closed door games,  bans on travelling support or points deductions for repeated offences? 

10 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

The incidents concerning Neil Lennon and Assistant Referees together with general dissatisfaction with the continued singing of religious /political songs which offend many has raised the question of Strict Liability in the Scottish Game.  This applies when Scottish teams play in Europe but not at home.  Should it?  Would you like to see clubs held directly responsible for the behaviour of their fans and face fines,  closed door games,  bans on travelling support or points deductions for repeated offences? 

I wouldn't like to see the clubs punished as there is very little the clubs can do to control the behavior of one or two fans. Attempts in the past by clubs to control fans behavior have resulted in punishing the majority and treating normal law abiding fans as criminals. As we have seen ourselves. 

The crux of it is , grown adults are responsible for their own behavior. That includes inside and outside football grounds. We are all governed by the same laws no matter where we are. Its up to the police to arrest and prosecute people the same way they would do outside of football grounds for the same type of behavior.

Edited by LargsBud

5 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

I wouldn't like to see the clubs punished as there is very little the clubs can to control the behavior of one or two fans. Attempts in the past by clubs to control fans behavior have resulted in punishing the majority and treating normal law abiding fans as criminals. As we have seen ourselves. 

The crux of it is , grown adults are responsible for their own behavior. That includes inside and outside football grounds. We are all governed by the same laws no matter where we are. Its up to the police to arrest and prosecute people the same way they would do outside of football grounds for the same type of behavior.

I see where you are coming from.  What role, if any,  do fans have in self policing? 

Just boot Celtic and Sevco out of Scottish Football. 

Major problem solved. 

Any other offences by individuals of the other 40 Clubs can be treated by the Courts. 

The decent majority at Hearts and Hibs will sort their scum minority as will those in charge of both Clubs. 

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I see where you are coming from.  What role, if any,  do fans have in self policing? 

I think fans do have a responsibility to self police within reason. 

The incident of the coin throwing the other night is impossible to self police as it happens so quickly and most people would probably miss it getting thrown. But if someone in the crowd is giving an opposition player/manager sectarian abuse for 90 mins I would expect the fans to deal with the guy.

2 hours ago, chalky1 said:

Clubs will not ban travelling fans of the OF, too much money to throw away by banning them. 

Fair point unless the downside for the clubs hosting them are penalised for not taking action. 

If I went to the cinema or theatre and someone was disruptive then I would expect the cinema or theatre management to take action. 

If I suffered as a result of their inaction then I would feel free to seek redress. 

23 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

I think fans do have a responsibility to self police within reason. 

The incident of the coin throwing the other night is impossible to self police as it happens so quickly and most people would probably miss it getting thrown. But if someone in the crowd is giving an opposition player/manager sectarian abuse for 90 mins I would expect the fans to deal with the guy.

So.. If it happens next to OR in front off you,  do you call the stewards and police and identify the culprit? 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Fair point unless the downside for the clubs hosting them are penalised for not taking action. 

If I went to the cinema or theatre and someone was disruptive then I would expect the cinema or theatre management to take action. 

If I suffered as a result of their inaction then I would feel free to seek redress. 

Don't see how the hosting club should be penalised if away fans are signing these songs. Been at Greenhill Road against the OF and the police have came up to me and told me to sit down, yet 1600+ are in the away end and nothing is being done about it.

Don't disagree with what your saying but if I went to the cinema / theatre and I complained about someone, if nothing was done I simply wouldn't go back and I would make sure that anyone who asked about my experience would know.

It now seems that when the OF come along, us fans don't want to go because of what they bring to the game.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

So.. If it happens next to OR in front off you,  do you call the stewards and police and identify the culprit? 

Don't know if I would call the stewards straight away, I would tell the person to simply stop, if it continued then I would report it

6 hours ago, LargsBud said:

I wouldn't like to see the clubs punished as there is very little the clubs can do to control the behavior of one or two fans. Attempts in the past by clubs to control fans behavior have resulted in punishing the majority and treating normal law abiding fans as criminals. As we have seen ourselves. 

behaviour