The Oscars

shull

1 hour ago, Slarti said:
2 hours ago, stlucifer said:
I'm not condoning what he did but I certainly can see why he was incensed. Rock had no right to make Smith's wife's condition the butt of a joke.

So where's your line? Bushy eyebrows, big ears, freckles, hair colour, ...?

Oi!!!

It’s Sun-kisses.

A well known sign of beauty, as my Maw explained to me.

1 hour ago, Slarti said:
2 hours ago, stlucifer said:
I'm not condoning what he did but I certainly can see why he was incensed. Rock had no right to make Smith's wife's condition the butt of a joke.

So where's your line? Bushy eyebrows, big ears, freckles, hair colour, ...?

Get real. Bushy eyebrows and, big ears, which both could be considered subjective, and hair colour are NOT medical conditions.

Get real. Bushy eyebrows and, big ears, which both could be considered subjective, and hair colour are NOT medical conditions.
And????

It's all genetic, that's why some get certain medical conditions and some don't. Yes, there can be contributing external factors but still, some get them and some don't when exposed to the same things.

Anyway, where is your line?

2 hours ago, Slarti said:

And????

It's all genetic, that's why some get certain medical conditions and some don't. Yes, there can be contributing external factors but still, some get them and some don't when exposed to the same things.

Anyway, where is your line?

And.

You're comparing apples with oranges. I'm just amazed that you don't think you'ld have some sort of reaction if your wife was ridiculed in public. As for a "line". 

Simply put. If someone publically targetted a "JOKE" at anyone I cared about as to their medical condition, any medical condition, I would definitely react.

Edited by stlucifer

4 hours ago, stlucifer said:

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

He was thinking "My wife's just been publicly ridiculed so I'm going to slap the twat", all fairly obvious. 

There's a reason in the modern day that many comedians who have historically made a career out of offending humour spend a good chunk of their routine explaining they are just jokes & not to get offended.

Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes is a really good example. "Remember they're just jokes, we're all going to die soon and there's no sequel" Jimmy Carr, Frankie Boyle, Dave Chappelle just some of the recent examples that have done the same in recent routines, there will be far more. 

You can find the joke by Chris Rock funny or not funny, but ultimately it was just a joke. If we say that joke wasn't appropriate, you pretty much couldn't put together a routine for many comedians. I have little doubt when things settle a bit, some of the cancel culture stuff will target Rock, possibly as much or more as Smith for the slap.

Cancel culture is why comedians need to defend their jokes in routines before they even tell them. It's a bit gash IMO. 

And.
You're comparing apples with oranges. I'm just amazed that you don't think you'ld have some sort of reaction if your wife was ridiculed in public. As for a "line". 
Simply put. If someone publically targetted a "JOKE" at anyone I cared about as to their medical condition, any medical condition, I would definitely react.
What about acne?

So if it was targeted at someone you never knew, you'd be fine with it?

52 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

There's a reason in the modern day that many comedians who have historically made a career out of offending humour spend a good chunk of their routine explaining they are just jokes & not to get offended.

Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes is a really good example. "Remember they're just jokes, we're all going to die soon and there's no sequel" Jimmy Carr, Frankie Boyle, Dave Chappelle just some of the recent examples that have done the same in recent routines, there will be far more. 

You can find the joke by Chris Rock funny or not funny, but ultimately it was just a joke. If we say that joke wasn't appropriate, you pretty much couldn't put together a routine for many comedians. I have little doubt when things settle a bit, some of the cancel culture stuff will target Rock, possibly as much or more as Smith for the slap.

Cancel culture is why comedians need to defend their jokes in routines before they even tell them. It's a bit gash IMO. 

Now this is going too far with cancel culture. No more Ploughman’s Lunch. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/27/cancel-culture-takes-beloved-pub-dish-menu-ploughmans-lunch/

55 minutes ago, Slarti said:

What about acne?

So if it was targeted at someone you never knew, you'd be fine with it?

What about acne?

If it was targeted at someone I never knew I'd still find it distasteful.

This was a personal issue, not a general issue, as most "jokes" about sensitive subjects are, quite different IMO. 

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What about acne?

This was a personal issue, not a general issue, as most "jokes" about sensitive subjects are, quite different IMO. 

Strange to find myself agreeing with FS but on this I do. Too personal. 

What about acne?
I'm just trying to find out where Lucy's line is regarding what's an acceptable subject for comedy.

I don't suppose I'll get anything close to a straight answer, though.

I don't see see him denouncing the "heightest" comments about yourself from various people. Maybe, to him, certain subjects are unacceptable for jokes but acceptable for abuse. Or maybe it depends on the target, or the joker/abuser.

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What about acne?

For someone that’s used ‘snowflake’ so often on this forum, you’re getting awful upset over a joke. 😂😂

5 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

For someone that’s used ‘snowflake’ so often on this forum, you’re getting awful upset over a joke. 😂😂

Who said i was upset at a joke?

I would be upset if someone aimed distasteful comment, in public, at my wife, who was sitting yards from him?

I know you would just sit there, sums you up. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Slarti said:

I'm just trying to find out where Lucy's line is regarding what's an acceptable subject for comedy.

I don't suppose I'll get anything close to a straight answer, though.

I don't see see him denouncing the "heightest" comments about yourself from various people. Maybe, to him, certain subjects are unacceptable for jokes but acceptable for abuse. Or maybe it depends on the target, or the joker/abuser.

I would do a Will Smith if someone said that type of shit to my face, am I bad?