We Buy Any Car

faraway saint

Early front runners in the purchasing of our next car are MG HS Hatch back

Don't just don't.

I know 2 folk that have bought MG's.

Both have got rid of them for the following reasons.

MPG was way worse than they say and that is low to start with, but it was more the unreliability and unavailability of spare parts.

PS you looked at the Peugeot 2008.

5 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Don't just don't.

I know 2 folk that have bought MG's.

Both have got rid of them for the following reasons.

MPG was way worse than they say and that is low to start with, but it was more the unreliability and unavailability of spare parts.

PS you looked at the Peugeot 2008.

Mrs Faraway seen a decent Peugeot 2008 a wee while ago but we've looked at that many, oh, wait, just found it again. :lol:

39 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Any info on Mazda? 

I had a Mazda 6 a few years ago, great car, nice inside, possibly the best car I've had, but I hasten to add I'm not "into" cars. 

Like volvo, they are built on a ford chassis, we had a 121 that looked like a fiesta, a long time ago now but we loved it

those i know who bought one compared it very favourably to a juke which is a shit car

What are people views/experiences of all electric vehicles?

My wife is really keen on them but I’m not as 

- I have real concerns about travelling any distance without constantly watching the range. 

- having to find a charger to recharge ideally fast and get back on road. I’ve read so many horror stories about finding chargers in use with queues or not even working

- issues with the so called green credentials of EV in terms of battery production

- having to deal with the cost of replacing batteries.

- potentially manufacturers downloading software to degrade the battery life as we have seen with phones and tablets

A mate of mine had a hybrid Honda civic. It was insane to drive and very economical in fuel despite him driving it like he stole it all the time.

We have relatives who brought their polestar thing up from Kent last year, they said never again as anything north of the Manchester area they were starting to struggle with it as charging areas for it were getting less being more restricted to service stations. And then in West cumbria virtually none at the time. 

For a car that has about 250 miles on a full charge where they live in Kent its ideal.

Anyway back to topic WBAC do charge an admin fee and do an inspection so any issues that they see will knock the price down. They are owned by British Car Auctions so like any business they try to turn a profit on what they buy.

However when it comes to cars we need the larger car with 7/8 seats, automatic so Mrs CS can drive it too(loose term) and preferably with a chain driven engine and not timing belt job.

Kind of narrows it down a bit and saves a lot of messing about with car salespeople.

2 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Anyway back to topic WBAC do charge an admin fee and do an inspection so any issues that they see will knock the price down. They are owned by British Car Auctions so like any business they try to turn a profit on what they buy.

However when it comes to cars we need the larger car with 7/8 seats, automatic so Mrs CS can drive it too(loose term) and preferably with a chain driven engine and not timing belt job.

Kind of narrows it down a bit and saves a lot of messing about with car salespeople.

Honda steppedd away from the rubber belt some years ago and currently, i hear, all their cars have a chain that will ast the engine's lifetime

My wife's astra needed a new chain after 46000 miles, the only warning was increased vibration when cold and we only noticed that when the coil-pack cover started rattling.  £900 to get a new chain in a vauxhall engine was sore  but i suppose it could have been the whole engine that went.

Through bitter experience, I know too much about cars for someone who hates them.  If i could do without i definitely would

3 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

- I have real concerns about travelling any distance without constantly watching the range. 

- having to find a charger to recharge ideally fast and get back on road. I’ve read so many horror stories about finding chargers in use with queues or not even working

- issues with the so called green credentials of EV in terms of battery production

- potentially manufacturers downloading software to degrade the battery life as we have seen with phones and tablets

A mate of mine had a hybrid Honda civic. It was insane to drive and very economical in fuel despite him driving it like he stole it all the time.

We have 2 electric cars and they are great. it really depends on 1) Where you stay and the amount of (particularly charge place scotland rapid chargers nearby)  2) If you are a bit further away from a rapid charger - do you have the option to have a home charger installed. 3) Do you travel long distances regularly and 4) The range of the car you are looking at - if you get a long range model then they are worth it.

I stay in a flat but have a rapid charger nearby and sometimes have to wait half an hour for someone to finish charging up to 80% which is what is recommended for battery usage but also have a business that lets me charge for free within walking distance and is always available, although it isnt a rapid charger so I just drop if off put it on charge and walk about 5 mins back to the flat and vice versa. We haven't had to pay for any fuel for about 2 years now as we only use free charging. You need to have a bit of time free to charge the car and if you are looking at one for work purposes then I wouldn't recommend one at this moment in time due to a variety of factors.

With regards to selling bangers. There is a scottish low emiision energy trust grant available to those disposing of older high emission vehicles. My partner bought a car so we had a 2nd run around car 3 years ago for £1400. It got hit while stationary by another car and we got £1700 from insurance as it was classed as Cat D. We got £460 for scrapping it. £2000 grant after sending them the certificate of destruction plus another £1000 towards another low emission car so overall £3760 profit. 😃

You need to be withoin 20km of a city and the owner has had to own the car for a year or longer and receive some sort of benefit. If anybody wants more info on the above let me know.

Got my Toyota Yaris hybrid last April and overall really like it but although getting 60-70 mpg over most of the year winter has reduced that to just over 50 mpg due I would suspect due to the impact of the cold on when the battery kicks in and I presume additional use of heating etc. This was always my worry over full electric as most of my long distance driving is during the colder months of the year and range would be impacted by the temp driving in and heaters etc. 

9 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Almost exactly my feeling on electric cars, add in the astronomical cost and it's a "NO" from me. 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Meant to say, had a look at Peter Vardy's dealership last night, most cars had very high mileage.

While I don't believe that mileage is as critical as it was in years gone by I'm not buying a 2 year old car with 45,000 miles. 

Some of the time such cars will be ex rental such as enterprise or even motability where there isn't a mileage restriction now. Most come from auctions. 

Spoke to the owner of the garage i use and hes suggested we wait till closer to the end of March as dealerships work on quarterly numbers and are more keen to sell at a reduced price.

Done a wee bit of research and that seems to stack up.

No point in wasting time today, will leave it for another month, I'll just continue to look around on the internet. 

Edited by faraway saint

Spoke to the owner of the garage i use and hes suggested we wait till closer to the end of March as dealerships work on quarterly numbers and are more keen to sell at a reduced price.
No point in wasting time today, will leave it for another month, I'll just continue to look around on the internet. 
With new reg out as well, pre registered cars are sometimes a bargain [emoji6]

On 2/10/2023 at 9:43 AM, faraway saint said:

Due to boredom, and pressure from Mrs Faraway, we're popping into Dundee today "just to look inside" some potential cars. 

Going with an open mind at this stage.

If anything takes my fancy then I'll bear in mind the comments here and do some further research. 

On 2/10/2023 at 9:21 AM, faraway saint said:

Meant to say, had a look at Peter Vardy's dealership last night, most cars had very high mileage.

While I don't believe that mileage is as critical as it was in years gone by I'm not buying a 2 year old car with 45,000 miles. 

45k miles is nothing in todays cars - especially in Diesels. But if it’s an ex rental , id worry more about How it’s been driven rather than the total miles.

8 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

45k miles is nothing in todays cars - especially in Diesels. But if it’s an ex rental , id worry more about How it’s been driven rather than the total miles.

As I said, high mileage isn't as big a deal as it used to be but they weren't diesel and, agsin, not wanting 45,000 for a 2 year old car.  

How its been driven isnt exsctly easy to tell. 😉

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

As I said, high mileage isn't as big a deal as it used to be but they weren't diesel and, agsin, not wanting 45,000 for a 2 year old car.  

How its been driven isnt exsctly easy to tell. 😉

Just look at the V5 . If it shows a hire company - you know it’s been ragged rotten !! 😂.  

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

No need, not going near Peter Vardy, Arnold Clark, for starters, then I'll go where I'm told. :P

Thing is most places that have cars under 3 yes old will most likely have been ex rental/courtesy/demonstrator cars. All depends what you are looking for and what manufacturers warranty is left on it.

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Just look at the V5 . If it shows a hire company - you know it’s been ragged rotten !! 😂.  

Our hyundai i800 was ex enterprise and whilst it was cheaper on the forecourt than the 2 others that were there no doubt the other 2 were in a bit better condition inside. Couple of scrapes on top of dash and a couple in headlining. Nothing too bad but at 3k cheaper a no brainer. We got it with 46k on clock now its just turned 100k and would have been more without lockdowns etc. 

Looked seriously at a Renault Captur, 21 reg.
7,700 miles on the clock, high spec, unfortunately only a 1 litre engine, a wee bit too light for what I'm after, struggle to take a steep incline.
Left it with them, Arnold Clark, they will get back to me with the same spec and a slightly bigger engine. 
Yeah the 90bhp isn't really that good.

Nice colour, suits you. [emoji6]