VAR.

1 hour ago, WeeBud said:

Out of interest Baz what were the stats pre VAR for positive/negative impacts on games through mistakes made be referees…..I’m not arguing for or against VAR but with nothing to measure it against your point loses strength.

Indeed.

Previously all you has was conspiracy theories and Chinese whispers.

VAR has been used for just over a year and a half and most people with common sense see that it's the interpretation by officials that's the problem which I'd hope will improves with time. 

It's only the "errors" that seem to be picked up, not the hundreds of correct calls. 

For me the time it takes seems inexplicable at times, and again, not ALL the time, I fail to see why it takes so long.

PS I watched the semi final of the Champions League last night, as I recall not one intervention from VAR all down to a superb refereeing performance. 

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Indeed.

VAR has been used for just over a year and a half and most people with common sense see that it's the interpretation by officials that's the problem which I'd hope will improves with time. 

It's only the "errors" that seem to be picked up, not the hundreds of correct calls. 

For me the time it takes seems inexplicable at times, and again, not ALL the time, I fail to see why it takes so long.

PS I watched the semi final of the Champions League last night, as I recall not one intervention from VAR all down to a superb refereeing performance. 

I really don’t get this argument. The officials aren’t changing anytime soon. We aren’t going to have more competent people using VAR. 

The point ‘VAR is fine, it’s the people’ doesn’t really make any sense to me because you’ll never have VAR without the people. If they aren’t competent enough to use it, then it won’t get better. 

Pretty much any official using VAR in Scotland has officiated football for many years. In what way are they going to get better at making calls? Just need to look at the wrong calls against us, absolute basic stuff they haven’t called correctly. 

I appreciate VAR has gotten more decisions right than wrong, but at what cost? 
- holds up the game 

- missing easy, match changing decisions 

- takes so much focus away from the actual football 

- impacts match experience for those that attend (celebrating goals for example) 

- doesn’t make the game any fairer in normal play decisions that can lead to goals (for example corners and free kicks). 

It honestly baffles me after this time that people are still standing by VAR. We’ve seen it, it’s a car crash. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Indeed.

Even the : hundreds of correct calls: are a matter of opinion. Many that VAR say are correct would be disputed by  many people. 

As far as I'm concerned, VAR is only a positive addition to those, like fartaway, who watch football on the the box, not in the stadium. It's almost an extension to the new fad of reality TV. It takes away from the match day experience. It was meant to reduce the number of wrong/controversial decisions but it's done the opposite. Even in the leagues where they have the cash to fund it properly it doesn't improve the game. It's time to ditch this and admit it is an expensive failure.

9 hours ago, stlucifer said:

As far as I'm concerned, VAR is only a positive addition to those, like fartaway, who watch football on the the box, not in the stadium. It's almost an extension to the new fad of reality TV. It takes away from the match day experience. It was meant to reduce the number of wrong/controversial decisions but it's done the opposite. Even in the leagues where they have the cash to fund it properly it doesn't improve the game. It's time to ditch this and admit it is an expensive failure.

Controversial I'll give you but the bit in bold is nonsense.....do you really reckon in a normal quarterly block there'd only be ten obvious errors. I'm not sure how I feel about VAR but I do feel the implementation could be better and wish we could hear the on/off field discussions a bit more like they do in rugby. At least then we'd know about the content and context of their decision making.

10 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Well your poor wife is one of them TV watching fans as she's obviously had enough of your dullard comments during the game. :lol:

Also, what @WeeBud says, utter nonsense. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

EPL clubs to vote on scrapping VAR from next season after Wolves made the request , would love to see it scrapped everywhere but don’t think UEFA and FIFA will allow it somehow.

Well done Wolves, a very sensible & positive move. Would be great if the vote gets enough support. Other leagues would follow pretty quickly I imagine. 

Sadly I don’t see it passing as clubs will likely be influenced by the league, UEFA & FIFA.