VAR.

Worth a read, especially the few who believe in ghosts and make up laughable views on VAR.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23948994.jonny-mcfarlane-conspiracy-nonsense-debases-scottish-football-culture/?fbclid=IwAR0nkfkR8oHqd4GpCL6zEqn5f9X4KsyJBBNHT34wNndbxMPd-cNHq0w71Wc

Edited by faraway saint

• 3 months later...

VAR is a shambles and should be got rid of, brings nothing to the game, instead of clearing up controversy it muddies the water even further . It breaks up the flow of the game and leaves fans and players alike confused and bewildered.

Yes , I know it’s humans that make the ultimate decisions but for me I’d rather discuss the performance of a useless, incompetent or biased ref in the pub after the game rather than said ref, how many more arseholes in a wee office somewhere, multiple camera angles , stupid offside lines & replays and even more baffling decisions .

Saturdays Motherwell game was a beauty ….. to disallow ‘Wells goal after the ball shaves off a jumping players arm which he Knew nothing about then refuse the same team a Penalty after Shinnie blatantly hits the ball with his elbow is beyond belief !  What f**king good did the cameras and slo-mos do there 

keep yer pitchside monitor, yer  ref doing his ‘it’s a TV programme ‘Charades crap & a couple of guys hiding in a wee office . Costs money we don’t have & delays the game unnecessarily.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

VAR has ruined the game with the offside by a baw hair decisions at times your sitting wondering if it worth celebrating a goal incase you look like a bam when its disallowed ( especially when you know Collums involved in our games) .Between VAR and the handball laws it’s just feckin up the game , go back to refs and linesmen feckin it up without electronic help.

10 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

VAR has ruined the game with the offside by a baw hair decisions at times your sitting wondering if it worth celebrating a goal incase you look like a bam when its disallowed ( especially when you know Collums involved in our games) .Between VAR and the handball laws it’s just feckin up the game , go back to refs and linesmen feckin it up without electronic help.

This

It might be sh!te decisions by the on-field @rseholes but at least it's cheaper sh!te without paying for the hidden sh!ts.

I still think there’s a version of VAR that can work and that version is a massively simplified one. 

First thing I’d do is bin the use of VAR for retrospective red cards. On field decision stands every time. For me that has ruined many a game.

For offside, the rule needs to be changed to clear daylight. This would assist with two things being 1) decisions could be made pretty much instantly (no more standing around waiting) and 2) it would mean us having less cameras than they have in England wouldn’t be so much of a hindrance to decision making.

Penalty for a foul - I’m torn on this one between ditching it completely and going with on field decision or changing the rule from clear and obvious error (which frankly is f**king stupid in the first place as it’s totally subjective) to clear and obvious foul which should be a lot more straightforward. By clear and obvious foul I mean if you can’t see it clearly on first look then move on. A CLEAR foul should be visible from any angle.

And finally handball. I still say the problem with the inconsistent decisions re handball are the fault of the incredibly f**king stupid rule rather than with VAR. The way the rule is at present it’s almost impossible for there not to be inconsistent, subjective decisions based on one person’s interpretation. So I’d say either come up with a far more categoric rule, or ditch it from VAR.

So I guess ultimately what I’m saying is that VAR can work if it’s used only for decisions that are a matter of fact, rather than a matter of opinion or interpretation.

VAR has been massively over engineered and it should be used in the same simplistic way as goal line technology. 

I'm sure this simplified version of VAR would probably be a fair bit cheaper as well. 

4 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

VAR is a shambles and should be got rid of, brings nothing to the game, instead of clearing up controversy it muddies the water even further . It breaks up the flow of the game and leaves fans and players alike confused and bewildered.

Yes , I know it’s humans that make the ultimate decisions but for me I’d rather discuss the performance of a useless, incompetent or biased ref in the pub after the game rather than said ref, how many more arseholes in a wee office somewhere, multiple camera angles , stupid offside lines & replays and even more baffling decisions .

Saturdays Motherwell game was a beauty ….. to disallow ‘Wells goal after the ball shaves off a jumping players arm which he Knew nothing about then refuse the same team a Penalty after Shinnie blatantly hits the ball with his elbow is beyond belief !  What f**king good did the cameras and slo-mos do there 

keep yer pitchside monitor, yer  ref doing his ‘it’s a TV programme ‘Charades crap & a couple of guys hiding in a wee office . Costs money we don’t have & delays the game unnecessarily.

3 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

This

It might be sh!te decisions by the on-field @rseholes but at least it's cheaper sh!te without paying for the hidden sh!ts.

So you're all still on the fence then?

2 hours ago, Slarti said:

So you're all still on the fence then?

I’ve had a look at the video...  Some of them are on one side of the fence, some on the other.

whilst… aye…. others are still on it.

i think VAR is shite - me, myself, I.

Edited by antrin

2 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

I’ve let the play go on , celebrated the goal , waiting for the on field check , then the 5 minute review and been called to the pitch side monitor and have decided it’s still sh*t.

There's always two ways to look at it I suppose.

I thoroughly enjoyed celebrating Olusanya's goal against Aberdeen twice! 

7 hours ago, antrin said:

Kettlewell’s faither is giving up on SPL cos of VAR.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68648948

I must agree.  :(

(StMirren link in the accompanying pic.  )

I have to say. My missus has almost turned her back on the game. A lifelong buddy, she's fed up with the nonsense that comes with a poor man's VAR and incompetent officials making ridiculous decisions. Long delays and slow motion replays making things look much worse than they were. VAR, if the idiots running our game decide it stays, must be rolled back to only get involved when a really obvious mistake is made. Not set up to micro manage every decision. In fact. Slow motion should not be used at all. If they can't conclusively see a problem in real time, it is NOT, by definition, a clear and obvious mistake

Edited by stlucifer

It seems that the supporters who are turning up in bigger numbers that many a year are quite comfortable with the "beautiful game" and there's an element that will find anything to whine about come what may. :rolleyes:

If it wasn't VAR it would be referees........................oh wait. :lol: