Heart of Midlothian v St Mirren SPFL PREMIERSHIP 23/12/23

shull

Our third place for the early part of the season probably flattered us a tad.

We are about to find our true level and that is going to involve a tussle with Kilmarnock, Dundee, Hibs and Aberdeen for the 4th to 6th positions.

However as seasoned Buddies fans, we are more used to scraps to avoid relegation, so why should we be carping about the current situation?

Our best hope is a 6th place finish as that will not involve us in an embarrassing early exit from a European competition next season - we are far from ready to compete at that level.

On 12/24/2023 at 6:51 PM, northstbuddie said:

Our third place for the early part of the season probably flattered us a tad.

We are about to find our true level and that is going to involve a tussle with Kilmarnock, Dundee, Hibs and Aberdeen for the 4th to 6th positions.

However as seasoned Buddies fans, we are more used to scraps to avoid relegation, so why should we be carping about the current situation?

Our best hope is a 6th place finish as that will not involve us in an embarrassing early exit from a European competition next season - we are far from ready to compete at that level.

An embarrassing early exit is fine by me and on a par with most Scottish clubs each season with few exceptions.

11 hours ago, Hunterian said:

An embarrassing early exit is fine by me and on a par with most Scottish clubs each season with few exceptions.

The problem is that the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs, struggled to adapt to the busy playing schedule and superior skill levels they came up against through their European experience.

Whereas clubs like ourselves, Kilmarnock and even newly promoted Dundee, gained an early advantage in preparing for the home competition.

Even when the Buddies were last in European competitions in the 1980s, there was less of a gulf than there is now - mainly because of Scottish clubs current obsession with an over-defensive and negative approach to the game.

Having said all that, I would still love to see us compete in Euarope again, but it seems that it is not worth the effort with the prevailing Scottish tactics in vogue.

35 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

The problem is that the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs, struggled to adapt to the busy playing schedule and superior skill levels they came up against through their European experience.

Whereas clubs like ourselves, Kilmarnock and even newly promoted Dundee, gained an early advantage in preparing for the home competition.

Even when the Buddies were last in European competitions in the 1980s, there was less of a gulf than there is now - mainly because of Scottish clubs current obsession with an over-defensive and negative approach to the game.

Having said all that, I would still love to see us compete in Euarope again, but it seems that it is not worth the effort with the prevailing Scottish tactics in vogue.

I agree with your assessment. Interesting though that the last time we were in Europe it was papering over cracks.

It wasn’t too much later that we were relegated in terms of seasons.

There was still a gulf and it was even before our brief foray that the Old Firm were winning the Leagues one after the other.

You could point at ‘86 as a close League but to me it was still an OF team winning.

Our tactics weren’t a problem when we were winning but true to many fans it’s soccermageddon when we start losing.

Is it beyond Robbo to use different tactics in Europe?

Edited by Hunterian

• 2 weeks later...