Smfc-On This Day.....

HSS

Wilson Humphries' sister taught me Latin at Camphill in the early 60's. Mrs.Kerr was her name and her husband was a minister in Kilbarchan. If Wilson had been half as scary as his big sister he would have been twice the player he was.

I knew Humphries was our Manager and didnae have much success.

There was a guy at Love Street, who stood near me on the terracing who certainly wisnae keen on Wilson.

I think the guy's name was Billy, although i cannae be sure.

Just noticed that on the same date 25th sep in 1976 in the victory at Arbroath , the 2 Arbroath used subs were iconic Saints employees 30 years apart !

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1976&GameID=1561

I knew Humphries was our Manager and didnae have much success.

There was a guy at Love Street, who stood near me on the terracing who certainly wisnae keen on Wilson.

I think the guy's name was Billy, although i cannae be sure.

Wisnae this Billy anyway , things never worked out for Humphries but some of the young players he brought into the side went on to be stars !

Just noticed that on the same date 25th sep in 1976 in the victory at Arbroath , the 2 Arbroath used subs were iconic Saints employees 30 years apart !

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1976&GameID=1561

What about the Red Lichties number 9 ?

What a trip that was.............

I travelled on a bus from the Bull Inn that left at about closing time on the Tuesday night. Just as the bus was getting ready to leave a guy turned up that may have been newly released from "Her Majesty's Pleasure" (that was the story on the bus anyway) and he didn't have a passport. If my memory serves me correctly we killed time at the port waiting to board the ferry while he went to the Post Office to get a new temporary one.

Crossed the Channel and stayed in France until about 4.30 before heading off to Belgium and with about 30 miles to go to Mechelen the bus stopped and was boarded by Police with guns and big dugs ( we were the first British club to play in Belgium after Heysel) for the remainder of the journey. We got bussed right in to the stadium where and got shepherded into a metal stand behind the goals before being entertained by a local marching band who, when they got to our end, started playing "Oh When the Saints" and the party started.

A creditable 0-0 draw before seeing our hopes dashed by defeat at Love St to the eventual winners of the Cup Winners Cup

I didn't get a programme as such for this game.

It was like a newspaper i remember.

It was 90 mins of singing and chanting and the locals apaulded us after the game shouting bravo.

Then after the game trawling the clubs and pubs in Liege even ended up in a gay bar but that was Santaponsa and Skoda faultwhistling.gif

What a trip that was.............

I travelled on a bus from the Bull Inn that left at about closing time on the Tuesday night. Just as the bus was getting ready to leave a guy turned up that may have been newly released from "Her Majesty's Pleasure" (that was the story on the bus anyway) and he didn't have a passport. If my memory serves me correctly we killed time at the port waiting to board the ferry while he went to the Post Office to get a new temporary one.

Crossed the Channel and stayed in France until about 4.30 before heading off to Belgium and with about 30 miles to go to Mechelen the bus stopped and was boarded by Police with guns and big dugs ( we were the first British club to play in Belgium after Heysel) for the remainder of the journey. We got bussed right in to the stadium where and got shepherded into a metal stand behind the goals before being entertained by a local marching band who, when they got to our end, started playing "Oh When the Saints" and the party started.

A creditable 0-0 draw before seeing our hopes dashed by defeat at Love St to the eventual winners of the Cup Winners Cup

You're right that was a great trip. I feel very privileged to have seen Saints away from home in Europe, even moreso because of the praise we got for our behaviour after the above highlighted fact. And it was the Belgian Government not just their football association that said we were a credit to club & country.

Met some great guys on that trip and I'm still friendly with them, however my abiding memory is Jersey Saint's eternal bellowing of his catch phrase "Shoe's yer baws!!!". Ah, great days. lol.gif

1.955 League Cup Final....N...Hampden Park....SMFC 1 Aberdeen 2.

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1955&GameID=481

I'm quite sure we'll win this trophy sooner rather than later!!!

We'll soon be fed up winning it. It was really sporting of us to let another team win the current campaign. You know, share the honours round a wee bit.

1985...UEFA Cup R2 L1...A Soderstadion....Hammarby 3 SMFC 3.

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1985&GameID=2104

Saints hat trick hero Brian Gallagher along with team mate Jim Rooney....

http://www.sportsworldcards.com/ekmps/shops/sportsworld/images/st-mirren-jim-rooney-brian-gallagher-541a-b-panini-football-86-rare-trading-sticker-35957-p.jpg

I promise that the Swedish team will not be mentioned again.

I don't know what happened to the post I made yesterday,it's disappeared!!!So for yesterday....

1992....Div 1....H....SMFC 1 Meadowbank Thistle 1.

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1992&GameID=2501

You're a troublemaker, all posts will disappear overnight till your a distant memory. ;)