Long Drive For New Bike

Going to pick up a new bike cloud9.gif on Saturday and drive it home to Inverness from............

Maidstone in Kent shock1.gif Only 604 miles.......A Black and White bike of course..

attachicon.gifvstrom gear.jpgattachicon.gifvstrom left.jpgattachicon.gifvstrom rear.jpg

WOW ! That's a trip and a half how are you getting there you also have to do an overnight somewhere when driving back up the road. Still the excitement of riding new wheels should make the journey a bit easier ? Must be a special bike to do that journey what kind is it ? For the past few years I have fancied a bike for the summer months but have a feeling I would kill myself on a power machine with two wheels.

WOW ! That's a trip and a half how are you getting there you also have to do an overnight somewhere when driving back up the road. Still the excitement of riding new wheels should make the journey a bit easier ? Must be a special bike to do that journey what kind is it ? For the past few years I have fancied a bike for the summer months but have a feeling I would kill myself on a power machine with two wheels.

Hi Ian

I'm going down on the early bird on Saturday morning and the seller is picking me up at Gatwick to take me to the bike then off I pop to Sneckie....

The bike is a 650 Suzuki V-Strom "Adventure Bike" ,a well known distance machine. My mate has one and been all over Europe on it. He was about to ship his to Vancouver and do a three month tour of North America with his wife on pillion but he had a job offer that was to good to turn down, Methil would you believe......

These bikes are comfy but my plan is to do 90 minutes or so then take a wee stretch break to keep from stiffening up. I hope to be home by around 02.00 on Sunday

but that is not a given...Weather, traffic etc. will come into it, not to mention my old body. Mind you I am fit as I have ever been, Honest !!!! and I have not been this weight since1991 but I do admit to a combination of excitement and a wee bit of trepidation nervousness whistling.gif

The reason I am buying this one is my wife will not go near the Bike in my avatar, a ZRX1200S....A bit too uncomfy...and I agree. Even less chance of her going on my "Sunday Bike" ,a ZXR 750....perched like a gnome on the back with your knees up roon yer lugs.....no way Jose'

She has promised to do some trips on this one, already has all the gear so New bike and we are off......

By the way...55-60 mpg is fairly common on these bikes on a run. See if I can hijack a Player or two on the way up lol.giflol.gif

For the past few years I have fancied a bike for the summer months but have a feeling I would kill myself on a power machine with two wheels.

I have been in a few countries over the last few years where the standard mode of transport is a wee bike or moped (Cambodia, Viet Nam). So 2 years ago I bought a wee Honda 125 just to cruise about (slowly) on the highways and byways of sunny Ayrshire in good weather. At my age I am not interested in speed but the feeling of freedom is great even at 40mph. And hopefully it means if I go to Asia again or similar places I will have the confidence to rent a wee bike. Like you LS I reckon I couldnt handle a big bike and am quite happy on my wee Honda.

Please drive it sensibly.

Over the years I have lost a number of friends/associates/colleagues and random's to motorcycle accidents and I arrived at the conclusion some years ago that it is indeed a stupid way to travel, a stupid way to travel indeed.

I also remember horses as an acceptable form of transport and not just a rich fandan's form of transport. Horse riding is less dangerous than motorcycling though even though I did have a friend who was reprimanded for having his horse "rampage furiously in New Street Paisley". Stay safe my forum friend and please do not propel yourself through my horseless carriage window. Stay safe indeed my reckless forum friend, stay safe indeed.

post-6073-0-31217600-1374822097_thumb.jp

Please drive it sensibly.

Over the years I have lost a number of friends/associates/colleagues and random's to motorcycle accidents and I arrived at the conclusion some years ago that it is indeed a stupid way to travel, a stupid way to travel indeed.

I also remember horses as an acceptable form of transport and not just a rich fandan's form of transport. Horse riding is less dangerous than motorcycling though even though I did have a friend who was reprimanded for having his horse "rampage furiously in New Street Paisley". Stay safe my forum friend and please do not propel yourself through my horseless carriage window. Stay safe indeed my reckless forum friend, stay safe indeed.

Thank you for your concern Tom, I will take every precaution to keep myself safe on the Journey home. Indeed, I spent all of last week on a course in Aberdeen where Risk Management was a large part of the Syllabus. I will be making frequent rest stops and keep up my hydration levels, also taking on the correct foods for my Gluten free needs,thus ensuring my body stays finely tuned on the trip. Apparel for the trip is cleaned and checked, I will be purchasing a new "High Visibility" waterproof overvest to supplement my safety clothing and to assist other road users in making me more prominent in their field of vision. I will of course observe the rules of the Highway at all times paying particular attention to the National Speed Limit. I am hoping for good weather but I am prepared should precipitation levels be of a high level on the journey. Please observe the photographic image provided and from this take comfort that the safety equipment I will be wearing is of an impeccable standard. I look forward to reporting the Journey on the Forum.

In the words of Sgt. Phil Esterhaus from the Most Excellent television show "Hill Street Blues" .........

"Let's be Careful Out There"

The trip was good fun if a little tiring.snore.gif Flight from Inverness at 7 o'clock.Got picked up at Gatwick and back to the sellers house to complete the paperwork and have a wee non alcoholic refreshment before I left as it was roasting hot. M25 is an arse of a road but once off at J16 and on the Oxford/Birmingham stretch it was good progress all the way. I took three food stops and stopped for shorter breaks in between those for fuel to break up the journey. Left Maidstone at 11.30 am and back home at 00.30 ....13 hours total journey time for 610 miles.

Steady 70mph on the motorway made me about the slowest vehicle on the road....who cares ??? Fuel figures were high fifties to the gallon, pleased with that.

Hit rain twice, just north of Carlsisle for 20mins, torrential doesn't come close, and really heavy between Hamilton and Stirling. Not bad for the distance covered.

If I had went down the night before and left at say 8'oclock in the morning I reckon it would have been much easier to do it in a single day. As I guessed, the last 50 miles or so were the most tiring, although that happens every time I go up the A9.

Always good to be home, love the bike,wub.png looking forward to some holiday type trips on it. I won't be at Caley on Saturday, going Offshore on Thursday but hope to see some of you at the County Game.

COYS.