Keep Calm And Play Games!

Guest somner9

I don't have a problem with Thompson and Reilly being our strike force. The problem is Danny is playing Thompson up front by himself, and he can not be expected to be able to lead the line and find goals himself. It just does not work. If we do not get another striker in by Saturday, then Lennon has to pair Reilly up front with Thompson. It was clear all pre-season Thompson can not play up front by himself, it was clear in Inverness that he can not play up front himself (especially when we when are two nil down!)

And it's ALSO clear that Thommo doesn't like playing upfront by himself! And I'm sure he's let DL know this. It needs to change. I expect it to change.

Cue Thomas Reilly starting up front on his own against Killie, while Steven Thompson gets put on the bench.....!!

It's the kind of crazy thing that wouldn't surprise me you know!

Keep Calm And Play Games..!

never seen a game won by endless predictions of doom based on ONE league game away from home. However i've seen them lost before when the crowd take their seats expecting the worse and making the team know it.

Which manager has done better business? well as far as key players out we were fortunate that only Sammy went. ICT have lost Tudor, Shinnie and Reguero, and replaced with a several english non league bods. Our clearout was confined to fringe sqaud players who were tying up a wage. we've picked up grainger, harkins and the two keepers, added Newton on loan, and wait poised to see a striker and perhaps one other join the ranks.

If we get Campbell from Newcastle it could be on deadline day whilst the player and his club consider all options. If it isn't him it will be likely another loanee or out of contract player.

should we win by two clear goals on saturday, will we still be a precarious bunch of relegation fodder, or fiteen points and counting off the bottom of the league..?

Butcher may well come to be seen to have found some hidden gems from non league teams..? Danny may well be recognised for blooding the talent nurtured within our under 20's..? I know which i prefer.

Me too,Butcher is quality punk.gif

So much doom and gloom on here. Our keepers are inexperienced, our defence is leaky, we have too many midfielders, yet nothing down the left. We only have Thommo up front who is in any way proven at this level. Danny's tactics and signing record are both being questioned. We're struggling to bring in a young striker despite our 'links' with NUFC.

On the plus side, our playing surface is lovely.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, we've got 99 problems but the pitch ain't one.

Keep Calm And Play Games..!

never seen a game won by endless predictions of doom based on ONE league game away from home. However i've seen them lost before when the crowd take their seats expecting the worse and making the team know it.

Which manager has done better business? well as far as key players out we were fortunate that only Sammy went. ICT have lost Tudor, Shinnie and Reguero, and replaced with a several english non league bods. Our clearout was confined to fringe sqaud players who were tying up a wage. we've picked up grainger, harkins and the two keepers, added Newton on loan, and wait poised to see a striker and perhaps one other join the ranks.

If we get Campbell from Newcastle it could be on deadline day whilst the player and his club consider all options. If it isn't him it will be likely another loanee or out of contract player.

should we win by two clear goals on saturday, will we still be a precarious bunch of relegation fodder, or fiteen points and counting off the bottom of the league..?

Butcher may well come to be seen to have found some hidden gems from non league teams..? Danny may well be recognised for blooding the talent nurtured within our under 20's..? I know which i prefer.

Well clearly neither of us are going to change our opinion but mine remains that the squad is currently unready and even when the inevitable additions arrive there is no guarantee we'll be any stronger than last season when we finished 11th and that giving other teams 2 or 3 games of a start is only gonna lead to another season of catch-up football in the league.

I know there is a lot of worrying going on and i would be a liar if i said that i wasnt a bit concerned but im sure that we will be ok again at the end of the season but ill explain my thinking to see if anyone shares the same opinion.

Danny lennon in my opinion is a good manager and he has maintained us as an established spl side. And delivered one of my greatest memories in my life so far. He was the man to do the job and he proved his worth. If im honest i think its time in the interests of both parties as the recent cup win will be fresh on his c.v and for us a more experienced gaffer with good transfer contacts would build on the team lennon has matured.

The Board in my opinion have secured the club and i do not wish to go through another dark day like having to sell a top asset as i miss THE stadium like hell as im sure everyone here is still dreaming of the games we seen there.

I am a little unsettled at the lack of input into the team on a permanent basis as the players we need are out there players who will become assets in both senses. Im a little tired with not entering a new season looking forward and rubbing my hands at the thought of watching a prepared squad hit the ground running and sweating as others are more prepared and have deeper squads. Its not fair on us, the players or the club. I do appreciate the way the look to safeguard the club for the future.

My only question is when is the right time to give a little bit more and see what we get back.

Sorry for the long drawn out post guys and i hope that this makes sense.

Guest somner9

Settled down nicely on Saturday, loads of opportunities created, expect us to push on and take the points against County and Thistle and progress to the next round of our cup.

Keep Calm and Play Games......

Or

Pampers are for Knicker-wetting Pishers.....

So much doom and gloom on here. Our keepers are inexperienced, our defence is leaky, we have too many midfielders, yet nothing down the left. We only have Thommo up front who is in any way proven at this level. Danny's tactics and signing record are both being questioned. We're struggling to bring in a young striker despite our 'links' with NUFC.

On the plus side, our playing surface is lovely.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, we've got 99 problems but the pitch ain't one.

You may have just answered the question on the other thread for what the team anthem should be.

..... If you're having squad problems I feel bad for you son.....

Edited by Jumbo Whiffy

Guest somner9

the target i looked at for our first four games was 6+ points, that was even factoring in the celtic game being shunted. now with one fixture left in august we can muster a max of 4. Still not a time for knickerwetting because look what County just did to us after losing three on the bounce.

That said by the time the hearts game ends on oct 5th i would expect them to pick up nine points as a minimum to move forward. if not then I might be in the market for a BOGOF deal on dry-nites?

Edited by somner9

the target i looked at for our first four games was 6+ points, that was even factoring in the celtic game being shunted. now with one fixture left in august we can muster a max of 4. Still not a time for knickerwetting because look what County just did to us after losing three on the bounce.

That said by the time the hearts game ends on oct 5th i would expect them to pick up nine points as a minimum to move forward. if not then I might be in the market for a BOGOF deal on dry-nites?

It's not really about this seasons start, think about it for a moment, would Danny still be in a job if he didn't win the cup last season? I actually think it was Joncalves that won us the cup! This has been going on for a while now, poor league performances, fighting relagation every season, teams with similar budgets out performing us. It ain't the players, I think last years squad was one of the best I,v seen in 20 years, so it must be the management.

• 3 weeks later...

If losing the game is "the end of it"... why would you "much rather be in ICT's current position"..? whistling.gif

We will sign a new forward be it a loanee or an out of contract player this month. as regards RB well we've got plenty of options to cover that amongst the current squad, as we have forwards. They are SMFC players, they are there to play and fill in where needed.

I would much rather be in our position at the end of the season than that of ICT's

Sorry but had to have a chuckle at Parkin as reliable back up support, he couldn't score with a £50 note tied to his tadger when we had him.

Obviously there's still plenty of time to go but I reckon this is looking more and more like the stupidest post ever made on B&WArmy - and that's saying something! 1eye.gif

No doubt I'll have another 30-odd chances to bump this thread!

Obviously there's still plenty of time to go but I reckon this is looking more and more like the stupidest post ever made on B&WArmy - and that's saying something! 1eye.gif

No doubt I'll have another 30-odd chances to bump this thread!

Yep. I'm sure you will. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.whistling.gif

Yep. I'm sure you will. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.whistling.gif

Erm, I think you'll find some of us were critical of the manager's summer dealing before the season started - somner9 in contrast started a thread elsewhere labelling Butcher's somner (sic) signings as "cheap cuts" but who looks most likely to have the last laugh?

Going back however us knickerwetters were assured that it was all right as we till the end of August before the transfer window closed. So what did we get - one player Newton who is up to speed and two youngsters signed in the final week who may or may not come good but at present we are the poorest team in the league, only saved from bottom spot by Hearts point deduction and already look doomed to another season of catch-up football.

Erm, I think you'll find some of us were critical of the manager's summer dealing before the season started - somner9 in contrast started a thread elsewhere labelling Butcher's somner (sic) signings as "cheap cuts" but who looks most likely to have the last laugh?

Going back however us knickerwetters were assured that it was all right as we till the end of August before the transfer window closed. So what did we get - one player Newton who is up to speed and two youngsters signed in the final week who may or may not come good but at present we are the poorest team in the league, only saved from bottom spot by Hearts point deduction and already look doomed to another season of catch-up football.

Youi may well have been critical of the manager's signings but, since they weren't completed, I don't see how you could predict the completion of said. unless you helped pick the rest. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

SACK BUD THE BAKER!!!!!!!whistling.giflol.gif

Youi may well have been critical of the manager's signings but, since they weren't completed, I don't see how you could predict the completion of said. unless you helped pick the rest. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

SACK BUD THE BAKER!!!!!!!whistling.giflol.gif

1. So we agree the accusation of criticism being in hindsight was wrong. tongue.png
  2. Given that most other teams (& ICT in particular) had the bulk of their signings in place long before us and were ready for SPL football at the beginning of August I don't see how you could fail to predict a poor start for Saints. cool.png
  3. If my current product were as poor as Danny Lennon's then yes I would be worrying about my job. bye1.gif
Edited by Bud the Baker

1. So we agree the accusation of criticism being in hindsight was wrong. tongue.png
  2. Given that most other teams (& ICT in particular) had the bulk of their signings in place long before us and were ready for SPL football at the beginning of August I don't see how you could fail to predict a poor start for Saints. cool.png
  3. If my current product were as poor as Danny Lennon's then yes I would be worrying about my job. bye1.gif

Connor Newton and Goncalves went stright into the side. The former had a bad 45 minutes and the other went straight to hero status from the off so late doesn't neccessarilly mean unready.

Look. I do agree that things haven't worked out and I personally would have preferred to see the squad assembled much earlier, but I couldn't have predicted how badly the incomers have performed, just as I couldn't have envisaged Esmael and Connor setting the heather on fire.

Connor Newton and Goncalves went stright into the side. The former had a bad 45 minutes and the other went straight to hero status from the off so late doesn't neccessarilly mean unready.

Look. I do agree that things haven't worked out and I personally would have preferred to see the squad assembled much earlier, but I couldn't have predicted how badly the incomers have performed, just as I couldn't have envisaged Esmael and Connor setting the heather on fire.

I would say more often than not it does - Newton signed on January 1st but had been training with the club prior to that, he was an unused substitute against Killie in the Ne'erday game and had a further two and a bit weeks before he made his debut (out of position whistling.gif) against County. He really had well over a month with the club before he was used properly against Celtic.

Goncalvescloud9.gif - well he's the exception that proves the rule!

I would say more often than not it does - Newton signed on January 1st but had been training with the club prior to that, he was an unused substitute against Killie in the Ne'erday game and had a further two and a bit weeks before he made his debut (out of position whistling.gif) against County. He really had well over a month with the club before he was used properly against Celtic.

Goncalvescloud9.gif - well he's the exception that proves the rule.......... when it suits.

Sorted that for you.

The fact of the matter is that EVERY new signing is a gamble, whether brought in earlier or later. It's early days and the underfire, underachievers might yet need a pedestal from us.