The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On a different subject can I just say well done to Jack McConnell on his calls for a break in campaigning during the Commonwealth Games so that athletes can be put in centre focus without politicians trying to use their successes as part of their propaganda. There has been little more absurd in recent years than seeing the Nationalists trying desperately to put their stamp on Chris Hoy's and Andy Murray's successes and I'm sure athletes haven't spent all those years in training for a major event like this, only to find that all journalists want to know is how they are going to vote in the referendum.

Oh dear....

3485322451_f542c0d9ff_o.jpg

3485322435_2f1d18ffcd_b.jpg

McConnells wife is on the Commonwealth Games committee. McConnell is now a peer and doesn't stand for election for any party. Anyway don't you agree with the sentiment of his comments yesterday? Or is it only Irish politics that's to be kept out of sport?

Why isn't his wife in the photos above rather than 'Lord' McConnell?

PS. You've lost me on the Irish politics comment but quite frankly that's not surprising as I have no idea what relevance that is nor do I know what you are even referring to.

I'll refrain from getting dragged into your argumentative nonsense thanks now that I've made my point on the complete contradiction from McConnell but you will continue to argue anything and everything so youcan enjoy doing that with someone else. thumbup2.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/winterolympics2002/hi/english/curling/newsid_1841000/1841047.stm

Edited by Maboza

Why isn't his wife in the photos above rather than 'Lord' McConnell?

PS. You've lost me on the Irish politics comment but quite frankly that's not surprising as I have no idea what relevance that is nor do I know what you are even referring to.

I'll refrain from getting dragged into your argumentative nonsense thanks now that I've made my point on the complete contradiction from McConnell but you will continue to argue anything and everything so youcan enjoy doing that with someone else. thumbup2.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/winterolympics2002/hi/english/curling/newsid_1841000/1841047.stm

It may or may not be a complete contradiction by Jack McConnell, but the point I'm making is that he isn't the only one guilty of hypocrisy. On this forum we regularly see calls for religion and politics to be kept out of the sporting arena. It's usually a statement made prior to playing Celtic or Rangers but it was also made by many who rightly condemned the St Mirren supporter who was arrested at a home match for shouting something political and silly at Beram Kayal.

However here we have nationalists who are quite happy to have the athletes at the Commonwealth Games used as political footballs whilst both sides of the referendum debate try to hijack the event for their own political gain.

I'm being completely consistent. The referendum campaigns will have gone on for well over 18 months by the time the Games come around. Having an 11 day break in campaigning six weeks before the referendum so that athletes can enjoy their moment of glory without the musty smell of arsehole politicians hanging over them isn't too much to ask.

So Jack McConnell wants a truce.

Is this possibly because the Commonwealth Games, followed by the Ryder Cup, will display the planning, dedication and execution that that the people of Scotland are more than capable of achieving in many other areas and will in turn raise national pride?

It's funny that somebody from the Better Together camp might suggest such a thing whistling.gif

The Games haven't happened yet. It could yet be a massive disaster. Either way though the focus during those 11 days should be on the athletes themselves and their achievements should not be overshadowed by some political tosser with a flag and an agenda.

It seems to me that there is alot of emphasis on how piss poor Alex Salmond and SNP are and how wonderful historical politicians are, when I vote its not for Alex Salmond or SNP or for the historical past but for what I believe is best for my country and future generations.

It seems to me that there is alot of emphasis on how piss poor Alex Salmond and SNP are and how wonderful historical politicians are, when I vote its not for Alex Salmond or SNP or for the historical past but for what I believe is best for my country and future generations.

Same here. I believe that Scotland are best served by continuing to be part of the most successful political union of all time. I certainly think that this is preferable to the uncertain dream world vision in the SNP white paper.

It is interesting that more than 60 nations that were former colonies of Britain will be competing in the Commonwealth Games. Is there any indication that any of these nations has ever indicated that that it wants to return to British rule? Perhaps if the media were to pose that question some of the nonsense about Scotland being unable to go it on its own might be exposed.

It is interesting that more than 60 nations that were former colonies of Britain will be competing in the Commonwealth Games. Is there any indication that any of these nations has ever indicated that that it wants to return to British rule? Perhaps if the media were to pose that question some of the nonsense about Scotland being unable to go it on its own might be exposed.

It would be more interesting if Scotland was ever a colony OR if any of the the 60+ had ever been sharing the same island as Scotland and England OR if any of the 60+ had ever been partners in developing, exploiting and ruling that Commonwealth.

However, I think that due to not fulfilling ANY of the three IFs it's a very poor analogy and less than interesting. Sorry. :(

It would be more interesting if Scotland was ever a colony OR if any of the the 60+ had ever been sharing the same island as Scotland and England OR if any of the 60+ had ever been partners in developing, exploiting and ruling that Commonwealth.

However, I think that due to not fulfilling ANY of the three IFs it's a very poor analogy and less than interesting. Sorry. sad.png

It certainly feels as if Scotland is a colony as the only interest that the UK government takes in Scotland is when it wants something from it! That may not interest you.

It certainly feels as if Scotland is a colony as the only interest that the UK government takes in Scotland is when it wants something from it! That may not interest you.

You're right, it doesn't interest me but it helps me understand your problem.

All persecution complexes and Nationalist/separatist feelings reside in the minds of people who feel hard done by. The worldwide credit crunch has left people wondering why life is not as easy as they might like or why it's perhaps harder than it used to be... and who to blame for that. Every part of the UK feels that London treats it badly.

I read a day or so ago, that the north of Scotland feels that the Scottish govt is wanting to flog off assets up there and how they feel the money will be wasted on the central belt.

Some people in Orkney and Shetland feel as though all the mineral wealth that surrounds them should be all theirs and not be shared by anyone, anywhere, on the mainland.

As a Scot I have never felt colonised. Indeed, I made it my life's mission to govern the lesser peoples of the earth: London has been a good place to start. I do my best.

But none of the above likely interests you...

What a load of codswollop. I don't have your imagined problem. I simply believe that Scotland would be better governed by people who have its interests at heart.Most people who want independence for Scotland had these feelings long before the credit crunch. You are right that every part of the UK feels that London treats it badly. Are they really all wrong?

As for your mission to govern the lesser peoples of the Earth, this is chauvinism at its worst. I don't believe that the English are worth less than Scots; only different.

Nationalist/separatist feelings reside in the minds of people who feel hard done by. The worldwide credit crunch has left people wondering why life is not as easy as they might like or why it's perhaps harder than it used to be... and who to blame for that. Every part of the UK feels that London treats it badly.

I'm sorry but lol.gif

For the record, the independence movement preceded the credit crunch.

On the positive side, your post is grammatically perfect and the spelling is great.

A classic example of style over substance though.

What a load of codswollop. I don't have your imagined problem. I simply believe that Scotland would be better governed by people who have its interests at heart.Most people who want independence for Scotland had these feelings long before the credit crunch. You are right that every part of the UK feels that London treats it badly. Are they really all wrong?

As for your mission to govern the lesser peoples of the Earth, this is chauvinism at its worst. I don't believe that the English are worth less than Scots; only different.

In your first post you certainly FELT and in the above you now simply BELIEVE. So...still a very touchy-freely response to economic realities.

Worryingly, you BELIEVE the English are different.

That would be racist...

I was sarcastically, but unknowingly, playing to your strength. As a human, not only as a Scot, I have never felt colonised nor have I ever encountered the possibility of colonising. We're aw Jock Tamson's barns.

And, of course, I stated that London sucks the best out of every part of the UK and of course they are all aggrieved about that because , of course, they're not bloody wrong - I was pointing out it's not just poor Jocks who feel that, as I have done before. It's the power of the city state, it's capitalism, it's big populations versus small populations.

Awarding yourselves yet another layer of government, having to pay for the split, having to finance all of the dreams will come at a cost. And I'm not convinced it will change a thing for Scotland.

London is not going away quickly. It's distorting mass will still be there. All regions will still be operating under its pull. It would perhaps be better for Britain, as a whole, to deal with this

Did you know that the second biggest French city is London? Even a long-established BIG country is losing its best, most talented and ambitious young people to London. The French govt can do nowt about it.

Similarly, there's 0.75 million Scots south of the border. That drain will not end just cos some people vote for it.

There IS a problem. As a Scot, I find it unbelievable that Scots would prefer to turn their backs on fixing that. That problem won't go away.

I'm sorry but :lol

For the record, the independence movement preceded the credit crunch.

Walloper.

Your comment falls under the heading of "Stating the bleeding obvious".

Or "ignore the argument"....

Nationalism rises and falls with economic uncertainties. The pattern has been seen on countless occasions.

This is not an Independence movement.

It's hardly even Nationalist when it's keeping the £, the Queen, etc etc....

If it jettisoned such burdensome trivia I'd be more empathetic.

It's a Girning movement, based on feelings and beliefs, lacking substance. :)

How much will it cost for the dream of not buying replacement nuclear missiles? To the nearest Billion will do. :hammer

People throughout the UK agree with that dream.

There will still be defence costs, there will still be some costs to being part of NATO... which is also into nuclear missiles.

Frankly, I haven't a clue about the costs of dreams. My concern is more with who foots the bills. And whether those bills would go down or up.

Sorry.

I shouldn't have come back in here. It's not for me.

It's for Scots with voting rights.

No-one ever said that, everyone's welcome to contribute, this is an inclusive thread - you just don't get to vote!

:)

There was an interesting article from a regional English newspaper posted by YesScotland which unfortunately I haven't been able to track down. Essentially it said that a Yes vote could be just what rUK needs to wake itself up and deal with the problem of London. I'll keep looking and try to find it and post it.

The other article I found interesting was this one :

http://m.scotsman.com/news/ib-hansen-nordic-alliance-sets-example-to-scots-voters-1-3261710

Independence, not separation - sums it up nicely for me.

TBF , there are many countries that haven't faired so well , once the Imperial Army left. Often times , there is much political unrest . India was a classic example of this as , up to a million people were killed in the population transfer. .

None of the countries can turn back the clock and l'm sure they wouldn't want to go back the way . Are they better off now without the British Empire? That would be a difficult one for anyone to answer.

Guest TPAFKATS

So let me get this straight....in one post you want to claim that poverty in Scotland goes beyond those families that qualify for benefits - and in the next you claim it's nonsense to link tribes in Afghanistan aligning itself with the Taliban and sending their 10 year old daughters out wearing suicide bombs with poverty. Really? And then you want us to believe that Scots aren't too stupid :rolleyes:

I wasn't sure that there could be many people out there as ignorant as the Rangers fan in the England strip in that video that was linked earlier but you're doing a fine job challenging him....

I believe you are both Scottish and stupid. You must be to think that the Taliban and suicide bombs are simply caused by poverty. Don't you have anything relevant to add to the debate?

Guest TPAFKATS

McConnells wife is on the Commonwealth Games committee. McConnell is now a peer and doesn't stand for election for any party. Anyway don't you agree with the sentiment of his comments yesterday? Or is it only Irish politics that's to be kept out of sport?

The council is Labour and the government is snp. Hasn't been a problem so far, but nice of wee Jack to make one up. Strange that this wasn't raised during the Olympics. Suppose it was union flags being waved then, so that's ok...