The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rick I'm sure we all know how this will pan out.

Darling will attack You Cant Have The Pound - You Can't Get In To Europe the usual.

It will all come down to the performance of Salmond which I am confident with. Here is a political man who broke the forever labour stronghold in Scotland which was incredible and is vastly over looked.

We won't get the fine detail tonight which Darling will press. No Government in waiting gives you the fine detail.

But there should be enough from the YES side to bring the polls closer together.

If the polls don't become closer in the next week then I would say the NO vote will win.

He'll certainly say You Can't Have The Pound and I think rightly. There are massive problems with that. I don't think he'll say You Can't Get Into Europe because hardly anyone has said that. What plenty have said is that Scotland will not simply gain entry on a nod and a wink. I think you're right about Salmond not giving the detail away but that's because he can't. He hasn't figured it out yet.' I'm Alex, trust me.' No politician gets away with that.

Guest TPAFKATS

The media have already started defending darling, basically if he doesn't f**k up or fall over then he's done alright.

Salmond can indeed come across as smug, hopefully he will wipe the floor with house flipper darling without appearing over confident.

I'm going to watch and see how often darling quotes hannah montana and try not to have a fit brought on by his rapid lie induced blinking.

He'll certainly say You Can't Have The Pound and I think rightly. There are massive problems with that. I don't think he'll say You Can't Get Into Europe because hardly anyone has said that. What plenty have said is that Scotland will not simply gain entry on a nod and a wink. I think you're right about Salmond not giving the detail away but that's because he can't. He hasn't figured it out yet.' I'm Alex, trust me.' No politician gets away with that.

Salmond back ground is economics in oil

Darling before becoming a MP in Westminster was an Edinburgh councillor who went on to become chancellor of the United Kingdom and got the nation into the worst debt on his watch in history so would think Salmond can handle him without too much trouble. We will see tonight.

Darling before becoming a MP in Westminster was an Edinburgh councillor who went on to become chancellor of the United Kingdom and got the nation into the worst debt on his watch in history so would think Salmond can handle him without too much trouble. We will see tonight.

Darling's input to that was minuscule. The Americans and Gordon Brown did that virtually on their own. Alex Salmond handled it with aplomb as StuDick reminds you now and again. Are you sure he was in economics?

Darling's input to that was minuscule. The Americans and Gordon Brown did that virtually on their own. Alex Salmond handled it with aplomb as StuDick reminds you now and again. Are you sure he was in economics?

He was Rick.

Regarding Darling no excuse passing the buck which stopped with Mr Darling , rules were made to be broken. William Hill must have been a gasped what was going on and should have been called upon to tell the bankers what kind of odds their reckless gambling would be. At the end of the day Rick Salmond can attack darling on this because this debt will effect all in Scotland. There should have been a better person picked for fighting the Better together cause.

Stand by my word in that if the polls do not close by next week then the No will win the election. However if the polls come close the YES vote will win no doubt about that. Tonight's the night

I know, and I agree that for the most part they are meaningless soundbytes. I originally posted in response to TopCat, not Stuart, when he asked if any major company has come out in support of independence. It was then Stuart who sparked up the argument with me, not the other way round. I proved him wrong again and hopefully that will be the end of it rolleyes.gif .

And neither of the guys you quoted at BA or RBS are coming out in support of Independence. And as I've pointed out since your RBS Director made his comment RBS Group made an official announcement on the latest results statement warning of a material adverse effect on the groups business, financial condition, results of operations and profits. If that's what your "supporters" are saying about independence you really are f**ked!

Don't bite you will see a lot of business who operate in the UK also operate in the Irish Republic.

Great to See Stuart Dickson already accepting defeat in tonight's debate which will be a game changer for the YES vote. After all here is Mr Dickson posting on every one of the pages of this debate yet he does not want to watch the most important debate of the year live on TV. absolutely hilarious

I thought the debate was irrelevant. After all the referendum isn't about Alex Salmond or Alastair Darling. Isn't that what you natsi's have been quick to claim all along?

It will need to be a big game changer. Darling will be well prepared and he always speaks clearly, calmly and well. Salmond is smarmy at times. He can't help it and even some of his acolytes admit it when they're allowed to talk which of course is taboo just now. But even if Salmond is shite tonight the faithful will gather round to praise him. It will be interesting.

It won't be interesting. We're unlikely to hear anything we haven't already heard. Alastair Darling will be able to speak with an air of authority given that he has actually been in the post of Chancellor of the Exchequer, whilst Salmond will do what he always does with that stupid nervous snigger of his followed by some ridiculous smear or attack - and two or three days after the debate he'll be back at Holyrood having to admit he's told yet another whopper - like the one where he claimed he'd taken legal advice on Scotlands admission to the EU - on national TV after being challenged by some political no mark who's done their homework.

It's ok shull you can watch your wee team on alba instead. Mibees PM dicko, he might buy you a pint?

Shull, I'll be in the Govan area tonight and there's some lager in the fridge. It's probably months out of date - it's been in the fridge since Christmas - but you'd be more than welcome to it

Salmond's economic background in oil didn't stop the SNP from grossly over estimating the value of a barrel of the stuff in last years Scottish budget - despite all the advice of his paid for laureate advisors. Salmond also stupidly appeared on National TV claiming the Bank of Scotland was a good bank with no bad debts who's share price was being manipulated by Spivs and Speculators, whilst Darling was already in bail out talks with Lloyds Banking Group and HBOS to stop HBOS from going under.

Salmond's never been good at economics.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

It won't be interesting. We're unlikely to hear anything we haven't already heard. Alastair Darling will be able to speak with an air of authority given that he has actually been in the post of Chancellor of the Exchequer, whilst Salmond will do what he always does with that stupid nervous snigger of his followed by some ridiculous smear or attack - and two or three days after the debate he'll be back at Holyrood having to admit he's told yet another whopper - like the one where he claimed he'd taken legal advice on Scotlands admission to the EU - on national TV after being challenged by some political no mark who's done their homework.

He might well have been the Chancellor of the Exchequer, however like all the best Labour politicians he hasn't worked in the Scottish Parliament serving the people of Scotland. The only way to get our best Scottish Labour politicians to work for the people of Scotland is to have independence. The only way Labour can gain power in a United Kingdom government is to win the popular vote in the South East of England. They are the people that the Labour party need to win over

The SNP are the only party that focus all their attention to Scotland and devote themselves 100% for what they believe is in the best interests of the people of Scotland. Alex Salmond will be able to speak with an air of authority about what is best for Scotland after all he is our First Minister who is in his second term after winning a landslide at the last election. Darling hasn't bothered trying to become elected to the Scottish Parliament.

He might well have been the Chancellor of the Exchequer, however like all the best Labour politicians he hasn't worked in the Scottish Parliament serving the people of Scotland. The only way to get our best Scottish Labour politicians to work for the people of Scotland is to have independence. The only way Labour can gain power in a United Kingdom government is to win the popular vote in the South East of England. They are the people that the Labour party need to win over

The SNP are the only party that focus all their attention to Scotland and devote themselves 100% for what they believe is in the best interests of the people of Scotland. Alex Salmond will be able to speak with an air of authority about what is best for Scotland after all he is our First Minister who is in his second term after winning a landslide at the last election. Darling hasn't bothered trying to become elected to the Scottish Parliament.

What country is it again? lol.gif

A new record, 8 times in 2 short paragraphs. clap.gif

Tonight's debate is interesting as its between 2 of the Scottish politicians who were in power when the UK economy was brought to its knees by Scottish banks run by Scots with a Scottish prime minister overseeing it.

And some folk would have us believe that Scotland's problems are the work of the English. Indeed, they'd have us believe our problems are the work of the Tories!

I bet that none of that is mentioned in tonight's debate... whistling.gif

But remember, we're too wee, poor and stupid to handle the volatility of all that oil. Best to let Westminster look after it for us and give us some pocket money back every year.

Who said that?

And there isn't people on here who really believe that the worlds largest oil field has just been found in Shetland.... Is there?!

Who said that?

And there isn't people on here who really believe that the worlds largest oil field has just been found in Shetland.... Is there?!

Who said that?

Lex have told you a few times there is vast oil fields to the west of Shetland . West Of Scotland , Outer Clyde. This would be another huge oil boom. Don't blow your second chance of independence. Of course if you want more wars and new nuclear weapons costing hundreds of billions then vote No