The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see that Fred Goodwin had his knighthood stripped today.

Let's remember that back in 2007 that Alex Salmond sent a letter to Goodwin at the time of RBS's purchase of ABN AMRO saying “Yours for Scotland”, “would like to offer any assistance my office can provide”.

John Swinney, said in a separate letter at the time that the deal was “an enormous achievement for RBS” that helped make Scotland seem “an attractive place to do business”.

And to think that these clowns want to run an independent Scotland. To think that these fools blame England for all our ills...

You have conveniently forgotten that the bank regulator, the FSA, was censured by the Treasury Select Committee for failing to stop the ABN Amro takeover.

"The Financial Services Authority could and should have intervened to block Royal Bank of Scotland taking over Dutch bank ABN Amro, the Treasury select committee has said, in a report that makes a "serious indictment" of the former management of the City regulator."

Did England really do any better?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/oct/19/regulator-rbs-abn-amro-financial-services-authority

Edited by smcc

You have conveniently forgotten that the bank regulator, the FSA, was censured by the Treasury Select Committee for failing to stop the ABN Amro takeover.

"The Financial Services Authority could and should have intervened to block Royal Bank of Scotland taking over Dutch bank ABN Amro, the Treasury select committee has said, in a report that makes a "serious indictment" of the former management of the City regulator."

Did England really do any better?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/oct/19/regulator-rbs-abn-amro-financial-services-authority

So if Gilmour gets St Mirren relegated this season he should really blame the SFA for not stopping him from appointing Tommy Craig?

What a load of shite!

Of course you've lost it, you're ranting and raving like a fat, ugly, deluded, Nazi-loving simpleton - oh, wait a minute ...

You keep going on about this 4 out of 32 stuff. While it is correct, it is totally meaningless as it would have been possible to win the referendum by winning just 4 out of 32 but then again, numbers aren't your strong point.

I wasn't defeated as I wasn't a choice in the referendum. The side I supported lost, not me, so stop trying to make this personal fat boy. whistling.gif

Edinburgh Castle? Don't talk shite.

Apparently Salmond spent his own money on the jet - what's your problem?

All the rest about elections, non-Scottish companies and coups is just more misrepresentation on your behalf.

As I've asked you a couple of times now, what has Sturgeon's looks got to do with anything?

We won't know about the BoE stuff for about another 10 years. biggrin.png

Oh dear. Remember when St Mirren won the League Cup and all those pictures appeared of the open top bus that Hearts had organised for their inevitable win? Remember how pathetic that looked? Now think about Alex Salmond's Lear Jet still sitting in it's hanger at 10pm on the 18th of September with silly Salmond trying desperately to claw his deposit back. What a loser! What a sad pathetic little scrotum of a man! A life time of dreaming about his coronation and a massive 2.1m Scots are so driven to ensure it doesn't happen they get down to their polling station and vote No. The deluded fantasist failed to lay out his plans for a fairer Scotland, and he asked his country to trust him and in every single corner of the country they answered, resoundingly, telling him to go f**k himself. And better still, they've done it in a way that the twat actually believed he'd done enough to be crowned King of Scotland

I'd offer you a Kleenex but I doubt you'd know where to start with it. You followed your false prophet to abyss. The tin pot dictator who would have set up office at Edinburgh Castle; who would have had Scotland buy him his own Presidential Jet.

Yes followers like you believed that an Independent Scotland would produce and sell more hydrocarbon fossil fuels to the world than we've ever done before, that we'd do it without fracking, whilst building windmills everywhere to sell electricity to the South East of England where the nuclear powered French with their abundance of cheap and always available electricity are 300 miles closer. Some in the Yes Campaign actually wanted Patrick Harvey, the leader of the GREEN Party to front up the government whilst believing that exploiting our oil reserves would finance our nation. I guess those stupid people don't understand the Green Party's stance on exploration on the Continental Shelf.

I'n delighted the prospect of Scottish Independence has gone. We really did dodge one hell of a bullet. Hopefully if the question ever does come round again, the electorate will have better educated itself to party politics and they'll see the cluster f**k for what the Yes Campaign always was.

Oh dear. Remember when St Mirren won the League Cup and all those pictures appeared of the open top bus that Hearts had organised for their inevitable win? Remember how pathetic that looked? Now think about Alex Salmond's Lear Jet still sitting in it's hanger at 10pm on the 18th of September with silly Salmond trying desperately to claw his deposit back. What a loser! What a sad pathetic little scrotum of a man!

you may say salmond is a loser, but always remember he has achieved more in his life than you could ever dream of. You spend the majority of your life trawling a web site about a team you claim not to even support. Let's reassess who the loser is…..

So if Gilmour gets St Mirren relegated this season he should really blame the SFA for not stopping him from appointing Tommy Craig?

What a load of shite!

Again, no answer to my question! One of these years you will answer a question directly instead of going off at a tangent.

Did England, the would-be lords of the world, do any better than Scotland in predicting the RBS meltdown. After all, they (England/UK) had set up the FSA to regulate the UK financial services. Like many other UK quangos it did not do its job.

Edited by smcc

Again, no answer to my question! One of these years you will answer a question directly instead of going off at a tangent.

Did England, the would-be lords of the world, do any better than Scotland in predicting the RBS meltdown. After all, they (England/UK) had set up the FSA to regulate the UK financial services. Like many other UK quangos it did not do its job.

The UK government are doing a fine job when it comes to finance.................whistling.gif

Here's their latest scheme to increase the poverty gap.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29402844

Edited by FTOF

The UK government are doing a fine job when it comes to finance.................whistling.gif

Here's their latest scheme to increase the poverty gap.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29402844

My mother-in-law won't be happy with this.

She might end up having to either downgrade her annual holiday from Turkey to Salou or possibly give up her atumn holiday...

Either that or she won't be able to buy the kids the latest ipads, sony playstations, etc at Christmas.

Its a tough life being poor in the UK...

You didn't even read my post, did you......

He doesn't need to. You Boot Boys post the same thing every day and refuse to let go of something that was clearly not wanted by the majority of the people of Scotland. It was people like you, swept up into a frenzy by Mr Salmond and his cohorts who believed a "Yes" win was achievable. I'll say one thing for him - he used his tactics and scaremongering like a charm and you foot soldiers fell for it.

You appear unable to grasp the difference between England and the UK...

Indeed.

Its an utter disgrace that the government should try and provide incentives for people to work hard and save money.

Much better to encourage them to rely on the state...

More likely they've made rip roaring c**t of their job in banking and received a huge payoff from their London based chums.

Or they've worked for or been chairman of a company that's avoided paying tax for years, on the say so of successive Westminster governments, and amassed a huge personal fortune.

Sadly, that's the reality of the situation.

More likely they've made rip roaring c**t of their job in banking and received a huge payoff from their London based chums.

Or they've worked for or been chairman of a company that's avoided paying tax for years, on the say so of successive Westminster governments, and amassed a huge personal fortune.

Sadly, that's the reality of the situation.

none of those things apply to me (apart from making a c**t of my job - which i do on a regular basis)... But this tax change will benefit me and anyone else with money purchase pension benefits.

the bankers you mention will likely be on defined benefit schemed so the change wont affect them

and i believe there is an upper limit of 1.25 million? Again, the kind of people you are talking about will have pension money in excess of that...

Edited by Phil McCracken

Indeed. I don't want to see Slartibartfast, SalmondBuddie, FTOF and other extremists fill this website with more of their evil ways.

I'm guessing that's me you're referring to, and I know I shouldn't but, okay, I'll bite, Siddley - show some posts where I'm being an "extremist" and demonstrate my "evil ways."

Of course, if it's someone else you mean then please accept my apologies.

I don't even need to show them to you, as you know as well as I do, you've made posts referring to people different from you, even ones with health problems, in a joke like way. If that kind of behaviour is comfortable with you and you don't mind other people reading such posts then fair enough, good on you Salmon(d)Buddie. All joking aside, you won't see me pointing and laughing at folk with health issues or disabilities. That's the difference between being a brown shirt and a person who wears normal clothing.

And again, put up or shut up - where did I make these comments, how are they "extremist" and what are the "evil ways" you mention - quotes please.

Still waiting, John.

He doesn't need to. You Boot Boys post the same thing every day and refuse to let go of something that was clearly not wanted by the majority of the people of Scotland. It was people like you, swept up into a frenzy by Mr Salmond and his cohorts who believed a "Yes" win was achievable. I'll say one thing for him - he used his tactics and scaremongering like a charm and you foot soldiers fell for it.

How about you reply as requested before sticking your neb in where it's neither wanted nor needed.

According to ABI in 2013 the average UK pension pot at retirement is around £36,000.

No wonder more and more people are having to work beyond 65.

Once the new rules come in allowing people to essentially cash in their pension funds more and more will become strapped by poverty in old age.

If only people would spend less than they earn and save/invest the difference in an ISA or SIPP....

those pension pots don't include defined benefit schemes

in addition, many folk have multiple pots with different companies

for example, i have 5 different pots (plus am a deferred member of a defined benefit scheme)

2 of these pots are worth less than £3k each, thus bringing down the average.

According to ABI in 2013 the average UK pension pot at retirement is around £36,000.

No wonder more and more people are having to work beyond 65.

Once the new rules come in allowing people to essentially cash in their pension funds more and more will become strapped by poverty in old age.

If only people would spend less than they earn and save/invest the difference in an ISA or SIPP....

should also point out that a sipp is a pension as well and will also be subject to the pension changes in april

indeed, most sipp customers are likely to have wealth that allows them to take flexible drawdown just now.. Ie, they can already cash it all in

and there has never been a limit on cashing in isas