Billy Mehmet

craignumawan

With Adam Campbell most likely signing for us on loan is there the budget for Billy ?

Always liked his workrate and the fact that he played football with a smile on his face.

Hopefully Campbell won't cost too much, don't think we'd be paying all his wages would we? And with Bahouken gone that will free some money up. Don't think Mehmet would be asking for a huge wage anyway.

I'm encouraged by all the positive posts about Billy.

Even if he weren't to sign, it is great to read some complimentary stuff about the player given that he was much maligned by sections of the support while he was with us despite being a solid, reliable pro throughout his time with Saints.

Like others, I think he could slot in well, and thought it was a pity that he left when he did as he would have benefitted from a different approach to playing the game. To a great extent, we would know what we were getting, and while I don't doubt that many would be sceptical as to what he could offer, would there really be a great deal to lose?

#bringbackbilly (did I do that right...?)

Guest somner9

In all honesty, given that some of Danny's punts have been less than sparkling, does anyone really think Billy-M can comeback and compete against the majority of SPFL teams???

I'd love to see it, but always feel wary of looking back with a rose tinted view that only sees the good times, and the really bad but ignores the long periods of next to nothingness...

Franco Miranda.... this time last year anyone?

Always liked The Goal Machine and thought that Gus played him in the wrong position and did not play to his strengths. I think he is far better suited to the way we play now as he is a good team player and footballer who is confident on the ball and holds it up well and brings others into play. A welcome addition to the squad if he signed. Suspect we may have a couple players leave in January anyway so hopefully wages should not be a big issue.

Guest somner9

I fondly remember the "Billy Mehmet is a f**king goal machine song"... although like the "we're by far the geatest team the world has ever seen" song in my mind I slip my own words in to keep it real

"we,re by far the greatest team... that Renfrewshire's ever seen"

you can take the boy out of Paisley.....

Abercromby? Is he a bit auld but, hey, better than "No goals Mehmet". :whistle

I was at a game "you should try this sometime" and he scored 5. He was playing beside big Higdon who scored zero. No bad for a non scoring striker.

He scored the goal to promote us to the SPL

He scored a goal in the great escape at Motherwell in the 3-2 win

He scored a goal in the 2-0 great escape at Falkirk.

He scored the only goal in the Semi Final of of the league cup v Hearts

He scored the only goal in the quarter final of the Scottish Cup v Celtic

You wouldn't be able to see this through your magic radio. Who else could we afford that could do a better job?

I was at a game "you should try this sometime" and he scored 5. He was playing beside big Higdon who scored zero. No bad for a non scoring striker.

You wouldn't be able to see this through your magic radio. Who else could we afford that could do a better job?

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Aye, selective stats, cannie beat them.

Must do better, although I doubt you can. bye1.gif

Many important assists could be added to that list, but I think it is fair to say that some people are a little blinkered to Billy's contribution.

lol.giflol.gif:lol

Aye, selective stats, cannie beat them.

Must do better, although I doubt you can. bye1.gif

Of course it is selective. That is the point.

Kendo has listed some key goals in key games. I'm not taking from his post that he regards Billy as a world class striker, but that isn't the point.

Of course it is selective. That is the point.Kendo has listed some key goals in key games. I'm not taking from his post that he regards Billy as a world class striker, but that isn't the point.

Correct Drew, my point is, in the market we operate we would struggle to get a better player.

Correct Drew, my point is, in the market we operate we would struggle to get a better player.

Oh FFS, ok, Billy, "I run around a lot", scored a vast amount if his goals against lower league sides.

He's been playing in Mickey Mouse football for 3 years, and is FAR from match fit.

Just for the record, AGAIN, I liked him but he's past his sell by date and I, which I'm perfectly allowed, am of the opinion he's not the answer.

Now, take down that "Mehmet Naked" calendar and stop getting sooooo upset. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Of course it is selective. That is the point.

Kendo has listed some key goals in key games. I'm not taking from his post that he regards Billy as a world class striker, but that isn't the point.

My point about selective stats is exactly that ,they can be used to show a one sided point. blink.png

I could easily roll out the amount of games he hasn't scored in, WTF's the point in that? huh.png

My feeling is that he was a player on whom Saints could rely to try his best - which was not bad - at a time when there was not such other talent as we now have, in support of his solo role up front.

He scored some good, some vital goals - not as prolific as Thommo -but circumstances have changed. There would be more of a team effort in support.

Billy can do a job. :)

Oh FFS, ok, Billy, "I run around a lot", scored a vast amount if his goals against lower league sides. He's been playing in Mickey Mouse football for 3 years, and is FAR from match fit. Just for the record, AGAIN, I liked him but he's past his sell by date and I, which I'm perfectly allowed, am of the opinion he's not the answer. Now, take down that "Mehmet Naked" calendar and stop getting sooooo upset. :lol:lol:lol

People love Teale, yes Teale the chap that hasn't scored a goal in the league with us in 2 and a half years

How do you know that he's far from match fit? You should phone up Danny and tip him off.

Both Teale and Mehmet have done good jobs for us but they ain't out and out strikers but they are in our budget range.

Who do you think is the answer, Van Persie or Rooney perhaps?

Edited by Kendo

Mehmet was a class player who was totally under appreciated by many in the Saints support. Never a 'goal machine' but the goals he did score were mostly important ones. His overall contribution was about much more than goals and he gave everything for the team, unlike a few we've had since. If he were fit, I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Edited because I'm a bit pissed! Office Christmas lunch!!

Edited by saint in exile