Smoking In Cars With Children...

bluto

Guest TPAFKATS

Don't have a problem with protecting children from effects of 2nd hand smoke in cars... However how do we enforce it?

Edited for sausage fingers

Edited by TPAFKATS

The only thing that I dont understand is if and when they ban smoking in cars with children it will be a pain in the arse all we will read in the papers is couple in court for smoking in there OWN car with THERE children in it and the parents fighting it saying it is a breach off there human rights.

Don't have a problem with protecting children from effects of 2nd hand smoke in cars... However how do we enforce it?

Edited for sausage fingers

It is already enforceable IMO... just needs highlighting.

You can get points for eating a mars bar or drinking coke whilst driving.

Is lighting and smoking a cigarette any safer?

The only thing that I dont understand is if and when they ban smoking in cars with children it will be a pain in the arse all we will read in the papers is couple in court for smoking in there OWN car with THERE children in it and the parents fighting it saying it is a breach off there human rights.

No doubt there will be some people who are so caught up in their own desires and needs that they'll be prepared to go to court to fight for the right to poison their own children.

They'll be wrong to do so and they'll lose.

Eventually, like all humans, they'll die out and they'll take with them racists, homophobes, sectarian scum, sexists, ageists and all other people who have no tolerance of anyone and make life misery for millions. The rest of us have the job of ensuring they are not replaced with a new breed.

The British Lung Foundation (despite it thinking it may have lost out on this progressive move) has been astounded by political shifts that make it likely that this law could be passed on Monday. smile.png

I know most of you - smokers or not - are rational and would consider the health of kids in cars, in general, so it probably would not impact on you , but some folk just don't think about it. Don't even consider it.

They might need a wee nudge.

And so do bloody MPs.

This BLF website makes it a dawdle to let you nudge your MP.

Go on. Go on. Go on!

It won't hurt you: it might help some kids.

smile.png

Dear Brian

Thank you for your e-mail about smoking in cars carrying children.

I will be supporting the measure in the Children and Families Bill when it returns to the House of Commons later today, and I will be urging my colleagues to do the same.

Yours sincerely

Michael McCann MP

Dear Brian

Thank you for your e-mail about smoking in cars carrying children.

I will be supporting the measure in the Children and Families Bill when it returns to the House of Commons later today, and I will be urging my colleagues to do the same.

Yours sincerely

Michael McCann MP

You're lucky!

My MP, IanhyphenDuncanhyphenSmith, has just ignored me.... as he always does, to be fair. :)

Just last week , I began to explain to them about the offside rule , l explained with the old story about the two people in the shop , waiting in the queue. .

wA8W9vB.gif

ETA; corners are a bit more tricky because they keep getting the concept of Muller Fruit Corners, Salmonbuddie. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

I'm sorry is this a serious comment or are you having a laugh?

Oakie. A few years ago the Daily Record had a rundown of tax from tobacco and the cost of treating smoking related illnesses. It transpired that the state had a net gain. I have the piece somewhere at work and will post it when I find it. Now. As I said previously. I am an EX smoker of some 17 years so I have no bias in this.

Oakie. A few years ago the Daily Record had a rundown of tax from tobacco and the cost of treating smoking related illnesses. It transpired that the state had a net gain. I have the piece somewhere at work and will post it when I find it. Now. As I said previously. I am an EX smoker of some 17 years so I have no bias in this.

aye buddie anybuddie wi a brain kens about that. cheers. .

http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_121.pdf

The short summary is that published reports in 2013 state that in 2011-2012 the total tobacco tax take was about £12.1 billion pounds including VAT.

It's estimated that the total cost due to tobacco use in this country was £13.74 billion pounds.

There's a whole heap of probably dry and boring academic financial studies referenced in that report but a shortfall of more than £1.5 billion pounds is quite a lot.

Bear in mind the total cost includes more than just the immediate health costs.

It's clearly the reason why governments want to see a reduction in smoking.

Edited by oaksoft

http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_121.pdf

The short summary is that published reports in 2013 state that in 2011-2012 the total tobacco tax take was about £12.1 billion pounds including VAT.

It's estimated that the total cost due to tobacco use in this country was £13.74 billion pounds.

There's a whole heap of probably dry and boring academic financial studies referenced in that report but a shortfall of more than £1.5 billion pounds is quite a lot.

Bear in mind the total cost includes more than just the immediate health costs.

It's clearly the reason why governments want to see a reduction in smoking.

Come on Oakie! The cost of smoke breaks? The cost of ASSUMED absence from work? The cost of cleaning up ciggie butts? ASH obviously have no axe to grind, do they? What about taxing crisps to the hilt? What about coca cola or pepsi. Do the clean up merchants just leave those containers on the ground and solely concern themselves with the fagends?

Talk about massaging figures to suit an argument!

I doubt they'll admit to this though. They'll say it's only the tip of the iceberg and continue to draw conclusions! Talk about a smokescreen!

(Edited to add a pun.)

Edited by stlucifer

Come on Oakie! The cost of smoke breaks? The cost of ASSUMED absence from work? The cost of cleaning up ciggie butts? ASH obviously have no axe to grind, do they? What about taxing crisps to the hilt? What about coca cola or pepsi. Do the clean up merchants just leave those containers on the ground and solely concern themselves with the fagends?

I doubt they'll admit to this though. They'll say it's only the tip of the iceberg and continue to draw conclusions! Talk about a smokescreen!

(Edited to add a pun.)

Oh, I was waiting for this one to come up.....................

Quite a few years ago when I was "working" for a living in engineering I calculated that smokers who nipped out for a ciggie lost 21 days throughout the year away from their machines so I politely asked that I, as a non smoker, have an extra 21 days holiday.

The general manager was struggling to give a decent response, eventually resorting to "fcuk off" but I reminded him that the 4 smokers were losing us 84 days production a year.

This was measurable, and he, off the record, indicated he would strongly look to employ non smokers for key machining process in future.

Still didn't get me my 21 extra days holiday, b'strd.

Oh, I was waiting for this one to come up.....................

Quite a few years ago when I was "working" for a living in engineering I calculated that smokers who nipped out for a ciggie lost 21 days throughout the year away from their machines so I politely asked that I, as a non smoker, have an extra 21 days holiday.

The general manager was struggling to give a decent response, eventually resorting to "fcuk off" but I reminded him that the 4 smokers were losing us 84 days production a year.

This was measurable, and he, off the record, indicated he would strongly look to employ non smokers for key machining process in future.

Still didn't get me my 21 extra days holiday, b'strd.

That's a cracker shame !

Edited by shull

(Edited to add a pun.)

Do you seriously think I'd present figures from a biased source and expect you to believe them?

I'm not Dickson FFS - give me some credit.

Ash haven't made those figures up. All of them are referenced at the bottom of the document and are from independent academic studies.

As for crisps and coca cola? Where are you getting the idea that I disagree with you on that?

Smoking, alcohol abuse and obesity are three major problems in our society.

I'd personally want to see taxes for sugar and fat contents above a certain amount for the same reason I'd like cigarettes completely banned but I accept that neither will ever happen.

BTW as regards obesity - here's a wee game. Try standing at the entrance to somewhere like a shopping centre or Asda or something. Start with blokes. Count the number out of every ten who pass you who you consider to have a bigger belly than their chest.

Then move onto women.

If you get a number less than 8 out of 10 for both on average let me know.

I thought obesity was an exaggeration. If anything it's actually being played down.

Edited by oaksoft