Classical Music

pozbaird

All of the above are good, very good indeed. But if you want greatness please listen to this as it is a work of true and inspired genius. It is Ralph Vaughn Williams "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis". (Read the notes on it on Wikipedia to understand what RVW was setting out to achieve - he just hit it in spades)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAtx578yaZ8&noredirect=1

It's only just over 16mins (he also wrote two revisions which were slightly shorter but the above is the real deal) so I try and listen to it every day.

Spot on with this. Much better than his more well known and acclaimed work.

I'm not going to kid on I know much about it but a selection of some of the tracks I love listening to are

Carmen Suite No 2

Balero

Romeo and Juliet Op64 Act 1 Dance of the Knights

The Grand March from Verdi's Aida.

William Tell: Overture

Mandolin Concerto in C Allegro

Eliza's Aria from Wild Swan

And I'm not sure where the crossover comes but these Bond girls are really watchable and they know how to play a good tune.

I'm not going to kid on I know much about it but a selection of some of the tracks I love listening to are

Carmen Suite No 2

Balero

Romeo and Juliet Op64 Act 1 Dance of the Knights

The Grand March from Verdi's Aida.

William Tell: Overture

Mandolin Concerto in C Allegro

Eliza's Aria from Wild Swan

And I'm not sure where the crossover comes but these Bond girls are really watchable and they know how to play a good tune.

Interesting that you list the william tell overture. have you ever managed to listen to it without thinking of the lone ranger?

Interesting that you list the william tell overture. have you ever managed to listen to it without thinking of the lone ranger?

Yes, although to be fair I didn't really watch cowboy movies so that might be why. It does put me back in a particular place in time with a particular personal memory though but I find that most of my music playlist would do that anyway.

Yes, although to be fair I didn't really watch cowboy movies so that might be why. It does put me back in a particular place in time with a particular personal memory though but I find that most of my music playlist would do that anyway.

Whoosh.

You're too young. (I hate giving compliments....)

It was a tv series.

Whenever I need to calm doon, chill oot... say I've been on the Referendum Thread.... :rolleyes:

...I turn to Schubert - his Adagio in E Flat. )

Barrington Pheloung used this as the opening music for the (currently on) episode of Endeavour. :)

Very well used, too. Dunno who by - his own wee band, I guess.

• 7 months later...

There are a lot of great classical music out there though have a good few LP's it's played now and again to get away from the same same main stream. Sometimes orchestras can spin out certain cuts too long. Funny have been listening to Camel - The Snow Goose - Mirage great music along the line of classic instrumental rock

I was once read that there was no translation for Gymnopedies , which I thought was strange but indeed a great piece , which I used to be able to play on the recorder. .

As for Poz , you should listen to Stravinsky's The Right of Spring. Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherizad is also good as is Borodins Prince Igor (well the Overture is good anyway). .

Gymnopedies was a word Satie made up purely to make the pieve sound different!

I adore Saties Gnossienne and Gymnopedie... brilliant pieces.

Gymnopedies was a word Satie made up purely to make the pieve sound different!

I adore Saties Gnossienne and Gymnopedie... brilliant pieces.

"Pieve" was a word you made up purely to make yourself appear musically knowledgeable.

I adore Mutton pie and chips. Pure dead brilliant! :P

There are a lot of great classical music out there though have a good few LP's it's played now and again to get away from the same same main stream. Sometimes orchestras can spin out certain cuts too long. Funny have been listening to Camel - The Snow Goose - Mirage great music along the line of classic instrumental rock

I only recently got The Snow Goose on vinyl but it wasn't as I remembered it somehow and I only really liked side1 . .

Years ago people used to compare the album to the work of certain Scottish led band Jethro Tull , however , I find any real similarity a bit vague. .which brings me to an album of Tull music played by the London Symphony Orchestra( conducted by onetime Tull member , David Palmer from the Royal College of music) , unfortunately , I haven't found it on vinyl , yet. .

https://www.youtube.com/user/KeyboardFox

This is a link to a friend's son's youtube page. He is Scottish neo classical composer (very folk tinged, in a post-Oldfield style) and pianist with a growing reputation

He recorded his last album at Abbey Rd with the English Chamber Orchestra and is currently writing a symphony for release next year.