Teachers - Great Idea

faraway saint

They are contracted to work around the lower figure you quote but are currently campaigning to work only 20 hours in the classroom, thus removing them form all the hassle that goes with being a teacher.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2302936/Now-teachers-demand-work-just-35-hours-week--want-allowed-home.html

Overall I'm not too fussed what teachers terms & conditions are but the constant whinging gets a bit much.

It's the one's that are not teachers, who appear to do the most whinging.

Sorted. wink.png

Can't beat a good whinge. thumbup2.gif

There should be a forum "sinbin" offence for persistent windbaggery.

You've earned the first 9 yellow cards for this thread alone.

Applications for the mandatory teaching 12 months postgraduate degree start in September. Stop bashing your gums, get your application in and let us know how you get on. I expect that with your involvment the face of teaching will be changed forever.

Edited by oaksoft

There should be a forum "sinbin" offence for persistent windbaggery.

You've earned the first 9 yellow cards for this thread alone.

Applications for the mandatory teaching 12 months postgraduate degree start in September. Stop bashing your gums, get your application in and let us know how you get on. I expect that with your involvment the face of teaching will be changed forever.

I have a new position to start in August, thanks for the invitation, university isn't for me.

Now, run along. bye1.gif

PS We've been here before, your constant mention of degrees etc, there is other routes that can be very fulfilling and bring a decent standard of living.

As for "windbaggery", you really have to be joking, right? lol.gif

Edited by faraway saint

I have a new position to start in August, thanks for the invitation, university isn't for me.

Now, run along. bye1.gif

PS We've been here before, your constant mention of degrees etc, there is other routes that can be very fulfilling and bring a decent standard of living.

As for "windbaggery", you really have to be joking, right? lol.gif

There's only a certain degree you can go to before you fall over.

Looks like my original point is being lost/overlooked by many.

Ok, teachers have terms & conditions that many workers could only dream about.

A very desirable pension scheme, full sickness pay, 3 months holiday and short hours. (all facts before people start bleating)

We seem to have many people who concentrate on the "extra hours" they do but this is impossible to substantiate and also how many teachers actually do these hours.

While teaching in a secondary school has it's challenges isn't that their job? Don't other jobs have challenges, targets, pressure?

Primary school teaching also has challenges, learning all the "tables", sticking leaves onto a board and singing songs.

While most of the above is tongue in cheek the idea this profession is up there with the most difficult is far fro the truth.

well considering you reply to almost every thread with a pile of fookin smileys you cannae really moan - at least folk are actually discussing something here! I await your 8 smiley response *rolls eyes*

Just an idea"....

But why dont we put aw the loud mouth f**kers who reckon they could control a class of 15 year olds and help them attain the best the can in their exams.. Into the job..?

Come on Dicko its easy....right?

It must be.

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet and not giving other coaches who deserve more credit than me, that's exactly what I have been doing for the last 15 years through Juvenile football and through athletics. I've been controlling a group of kids - this year the football team is full of 15 and 16 year olds - and I've been teaching them in subjects like teamwork, discipline, and the importance of studying experts and learning to emulate them. In terms of results, well by my count there are 12 lads who we've taken from having never played football before to going pro youth. The results on the park have been mixed as we rebuild after every pro youth raid, but this season we won the league before the end of February at that point having won all but one of our league matches - a game played in really bad weather conditions which finished a draw. In work I teach too. I must do cause I've lost count of the number of apprentices and trainees who have worked with me over the years.

I've never been interested in teaching as an occupation and I don't think I could cope with it. Nothing to do with the kids, but teachers would do my f**king head in as would the long holidays and doing nothing. I certainly couldn't sit in a staffroom and listen to work shy people telling me how difficult their life is and I couldn't be represented by a union that fails to recognise the kind of devastating effect their ill thought out industrial action is having on the quality of life of the kids their members are supposed to care so much about.

It must be.

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet and not giving other coaches who deserve more credit than me, that's exactly what I have been doing for the last 15 years through Juvenile football and through athletics. I've been controlling a group of kids - this year the football team is full of 15 and 16 year olds - and I've been teaching them in subjects like teamwork, discipline, and the importance of studying experts and learning to emulate them. In terms of results, well by my count there are 12 lads who we've taken from having never played football before to going pro youth. The results on the park have been mixed as we rebuild after every pro youth raid, but this season we won the league before the end of February at that point having won all but one of our league matches - a game played in really bad weather conditions which finished a draw. In work I teach too. I must do cause I've lost count of the number of apprentices and trainees who have worked with me over the years.

I've never been interested in teaching as an occupation and I don't think I could cope with it. Nothing to do with the kids, but teachers would do my f**king head in as would the long holidays and doing nothing. I certainly couldn't sit in a staffroom and listen to work shy people telling me how difficult their life is and I couldn't be represented by a union that fails to recognise the kind of devastating effect their ill thought out industrial action is having on the quality of life of the kids their members are supposed to care so much about.

Well good on you for admitting you couldn't do it.

Might be time to stop drawing attention to that fact now???

What is different is that depth of subject has been sacrificed for breadth.

In other words they are learning about more areas but each of those in less depth.

This I actually agree with.

At such young ages you want kids exposed to as many things as possible rather than drilling down into the details of subjects too soon.

I can't stress enough that school on its own isn't there to teach mastery of any subject. It's there to provide opportunity for further study at university where you certainly will start progressively drilling down into a specific area.

It's almost impossible to teach subjects such as Physics and Chemistry to pretty much any more detail than they already do at school because the kids simply won't have the maths to cope with it.

Universities currently pick up the slack in depth and they do a pretty good job of it in those two subjects at least.

SO in summary, teaachers are having to teach an increasing breadth of different subjects.

It's all changed from when we were kids Stuart. It's no longer necessary for kids to ever calculate logarithms by slide rule.

OK - so what you are saying is that teachers don't need to understand the strategy of the battles, they just need to know that that loads of battles happened. I don't really see the problem there. Surely all they need to do is instead of presenting a class on the kind of gas warfare that was going on at Ypres they just trim their lesson to say that Ypres saw five of the biggest deadliest battles in the First World War?

Don't get me wrong what you are saying makes perfect sense to me, especially after listening to my girlfriends 14 year old son reading back an essay he was about to submit on Irish Immigration for his History class where he claimed that after the Potato Famine in 1845 "all the Irish people came to Scotland, except for the ones who could afford to fly to Canada who moved there instead." he also claimed in the same essay that the Potato Famine had little effect on the Irish people for the first five years when infact over 1,000,000 are estimated to have died in those five years from starvation. That also followed on from his essay of a few months back where he was trying to make the case that Adolf Hitler was a lovely man who had just been misunderstood by his Generals.

Not for those planning to take up a profession as a qualifed and practising teacher which was the entire point of this thread.

As for your new job? Good luck. Hopefully it'll be challenging enough for you that you don't feel the need to whine about other people's jobs.

OK - so what you are saying is that teachers don't need to understand the strategy of the battles, they just need to know that that loads of battles happened. I don't really see the problem there. Surely all they need to do is instead of presenting a class on the kind of gas warfare that was going on at Ypres they just trim their lesson to say that Ypres saw five of the biggest deadliest battles in the First World War?

Don't get me wrong what you are saying makes perfect sense to me, especially after listening to my girlfriends 14 year old son reading back an essay he was about to submit on Irish Immigration for his History class where he claimed that after the Potato Famine in 1845 "all the Irish people came to Scotland, except for the ones who could afford to fly to Canada who moved there instead." he also claimed in the same essay that the Potato Famine had little effect on the Irish people for the first five years when infact over 1,000,000 are estimated to have died in those five years from starvation. That also followed on from his essay of a few months back where he was trying to make the case that Adolf Hitler was a lovely man who had just been misunderstood by his Generals.

I've no idea. I didn't do history beyond second year.

Just an idea"....

But why dont we put aw the loud mouth f**kers who reckon they could control a class of 15 year olds and help them attain the best the can in their exams.. Into the job..?

Come on Dicko its easy....right?

Very good point made very well, very well indeed.

Did you know that "Dicko" used to run a juvenile football team?

I did but only because he has mentioned it on this forum a few dozen times in the past. It is a scandal that he has not as yet been mentioned in the new years honours list. Perhaps we should all write to the palace this instant!

No way in hell would I want to even try and control a class of hormone filled 15 year olds, not a chance. Certianly not a school in Paisley anyway as I would not know what to do. I would imagine managing a class in Greenock would be somewhat easier as I would fill a squeezie bottle with soapy water and squeeze it at them if they mis-behaved.

Not for those planning to take up a profession as a qualifed and practising teacher which was the entire point of this thread.

As for your new job? Good luck. Hopefully it'll be challenging enough for you that you don't feel the need to whine about other people's jobs.

Oh Oakey, fail.

The entire point of this thread was to point out the ludicrous ideas that teachers have, and have had for years.

No sense of reality, moaning every year about something and still not happy with more holidays than Santa.

Now, run along, you must have a sore head with all this. bye1.gif