£0.05 Carrier Bag Charge To Save The Polar Bears

shull

I will need to, in future, take my own carrier bag to my local Chinese takeaway.

My meal, the other night, was my usual £3.50.

I was informed an extra £0.05 was required for the bag to put my meal in. ( skimpiest and thinnest bag ever )

I only had the correct money ( £3.50 )

They let me off this time.

I'm beginning to like this plastic bag nonsense. The policy is still a f**king joke but yesterday I got my Tesco home delivery again. As always I requested no bags, and as always Tesco placed a number of items in their yellow and green colour coded bags. I joked about it with the delivery driver and he said the company have got no other way of sorting out the shopping and he told me that one of his customers complained to Customer Services about it and he'd got a voucher. So nothing ventured nothing gained, I sent off my e-mail saying that it was a disgrace that in Scotland - a country where we ration plastic bags to those on low pay, esco would flout their wealth by giving them away for free - and sure enough by return e-mail there was a £5 voucher code for me to use on my next shopping.

I will need to, in future, take my own carrier bag to my local Chinese takeaway.

My meal, the other night, was my usual £3.50.

I was informed an extra £0.05 was required for the bag to put my meal in. ( skimpiest and thinnest bag ever )

I only had the correct money ( £3.50 )

They let me off this time.

Only you could get a chinese take away 'meal' for what, £3.50..............seriously ?? That is very competitive pricing, actually worryingly competitive !!?? Presumably the diced seagull was getting to its use by date then ??

So , I wonder, what constitues a 'meal' ? I assume you opt for the main dish only , avoiding the rice tax altogether , or are you a maybe a salt n chilli chips man, with a side of curry sauce ..................... now there's authentic Chinese cooking

Only you could get a chinese take away 'meal' for what, £3.50..............seriously ?? That is very competitive pricing, actually worryingly competitive !!?? Presumably the diced seagull was getting to its use by date then ??

So , I wonder, what constitues a 'meal' ? I assume you opt for the main dish only , avoiding the rice tax altogether , or are you a maybe a salt n chilli chips man, with a side of curry sauce ..................... now there's authentic Chinese cooking

A portion of Chips & a portion of Curry Sauce ( seperate )

Had cooked my own Chicken at Home to complete my main meal thumbup2.gif

Edited by shull

One thing that annoys me about the plastic bag thing is where you get toys delivered to Tesco for collection at store. Used to be always wrapped, however recently they started putting them in plastic bags, but with the move to charge they stopped using the bags and bring the toys straight out unwrapped... not great if the small person they are for is with you!

One thing that annoys me about the plastic bag thing is where you get toys delivered to Tesco for collection at store. Used to be always wrapped, however recently they started putting them in plastic bags, but with the move to charge they stopped using the bags and bring the toys straight out unwrapped... not great if the small person they are for is with you!

What scunners me is trying to remember to comply but always forgetting the spare bags are in the car until half way through the supermarket shopping.

What's the protocol for carrying unbagged goods to the car ............................?? See loads of folk walking out of shop with goods in their arms, allows the public a scan of their purchases. Is this an infringement of your Purchasing confidentiality ?? Anyway, trolley and unload into the boot , return trolley to appropriate bay , I would think that's fine. Saw a woman taking her basket out to the car and emptying it into the boot then feckin sitting the basket on top of a trolley in a car bay. Hmm, lazy auld sort , inconsiderate , or a form of £0.05 protest action.

Personally I thought the fruit bat was just ignorant, inconsiderate and self centred, truly beyond help

I think you'll find it's a bit of a nine days' wonder as it was over here. I remember seeing folk spending £60 or the like on groceries then walking away without it because they wouldn't spend 25p on bags. Quite rightly in some ways. But no-one cares any more. The 6p bags are not bad but my house is coming down with them. Keep forgetting them.

A portion of Chips & a portion of Curry Sauce ( seperate )

Had cooked my own Chicken at Home to complete my main meal thumbup2.gif

We don't get a chippy very often but the other my wife asked me to get her a portion of chips. My daughter chipped in could she have a curried chip. The plain chip was £2-20 and the curried chip £3-20. A quid for probably half a ladle of curry sauce. What's the mark up on that? Mind I had a couple of chips and they were quite tasty.

What scunners me is trying to remember to comply but always forgetting the spare bags are in the car until half way through the supermarket shopping.

What's the protocol for carrying unbagged goods to the car ............................?? See loads of folk walking out of shop with goods in their arms, allows the public a scan of their purchases. Is this an infringement of your Purchasing confidentiality ?? Anyway, trolley and unload into the boot , return trolley to appropriate bay , I would think that's fine. Saw a woman taking her basket out to the car and emptying it into the boot then feckin sitting the basket on top of a trolley in a car bay. Hmm, lazy auld sort , inconsiderate , or a form of £0.05 protest action.

Personally I thought the fruit bat was just ignorant, inconsiderate and self centred, truly beyond help

The cleaner in my work, who is from the Govan area, told me this morning that supermarkets are finding that baskets are being stolen.

Rick might well be right that people will stop complaining and just pay for their bags but I hope every Scots voter will remember which party imposed and extra tax on their shopping designed to deliberately boost the profits of some of the wealthiest business in the UK

Edited by Stuart Dickson

The cleaner in my work, who is from the Govan area, told me this morning that supermarkets are finding that baskets are being stolen.

Rick might well be right that people will stop complaining and just pay for their bags but I hope every Scots voter will remember which party imposed and extra tax on their shopping designed to deliberately boost the profits of some of the wealthiest business in the UK

What the supermarkets don't pay their tax levy?

Have you thought that through?

Why don't the supermarkets foot the bill for them? If you are going in and spending £50-100 every week surely they can pay the 50p for the bags?

I appreciate if someone is spending £50 on shopping they should be able to afford the 5p per bag but it's the principle.

How long do we give it until it's 10p a bag?

What the supermarkets don't pay their tax levy?

Have you thought that through?

I'm confused. A few weeks ago I told of how a shop keeper in Penicuik had complained that were going to be invoiced by the local authority for the number of bags that they issue. On here the Natsi's attempted to disprove that - linking to a number of official looking websites that claimed that the Scottish Governments take on this was that shops were to charge the 5p but they could use the money made from that in whatever way they wished - whilst suggesting that it might be a good idea to donate the money to charity, especially one that looks after the environment.

Now you tell us that the supermarkets are being taxed by the Scottish Government on the number of bags they issue.

I might be confused, but one thing is obvious - the SNP have continued their practice of stealing from the poor to give to the rich. They started with simple measures like giving £millionaires free prescriptions. Then it emerges they've started to pay energy companies £millions when it'[s windy to turn off windfarms and now they've imposed a bag tax to ensure supermarkets make even more profit.

We shouldn't forget that this is also the government that gave away a £50m national asset - the Waverley Shopping Centre - to David Murray for 40p and who pledged tax payer support to tax avoiding ex Rangers players and Glasgow Rangers FC in their case against HMRC. Oh, and who offered Amazon a method of avoiding paying the same rate of tax as everyone else so long as they set up an HQ in an independent Scotland.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Proof?

EDIT: I'll include my edit from my last post in case you didn't see it:-

Was Waverley Shopping Centre sold for 40p? You got some proof of that? Not proof that it could have been bought for 40p, proof that it actually was.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Justice/law/17975/LongLeases

The Act states that long leases will be converted into ownership on the 28th of November 2015 so the building hasn't been bought yet, but since the Act was passed and is in law Murray will take outright ownership from the taxpayer for just 40p.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Pay the £1.00 deposit and take get the missus to take your "messages" to the car. Bag them then get the money back.

Paisley man sortgs it!thumbup2.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by stlucifer