Website Design - Doing My Head In

oaksoft

Does anyone have any suggestions for free or cheap website design packages?

I'm after a simple website that I might want to upgrade to e-commerce at some point.

I want to buy a domain name from whoever I want.

I want to design my website and then store it on my hard drive before hosting wherever I want.

I don't want to be tied into using the hosting or domain services of the website design company.

Are there free design tools out there which don't require coding and don't require tie-in to the company offering the tool?

Checking online is doing my head in for the following reasons:-

1) Companies hiding costs or upgrade costs so you don't know what the charges are.

2) Free website hosting which is either unusable or is not free in any sense of the word.

3) Rip-off domain name charges.

4) Rip-off hosting charges.

Does anyone have any suggestions for free or cheap website design packages?

I'm after a simple website that I might want to upgrade to e-commerce at some point.

I want to buy a domain name from whoever I want.

I want to design my website and then store it on my hard drive before hosting wherever I want.

I don't want to be tied into using the hosting or domain services of the website design company.

Are there free design tools out there which don't require coding and don't require tie-in to the company offering the tool?

Checking online is doing my head in for the following reasons:-

1) Companies hiding costs or upgrade costs so you don't know what the charges are.

2) Free website hosting which is either unusable or is not free in any sense of the word.

3) Rip-off domain name charges.

4) Rip-off hosting charges.

My domain name is done through Go Daddy

My web hosting is through a company called Zoom Hosting.

And once your site is activated you can use their in built software - it used to be called Fantastico don't know if it still is - to install Joomla or Wordpress on your website and from there it's fairly simple adapt one of the myriad of templates - free if you want, or paid for if you want something better - to create a very professional looking website fairly quickly.

The one I created for the kids football team was easy to use and we had coaches from all the different age groups using a mobile phone app to upload their match results and pictures to the site. If some of those dunderheids and technophobs could get their head around what to do then I'm sure......ach nah f**k it. You should just pay someone like Div to do it for you. rolleyes.gif

Oh and there are loads of eCommerce extensions that can then be installed onto the Joomla and Wordpress website without too much fuss. Ofcourse unless you are prepared to build something from scratch all the best options for these extensions will cost you money but then it's a simple calculation you need to make on whether it's more efficient to spend more time setting up, or if you want the shortcut of something well designed and functional

Edited by Stuart Dickson

My domain name is done through Go Daddy

My web hosting is through a company called Zoom Hosting.

And once your site is activated you can use their in built software - it used to be called Fantastico don't know if it still is - to install Joomla or Wordpress on your website and from there it's fairly simple adapt one of the myriad of templates - free if you want, or paid for if you want something better - to create a very professional looking website fairly quickly.

The one I created for the kids football team was easy to use and we had coaches from all the different age groups using a mobile phone app to upload their match results and pictures to the site. If some of those dunderheids and technophobs could get their head around what to do then I'm sure......ach nah f**k it. You should just pay someone like Div to do it for you. rolleyes.gif

Oh and there are loads of eCommerce extensions that can then be installed onto the Joomla and Wordpress website without too much fuss. Ofcourse unless you are prepared to build something from scratch all the best options for these extensions will cost you money but then it's a simple calculation you need to make on whether it's more efficient to spend more time setting up, or if you want the shortcut of something well designed and functional

Wordpress is the one for me I think. Thanks.

It's not often you are the most useful poster on a thread but then with FS, shull and that Callum tit (who apparently lives in the REAL world but can't actually find a few words to describe how you pay for things) you weren't exactly up against much competition.

It would be like putting Helen Mirren up for a BAFTA in a category which included 2 plumbers and a professional wrestler and wondering why she won.

Or perhaps comparing a bar of delicious Galaxy milk chocolate with a carrot, a cabbage and a cauliflower and wondering why we have an obesity problem in the UK.

Again.....thanks.

Edited by oaksoft

Wordpress is the one for me I think. Thanks.

It's not often you are the most useful poster on a thread but then with FS, shull and that Callum tit (who apparently lives in the REAL world but can't actually find a few words to describe how you pay for things) you weren't exactly up against much competition.

It would be like putting Helen Mirren up for a BAFTA in a category which included 2 plumbers and a professional wrestler and wondering why she won.

Or perhaps comparing a bar of delicious Galaxy milk chocolate with a carrot, a cabbage and a cauliflower and wondering why we have an obesity problem in the UK.

Again.....thanks.

Are vou calling me a carrot ? lol.gifbangin.giffish.gif

Yep. That just about sums it up.

I'd rather be a pompous prick than thick as f**k TBF.

It's the ultimate lifestyle choice.

I'm happy with my choice.

You're clearly happy-ish with your choice.

Everyone's a winner.

Break out the Bolly……..

I'd rather be a pompous prick than thick as f**k TBF.

It's the ultimate lifestyle choice.

I'm happy with my choice.

You're clearly happy-ish with your choice.

Everyone's a winner.

Break out the Bolly……..

Bizarre. Oaksoft starts the thread asking for help cause he doesn't know how to create a simple website and by page two he's calling others "thick as f**k". :rolleyes: