Scottish Parliament Election 5 May 2016

2becks

Scottish General Election 2015  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yep I thought as much.

You are part of the problem.

FWIW, because I know in amongst that blinkered arrogant pish you posted, that you didn't bother to ask why I know so much about education. I have the great pleasure of getting to see the quality of student your profession delivers to universities and I'm telling you it's not a pretty sight.

Your profession has spent years teaching these poor students how to pass exams.

Universities then have to re-teach them how to solve problems - which is what school was supposed to do.

It's the lack of ability to solve problems which caused this years problem. Exactly as happened 2 or 3 years ago.

It'll happen again and again and again until the teaching profession learns how to do its job properly.

This is not the fault of the student. It's entirely the fault of the teaching profession.

As I said, you are part of the problem.

Maybe if the teaching profession stopped hiring teachers with ordinary degrees (not even honours) candidates in place of PhD qualified graduates just because they happen to have graduated in subjects such as engineering you might see things improve. That would be in addition to teaching kids how to solve problems rather than just answer questions.

FWIW, I notice private schools don't see this sort of problem.

Why do you think that is?

You've actually proved you have no idea what is happening in education in schools by posting the arrogant, uninformed drivel that I've just quoted..

For the record;I knew you were involved in higher education. I could hardly fail to notice it, since you've boasted about it so often on here.

I'll make this easy for you.

When was the last time that you taught a class in a school,in order to get the pupils an SQA qualification?

Harrumph.....You are also part of the problem Oaksoft.

You're right, teachers set the kids up to pass exams rather than teaching them a subject. Then having passed their exams the kid goes to University where some lecturer who appears to work one half day every four weeks if he can't find a reason to cancel his lecture long after the kids would have had to have left home to come in, fills the students head full of shit that you are preparing them for working life.

Its only when the kid finally gets out of the education system and into working life that they truly start to learn and I know this cause time and time again I've had to pick up the pieces of all your failures.

You're also right about private schools. They do teach their kids better, they get better buy in from the kids in class, and the outcomes are much better pass rates and kids better educated. I'd suggest the reason for this is that they aren't state run. They are instead a trust or a business for whom reputation means everything in terms of their existence. And when you charge for an education instead of claiming that it's "free" the education process becomes far more valued.

You know I'm right - you've just stated it in your post - and yet when I say that we should change the education system so that schools and universities have to fight for our custom and where parents have to hand over cash for their childs teaching you mock the very idea.

The SNP are shite at running Scottish Education. The buck does stop with them and rightly so, but further down the ladder it's pricks like you who are very much part of the problem, especially when you've got no interest whatsoever in becoming the solution.

You haven't explained where I am part of this problem.

I don't recall telling you or anyone else I was a lecturer.

You haven't explained where I am part of this problem.

I don't recall telling you or anyone else I was a lecturer.

I didn't claim you were one either. I was referring to the fact that you were part of the problem through the fact that you know the problem, you know the solution yet you continue to argue against a system like the Swedish one where parents are given a voucher, or a universal credit - as per the one I detailed - to use to pay for their childs education in a private establishment of their choice.

To be honest I reckon you are the cleaner or the car park attendant. I would have said janitor but that's a skilled profession requiring ability. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Stuart Dickson

You're a bassa Cockles. smile.png Partially quoting his post - I had to go and see what he was being honest about.

You know, the post in which he makes out, in a round about way, that Oaky is a lecturer.

"some lecturer who appears to work one half day every four weeks if he can't find a reason to cancel his lecture long after the kids would have had to have left home to come in, fills the students head full of shit that you are preparing them for working life."

I just don't understand why they both thought I was a lecturer when I've clearly mentioned exactly what my job is many many times.

Maybe I should change my signature.

FTOF, in fairness has realised his mistake and has gracefully backed away. I'm not sure what Dickson is doing though. He seems to be talking about Sweden now. Is he on drugs? If so, which ones?

Talking of BBC programmes I see SNP MP John Nicholson didn't know Scotland were playing Qatar never mind answer where the match was being played. He also called Sepp Blatter - Sepp Platter - on Question Time last night. Not the worst gaff in the world unless you are Sports Spokesman for the SNP.

Talking of BBC programmes I see SNP MP John Nicholson didn't know Scotland were playing Qatar never mind answer where the match was being played. He also called Sepp Blatter - Sepp Platter - on Question Time last night. Not the worst gaff in the world unless you are Sports Spokesman for the SNP.

You're making me feel hungry wink.png

• 8 years later...

Hi all,

Discussing BBC programs, it appears SNP MP John Nicholson wasn't aware of Scotland playing against Qatar, let alone the match's location. During Question Time, he also referred to Sepp Blatter as Sepp Platter. While not the gravest mistake, it raises eyebrows when coming from the Sports Spokesman for the SNP, adding a touch of irony to the situation.