Scottish Parliament Election 5 May 2016

2becks

Scottish General Election 2015  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While I don't side with the conspiracy theorists, given that the referundum allowed sixteen and seveteen year olds to vote and it was based on the cooncil election eligibility criteria, I don't know how you can use that as some kind of absolute proof.

Thats why i said "close to".

So that'll be over half a million more votes than Thatcher's Tory party got in Scotland in 1979, then? And with a lower turnout (in number of votes, not %), too. In fact, I believe that it is the most votes gained by any party in a General Election in Scotland, ever.

ETA: Can someone tell me how to block numbnuts on my phone?

Throw away the mobile phone.

It's a tool of the devil.

I hope this helps? :)

I found out yesterday that Scottish Education has come under heavy fire with Sturgeon having to apologise for the SNPs record - and that was the day of the Maths Higher shambles. It's time Scotland booted these changers out of office before they do real irreversible damage

Maths Higher shambles? What shambles? Exactly what has happened?

A few kids crying because they didn't study hard enough?

FFS. lol.gif

A couple of years ago there was the same uproar about the Maths Higher. Kids in tears. Disaster, plague and pestilence. Careers ended etc.

Turned out the bell curve needed adjusting downwards by a single percentage point to get exactly the same number of A's and B's as normal.

My own son came a cropper. He freely admitted he hadn't studied hard enough and re-took the exam.

I thought you'd have applauded that attitude.

If you are having to blame the government for exam results you really need to accept that MAYBE you are just shit or lazy at that subject.

Grow a pair and move on.

Edited by oaksoft

Maths Higher shambles? What shambles? Exactly what has happened?

A few kids crying because they didn't study hard enough?

FFS. lol.gif

Sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about on this matter.

It was not a "few" pupils and it was certainly not down to lack of revision.

Sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about on this matter.

It was not a "few" pupils and it was certainly not down to lack of revision.

Unless you work with the body which set that exam paper then neither do you.

If it transpires that a massive downwards grading of the papers will be required to fix this then I'll eat my hat.

You reckon a body with many years of experience has f**ked up two entire sets of Maths exams - the new and old Higher - at exactly the same time?

The probability of this is almost too small to be credible.

I'll say it again - I'll be prepared to bet that any modification of results will turn out to be insignificant.

Unless you work with the body which set that exam paper then neither do you.

If it transpires that a massive downwards grading of the papers will be required to fix this then I'll eat my hat.

You reckon a body with many years of experience has f**ked up two entire sets of Maths exams - the new and old Higher - at exactly the same time?

The probability of this is almost too small to be credible.

I'll say it again - I'll be prepared to bet that any modification of results will turn out to be insignificant.

Again, you have no idea.

You have no idea what has been going on in the SQA over the past few years, or how exam papers are set. Sadly, I do.

As for the maths paper; both sets of exam papers had some shared questions, so those sitting the new higher had to answer some of the same questions as those who were sitting the old higher. It's just one of many ways that they save money at the expense of pupil attainment.

Grade boundaries will be altered accordingly; there have been pass marks well below 50% for certain exams in the past.

I know it's hard for you to accept that I know more than you about this, but stop now and you'll avoid digging yourself an even bigger hole.

You really are having a c**t of a time on this website and are fast approaching fat boy's level of pig headed, misplaced self importance.

Guest TPAFKATS

Off topic but for years folk and papers complained that exams were too easy.

This year history and maths have apparently been too hard.

Not sure what this has to do with sturgeon...

Off topic but for years folk and papers complained that exams were too easy.

This year history and maths have apparently been too hard.

Not sure what this has to do with sturgeon...

There's an official complaint in relation to the Graphic Communication Higher, which contained several questions that related to knowledge not in the curriculum.

The old Higher Biology had a multi-choice question with no correct answer and the new Higher Biology was packed with far more data handling than should have been in it.

The SQA is in chaos. These latest events are just the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by FTOF

Again, you have no idea.

You have no idea what has been going on in the SQA over the past few years, or how exam papers are set. Sadly, I do.

As for the maths paper; both sets of exam papers had some shared questions, so those sitting the new higher had to answer some of the same questions as those who were sitting the old higher. It's just one of many ways that they save money at the expense of pupil attainment.

Grade boundaries will be altered accordingly; there have been pass marks well below 50% for certain exams in the past.

I know it's hard for you to accept that I know more than you about this, but stop now and you'll avoid digging yourself an even bigger hole.

You really are having a c**t of a time on this website and are fast approaching fat boy's level of pig headed, misplaced self importance.

I'll make this really easy.

Are you a teacher or do you work for the SQA setting exam papers?

I'll make this really easy.

Are you a teacher or do you work for the SQA setting exam papers?

Your question is totally irelevant and shows just how little you know about the matter in hand. However, to burst your ballon again, I'll answer it.

I am the former, but I have contributed in the past and one of my colleagues currently is still involved, in setting exams. You can do both you know; or most likely you didn't know.

Anyway,why do you think that you have to set exams to know when it's a car crash of an exam paper?

Now run along before you make yourself look even more stupid, by pursuing a subject you clearly know absolutely nothing about, but think you do because you're an arrogant tosser.smile.png

Edited by FTOF

Your question is totally irelevant and shows just how little you know about the matter in hand. However, to burst your ballon again, I'll answer it.

I am the former, but I have contributed in the past and one of my colleagues currently is still involved, in setting exams. You can do both you know; or most likely you didn't know.

Anyway,why do you think that you have to set exams to know when it's a car crash of an exam paper?

Now run along before you make yourself look even more stupid, by pursuing a subject you clearly know absolutely nothing about, but think you do because you're an arrogant tosser.smile.png

A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Bertrand Russell

Very apt.

Just saying

Edited by stlucifer

Yep I thought as much.

You are part of the problem.

FWIW, because I know in amongst that blinkered arrogant pish you posted, that you didn't bother to ask why I know so much about education. I have the great pleasure of getting to see the quality of student your profession delivers to universities and I'm telling you it's not a pretty sight.

Your profession has spent years teaching these poor students how to pass exams.

Universities then have to re-teach them how to solve problems - which is what school was supposed to do.

It's the lack of ability to solve problems which caused this years problem. Exactly as happened 2 or 3 years ago.

It'll happen again and again and again until the teaching profession learns how to do its job properly.

This is not the fault of the student. It's entirely the fault of the teaching profession.

As I said, you are part of the problem.

Maybe if the teaching profession stopped hiring teachers with ordinary degrees (not even honours) candidates in place of PhD qualified graduates just because they happen to have graduated in subjects such as engineering you might see things improve. That would be in addition to teaching kids how to solve problems rather than just answer questions.

FWIW, I notice private schools don't see this sort of problem.

Why do you think that is?

Edited by oaksoft

Yep I thought as much.

FWIW, because I know in amongst that blinkered arrogant pish you posted, that you didn't bother to ask why I know so much about education. I have the great pleasure of getting to see the quality of student your profession delivers to universities and I'm telling you it's not a pretty sight.

Universities then have to re-teach them how to solve problems - which is what school was supposed to do.

It's the lack of ability to solve problems which caused this years problem. Exactly as happened 2 or 3 years ago.

It'll happen again and again and again until the teaching profession learns how to do its job properly.

This is not the fault of the student. It's entirely the fault of the teaching profession.

Maybe if the teaching profession stopped hiring teachers with ordinary degrees (not even honours) candidates in place of PhD qualified graduates just because they happen to have graduated in subjects such as engineering you might see things improve. That would be in addition to teaching kids how to solve problems rather than just answer questions.

Harrumph.....You are also part of the problem Oaksoft.

You're right, teachers set the kids up to pass exams rather than teaching them a subject. Then having passed their exams the kid goes to University where some lecturer who appears to work one half day every four weeks if he can't find a reason to cancel his lecture long after the kids would have had to have left home to come in, fills the students head full of shit that you are preparing them for working life.

Its only when the kid finally gets out of the education system and into working life that they truly start to learn and I know this cause time and time again I've had to pick up the pieces of all your failures.

You're also right about private schools. They do teach their kids better, they get better buy in from the kids in class, and the outcomes are much better pass rates and kids better educated. I'd suggest the reason for this is that they aren't state run. They are instead a trust or a business for whom reputation means everything in terms of their existence. And when you charge for an education instead of claiming that it's "free" the education process becomes far more valued.

You know I'm right - you've just stated it in your post - and yet when I say that we should change the education system so that schools and universities have to fight for our custom and where parents have to hand over cash for their childs teaching you mock the very idea.

The SNP are shite at running Scottish Education. The buck does stop with them and rightly so, but further down the ladder it's pricks like you who are very much part of the problem, especially when you've got no interest whatsoever in becoming the solution.

Yep I thought as much.

I had a feeling that you were a clueless, lazy arsed lecturer!

:lol:

Yep I thought as much.

Wonderful places universities! They can re-teach students things that you claim they have not been taught before.

Having your cake and eating it must be great.