The Fall Of Labour

Bud the Baker

You said they represent the potential electorate, they don't. Far more of the Scottish 'potential electorate' (your term not mine) didn't vote for them than did. Do you think non voters are irrelevant and pathetic? Is a non voter not part of the 'potential electorate'? If not, why not? How do you become part of this potential electorate you speak of?

I provided source for my statement about the economy. In 2014 Great Britain's economy grew more than the rest of the G7 countries, Germany and USA included. If that's not going from strength to strength, what is?

The Conservatives succeeded in the last parliament and have been given a clear electoral mandate by the British people to continue their good work on the economy. The loony left is in tatters and the Labour Party needs to abandon them if it ever wants to become relevant again.

Indeed even in Scotland in May as Labour's vote plummeted, the Tory vote increased by over 20,000 from 2010.

By potential electorate I meant the people who voted in Scotland where the SNP got 50% of the votes cast, not the UK as a whole - hope that clears things up.

Claiming one year's figure is going from strength to strength is a barefaced lie!.

The government in the last parliament was a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition - if the Conservatives (or the ridiculous right as I may start calling them) succeded in anything it was to shaft the Lib Dems by making them renege on tuition fees, a manifesto pledge .

Finally as Disraeli said there'e lies, damn lies and statistics - % Turnout in Scotland was much higher in 2015 as compared to 2010 the Conservatives share of the vote decreased, as I'm sure you're aware.

By potential electorate I meant the people who voted in Scotland where the SNP got 50% of the votes cast, not the UK as a whole - hope that clears things up.

Claiming one year's figure is going from strength to strength is a barefaced lie!.

The government in the last parliament was a Conservative/Lib Dem coalition - if the Conservatives (or the ridiculous right as I may start calling them) succeded in anything it was to shaft the Lib Dems by making them renege on tuition fees, a manifesto pledge .

Finally as Disraeli said there'e lies, damn lies and statistics - % Turnout in Scotland was much higher in 2015 as compared to 2010 the Conservatives share of the vote decreased, as I'm sure you're aware.

So your point is you're only part of the potential electorate if you voted in May?

:lol:

What about those who voted in the referendum but never voted in May? Not part of the potential electorate or...?

So the most recent years - the final year of the Tory led government - figures which shows Britain outperforming the other major economies is a lie? Would you rather we weren't? What figures would you like to use?

So your point is you're only part of the potential electorate if you voted in May?

lol.gif:

What about those who voted in the referendum but never voted in May? Not part of the potential electorate or...?

So the most recent years - the final year of the Tory led government - figures which shows Britain outperforming the other major economies is a lie? Would you rather we weren't? What figures would you like to use?

In this case yes, I've already explained what I meant by the SNP's potential electorate - the people of Scotland who voted in May and no amount of bluster and deflection can alter the fact that 50% of the votes cast were for the SNP.

Aaaah, a Tory led government, nice to see you correcting one of the inaccuracies in your previous post. The lie is your claim that one years figures can be described as going from strength to strength.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Let me get this straight.

The electorate were so disgusted with Labour trying to be more Tory than the Tories and wanted them to move more to the left so they... er, voted in the actual Tories?

I believe this discussion is based upon the BBC Scotland tv programme aired last night that looked specifically at the fall of Labour in Scotland... lol.gif

Edited by FS

In this case yes, I've already explained what I meant by the SNP's potential electorate - the people of Scotland who voted in May and no amount of bluster and deflection can alter the fact that 50% of the votes cast were for the SNP.

Aaaah, a Tory led government, nice to see you correcting one of the inaccuracies in your previous post. The lie is your claim that one years figures can be described as going from strength to strength.

So, why are the people who aren't voted part of the potential electorate?

lol.gif:

The word you seek is irrelevant. Those who didn't vote are utterly irrelevant in terms of their views.

So, why are the people who aren't voted part of the potential electorate?

I've explained what I meant and removed any ambiguity, but for you I'll repeat it - by potential electorate I meant the people who voted in Scotland, as opposed to the UK, and the SNP got 50% of the votes cast in Scotland.

Keep up the effort though!

I've explained what I meant and removed any ambiguity, but for you I'll repeat it - by potential electorate I meant the people who voted in Scotland, as opposed to the UK, and the SNP got 50% of the votes cast in Scotland.

So not the potential electorate then.

50% of votes cast is not 50% of the potential electorate.

Pretty basic stuff really.

I watched Japan, earth's enchanted islands instead. It was uplifting in its depiction of the wonder and beauty of nature. Nothing like Jackie bird interviewing a bunch of Slab (ex) politicians, especially the ermine clad bunch who claim to be opposed to the chamber. I see Darling has just accepted his invitation to HoL

Who could have predicted this unlikely event?dry.png

It would be more accurate to say they need votes from London, which they have done in the past. The have never really got seats in the rest of the south east and never will. But the rest of the post is correct.

You're kinda unkind to my beloved city....

It's generally (it was this last election) a majority of left wing/labour MPs that London returns except in ultra rich constituencies like Kensington and Chelsea.... or Chingford.

He's not the brightest spark, but the rest of us seem understand you quite clearly.

Also, aren't we lucky that we're in such a strong economic position in the UK?dry.png

Maybe we are if you're such a simpleton that you can't see past the GDP figure as means to gauge economic success.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/election-2015-how-has-british-economy-fared-over-last-parliament-1499984

Edited by FTOF

Well done.

You've understood perfectly.

In exactly the same way as - in the last election in Scotland - people have voted not for Labour, but for the allegedly left-wing party... and got Cameron again.

If Labour had been in touch with what the mass of people want, then it would have been re-elected.

Nonsense.

Even if Labour had retained their seats in Scotland they wouldn't have won the election. The Tories played a blinder as far as the Lib-Dems were concerned to the extent of allowing, in fact, encouraging the perception that they were to blame for all the ills and stealing a march in the Lib-Dem's heartlands. The South west of England turned almost completely blue.

Nonsense.

Even if Labour had retained their seats in Scotland they wouldn't have won the election. The Tories played a blinder as far as the Lib-Dems were concerned to the extent of allowing, in fact, encouraging the perception that they were to blame for all the ills and stealing a march in the Lib-Dem's heartlands. The South west of England turned almost completely blue.

You really don't believe that if Labour had been more true to themselves, and not just a mealy-mouthed reflection of the Tories that the electorate, in general, might have given them more credence.

The electorate would have chosen an alternative rather than just vote for more pain... Or not all.

I had great difficulty in deciding upon whom to waste my vote. It wasn't going to be either of the three 'top' parties.... :(

(I recognise that my post sloppily focussed on the Scotland situation, to make a point, above .)

So not the potential electorate then.

50% of votes cast is not 50% of the potential electorate.

Are voters in England where the SNP did not field candidates to be counted?

I've explained what I meant by the phrase - if you continue to deliberately minisnterpret this that's your choice and there's nothing I can do.

Are voters in England where the SNP did not field candidates to be counted?

I've explained what I meant by the phrase - if you continue to deliberately minisnterpret this that's your choice and there's nothing I can do.

Who's talking about England? I haven't mentioned England once.

You said that only the SNP can claim to represent 50% of it's potential electorate. The SNP's potential electorate is everyone of voting age in Scotland. Do you disagree with that statement? What bit in particular? More people voted Yes in the referendum in September than voted SNP in May. Are those missing voters not part of the SNP's 'potential electorate'? I bet you the SNP would disagree with you on that.

They can't claim to represent 50% of their potential electorate as 50% of their potential electorate didn't vote for them, not even close to 50% infact.

Such a basic concept that I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with.

Who's talking about England? I haven't mentioned England once.

You said that only the SNP can claim to represent 50% of it's potential electorate. The SNP's potential electorate is everyone of voting age in Scotland. Do you disagree with that statement? What bit in particular? More people voted Yes in the referendum in September than voted SNP in May. Are those missing voters not part of the SNP's 'potential electorate'? I bet you the SNP would disagree with you on that.

They can't claim to represent 50% of their potential electorate as 50% of their potential electorate didn't vote for them, not even close to 50% infact.

Such a basic concept that I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with it.

Completely irrelevant because it's a misrepresentation of what I said.

I've explained what I meant and cleared any ambiguity but if you wish to persist with your foolishness it's your prerogative.

Such a basic concept that I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with it - actually given that your own claims were so Bahokenesque I'm not surprised at your continued attempts to deflect attention from them.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Well done.

You've understood perfectly.

In exactly the same way as - in the last election in Scotland - people have voted not for Labour, but for the allegedly left-wing party... and got Cameron again.

If Labour had been in touch with what the mass of people want, then it would have been re-elected.

You are so deluded

The SNP took 94% of the seats in Scotland . I don't know of any party in this country, this lifetime , ever gaining such a large percentage of seats . I suppose that is what seriously annoys , some people. .

The SNP took 94% of the seats in Scotland. I don't know of any party in this country, this lifetime , ever gaining such a large percentage of seats . Yet we have a Conservative government. I suppose that is what seriously annoys , some people. .