Gilmour Rants At Players Condition

The Herald is giving some really good coverage of St Mirren. A good article today on Frank Nutall. Highly qualified fitness coach who spent a while with us before getting his coaching badges, degree etc then went to Kenya and coached a top team to league and cup success. Seems to be on our radar. Might be an interesting appointment as Head Coach alongside a new Manager. At the very least he might be able to get 90 minutes effort out of the team.

The Herald is giving some really good coverage of St Mirren. A good article today on Frank Nutall. Highly qualified fitness coach who spent a while with us before getting his coaching badges, degree etc then went to Kenya and coached a top team to league and cup success. Seems to be on our radar. Might be an interesting appointment as Head Coach alongside a new Manager. At the very least he might be able to get 90 minutes effort out of the team.

Copy and paste by any chance? :)

Copy and paste by any chance? :)

Herald Scotland

Former fitness coach Nuttall thriving in Kenya after finally becoming his own man

Frank Nuttall, pictured during a stint as fitness coach at St Mirren, has just been named Kenyan manager of the year

Frank Nuttall (second left) during his days as Rangers' fitness coach

Graeme Macpherson / Wednesday 16 December 2015 / Sport

Published Wednesday 16 December 2015 / Sport

THERE is a football book in Frank Nuttall and it would have a decidedly international flavour to it. The latest – but not, he hopes, the last – chapter would be on his experiences in Kenya over the past year and a quarter. He would not stint for material. It is a tale of personal evolution in the most testing of surrounds. Happily, it is also a story of success.

Nuttall was, by his own admission, a limited player who became a very good fitness coach. He was part of Alex McLeish’s backroom team when Rangers won the league in the most dramatic fashion in 2005. He worked with an England under-17 side featuring names like Ross Barkley, Jack Butland, and Saido Berahino who conquered Spain and France on their way to becoming European champions. He has also found himself at various points working in places as diverse as the United Arab Emirates, North Korea, Palestine, China and Qatar. There is an honesty that such moves were often motivated by the need to earn, as much as by indulging his sense of wanderlust.

“Partly it was through choice. But sometimes it was just about going where the work was and keeping an open mind about things.”

Nuttall, however, did not want to be seen as the fitness guy forever. With a UEFA Pro coaching license to go with his Masters in Sports Science, the 47 year-old was ready to become his own man. It would again involve him leaving his family to seek employment, this time as Bobby Williamson’s successor at Gor Mahia FC in Kenya. That was 15 months ago. Now Nuttall can look back on his first full year as a professional head coach with a degree of pride having led his new charges to the Kenyan Premier League – without losing a game – two domestic cups, and a runners-up spot in the East African Championships. Last week he was crowned Kenya’s Manager of the Year. His route to management success has been a long and winding one, in both the literal and metaphorical sense.

Life in Nairobi can be difficult, however. Not for Nuttall who reveals he has been well-looked after in a city where grateful fans shout out “Hey, Coach!” as he walks down the street. It is his multinational group of players who have had to endure hardship and financial uncertainty at a club that, while considered the biggest in Kenya, does not have a sponsor and often struggles financially. It is a situation that has called upon his man-management and motivational skills as much as any of his technical talents.

“There have been a lot of challenges there, especially on the financial side of things,” Nuttall told Herald Sport. “That’s been a daily and ongoing problem. The players really need their money. Many have extended families that they are obliged to support, both in Nairobi and in the rural areas too, and they earn what we would consider low levels of income. So there is a big pressure on them to provide with what they can. It has been a challenge keeping them focussed, motivated and training at the sort of levels we want from them. But overcoming those problems and achieving what we have done this year has been very satisfying. I’ve enjoyed the job immensely so far, even the difficult parts.”

For Nuttall, a first visit to Africa has further broadened his horizons. “Any time you go outside your comfort zone then every day brings new experiences and adjustments you need to make,” he added, crediting Williamson – now manager of the Kenyan national team – for his help in the early days. “But if you’ve got a range of communication skills and you’re resilient then you learn to cope quicker in a new environment.”

Not every member of the chorus line wants to become a soloist but it was always an ambition of Nuttall – who spent two years at Celtic as a player – to move into frontline management. It has taken longer than he would have liked to reach this stage but now hopes to make the most of his opportunity. He is among the names being mentioned in relation to the vacancy at St Mirren and has a variety of attributes likely to prove attractive to other clubs of similar standing.

“I’ve felt for a number of years I could do the job of head coach,” he added. “The experiences I’ve gained in a number of different roles over the years have helped me take this job on and be successful at it. My intention was never to remain as a fitness coach but it was a way initially to get back into full-time football. When you’re in the system then it gives you a better chance to look for other opportunities. It’s taken a while but I want to make the most of it now. I’m ambitious as a coach and want to test myself at the highest levels if I can.

Herald Scotland

Former fitness coach Nuttall thriving in Kenya after finally becoming his own man

Frank Nuttall, pictured during a stint as fitness coach at St Mirren, has just been named Kenyan manager of the year

Frank Nuttall (second left) during his days as Rangers' fitness coach

Graeme Macpherson / Wednesday 16 December 2015 / Sport

Published Wednesday 16 December 2015 / Sport

THERE is a football book in Frank Nuttall and it would have a decidedly international flavour to it. The latest but not, he hopes, the last chapter would be on his experiences in Kenya over the past year and a quarter. He would not stint for material. It is a tale of personal evolution in the most testing of surrounds. Happily, it is also a story of success.

Nuttall was, by his own admission, a limited player who became a very good fitness coach. He was part of Alex McLeishs backroom team when Rangers won the league in the most dramatic fashion in 2005. He worked with an England under-17 side featuring names like Ross Barkley, Jack Butland, and Saido Berahino who conquered Spain and France on their way to becoming European champions. He has also found himself at various points working in places as diverse as the United Arab Emirates, North Korea, Palestine, China and Qatar. There is an honesty that such moves were often motivated by the need to earn, as much as by indulging his sense of wanderlust.

Partly it was through choice. But sometimes it was just about going where the work was and keeping an open mind about things.

Nuttall, however, did not want to be seen as the fitness guy forever. With a UEFA Pro coaching license to go with his Masters in Sports Science, the 47 year-old was ready to become his own man. It would again involve him leaving his family to seek employment, this time as Bobby Williamsons successor at Gor Mahia FC in Kenya. That was 15 months ago. Now Nuttall can look back on his first full year as a professional head coach with a degree of pride having led his new charges to the Kenyan Premier League without losing a game two domestic cups, and a runners-up spot in the East African Championships. Last week he was crowned Kenyas Manager of the Year. His route to management success has been a long and winding one, in both the literal and metaphorical sense.

Life in Nairobi can be difficult, however. Not for Nuttall who reveals he has been well-looked after in a city where grateful fans shout out Hey, Coach! as he walks down the street. It is his multinational group of players who have had to endure hardship and financial uncertainty at a club that, while considered the biggest in Kenya, does not have a sponsor and often struggles financially. It is a situation that has called upon his man-management and motivational skills as much as any of his technical talents.

There have been a lot of challenges there, especially on the financial side of things, Nuttall told Herald Sport. Thats been a daily and ongoing problem. The players really need their money. Many have extended families that they are obliged to support, both in Nairobi and in the rural areas too, and they earn what we would consider low levels of income. So there is a big pressure on them to provide with what they can. It has been a challenge keeping them focussed, motivated and training at the sort of levels we want from them. But overcoming those problems and achieving what we have done this year has been very satisfying. Ive enjoyed the job immensely so far, even the difficult parts.

For Nuttall, a first visit to Africa has further broadened his horizons. Any time you go outside your comfort zone then every day brings new experiences and adjustments you need to make, he added, crediting Williamson now manager of the Kenyan national team for his help in the early days. But if youve got a range of communication skills and youre resilient then you learn to cope quicker in a new environment.

Not every member of the chorus line wants to become a soloist but it was always an ambition of Nuttall who spent two years at Celtic as a player to move into frontline management. It has taken longer than he would have liked to reach this stage but now hopes to make the most of his opportunity. He is among the names being mentioned in relation to the vacancy at St Mirren and has a variety of attributes likely to prove attractive to other clubs of similar standing.

Ive felt for a number of years I could do the job of head coach, he added. The experiences Ive gained in a number of different roles over the years have helped me take this job on and be successful at it. My intention was never to remain as a fitness coach but it was a way initially to get back into full-time football. When youre in the system then it gives you a better chance to look for other opportunities. Its taken a while but I want to make the most of it now. Im ambitious as a coach and want to test myself at the highest levels if I can.

I've just read the article in the Herald and to my horror spotted he was running along with Ian Murray while taking training with the Rangers team.