Gilmour Rants At Players Condition

General malaise dating back to the first game of the season? In my book the malaise can be traced back to a precise moment in time. The time when a week's post-League Cup winning boozing seemed to have been sanctioned from the management, and the whole fcuking lot of them appeared to have sat back and said 'we're cup winners now' and downed tools. Following this, the whole clearly unravelling situation was compounded by a series of poor managerial appontments, poor transfer windows, genuine talent leaving and being replaced with shite, all overseen by a want-away board who still haven't had any noticeable voices of dissention raised in their direction, because their teflon-coated status is not, cannot, and will not be questioned.

Want to know when St Mirren started down the road of fcuking themselves up from within? Simply picture the Bull Inn and a pint tumbler in your head.

I absolutely agree with that. Looking back it was ridiculous. The international break gave some leeway for slightly extended celebrations but they took it way too far,

And, for by, I always thought the crazy celebrations following the Raith Rovers promotion winning game in 99/2000 caused the 5-0 thumping in Inverness the following week and although that didn't matter in itself the feel good seemed to be gone and poor form extended in to the following season...first game a narrow defeat to Kilmarnock I think, and that early season poor form cost us relegation in the end.

Not that I am any clean living T Total sober suits,not by any means!

Surely it can be traced back further to when some bright spark doctored the swally at a big wedding do in Cana..?

FFS!

Yes, ultimately the Board are the issue. However it is an eternal circle................... no-one want to buy their shares so we are stuck with what we have and they won't gamble or invest with a hope of getting a higher return.

I've said it before and will repeat it, either take the shares off the market and commit to a stable period of commitment and show leadership from the top, or sell up and accept the loss, but commit to a decision.

Almost all organisations that have weak leadership eventually stumble and fall.thumbdown.gif

Yes, ultimately the Board are the issue. However it is an eternal circle................... no-one want to buy their shares so we are stuck with what we have and they won't gamble or invest with a hope of getting a higher return.

I've said it before and will repeat it, either take the shares off the market and commit to a stable period of commitment and show leadership from the top, or sell up and accept the loss, but commit to a decision.

Almost all organisations that have weak leadership eventually stumble and fall.thumbdown.gif

Holding out in some forlorn hope that they will get 'their money back' is delusional.

It is fanciful at best to believe that the current lowly status of the club and general financial climate in the Scottish game would support such a position.

Did anyone guffaw loudly when this was mentioned during the AGM?

Edited by Drew

Don't know about the wedding reception, but we've hardly kicked a ba' since winning the League Cup.

Dont think anyone would disagree, but c'mon it wisnae down to a few extended celebrations.

Certain players, most of whom have since departed took it easy for the rest of that season, we lost our loanees who were much better quality than now, the board cut the budget again, so we start shopping round for ArCant's, Boaking, Marwood, Ball and Caprice's,

The board bag Danny, cut the budget again.... Ditto

The board bag TC, cut the budget again.... Ditto

The board bag Tealzo, cut the budget again.... Ditto

The board accept Meltdown's resignation as he just manages to say " I res...." !

What do you think may happen next..?

Personally, and this is sheer conjecture based on my own experiences, I do not think the BoD would be difficult to deal with if any half decent offer came in. The problem is no offers are forthcoming. The BoDs problems are compounded in that they are fans so look beyond any initial outlay - will the Club be secure and run properly?

There are two people close to me who simply cannot sell some property at the moment. They have been reducing their asking price over the last three years until both aree willing to accept less than what they paid 10 years ago. Still no takers. They would take anything reasonable as the property is now a millstone but they are not going to just give it away. I would think the BoD are in a similar position.

Dont think anyone would disagree, but c'mon it wisnae down to a few extended celebrations.

Certain players, most of whom have since departed took it easy for the rest of that season, we lost our loanees who were much better quality than now, the board cut the budget again, so we start shopping round for ArCant's, Boaking, Marwood, Ball and Caprice's,

The board bag Danny, cut the budget again.... Ditto

The board bag TC, cut the budget again.... Ditto

The board bag Tealzo, cut the budget again.... Ditto

The board accept Meltdown's resignation as he just manages to say " I res...." !

What do you think may happen next..?

Not suggesting it was merely down to the beers sunk following the League Cup win. I responded to a post which suggested a malaise set in first game of the season. Simply offered my own opinion that any malaise can be traced back a bit before that. The post-cup win booze week seemed to kick start a chain of backward steps, rather than something positive... I.E. We just won a major trophy by totally out-playing and out-thinking Celtic in the semi, and coming back from one down to beat Hearts... Let's build upon this in a way we never did back in 1987.

Instead, from the top down, we seemingly chose to disappear up our own arses while the likes of St Johnstone, ICT, Accies, Dundee and Partick now look like stable, well-run, and far more professional outfits than a once-more managerless St Mirren now genuinely eyeing the third tier of Scottish football.

But hey, our stadium is neat and Ralston is an academy of football. So, what's the problem... apart from me needing to 'get over myself' of course. FFS indeed.

Too many "Mr Nice Guy" appointments by our BoD.

A strict disciplinarian is required to knock the lazy buggers into shape.

Terry Butcher fits the bill. After disastrous spells in charge at Hibs and Newport County I reckon Butcher would jump at the chance to redeem the good reputation he earned in charge of ICT. To seal that opportunity he might be willing to take the job at the level of wages St Mirren would be prepared to pay.

Anybody know a supplier of reinforced dressing room doors ?

Too many "Mr Nice Guy" appointments by our BoD.

A strict disciplinarian is required to knock the lazy buggers into shape.

Terry Butcher fits the bill. After disastrous spells in charge at Hibs and Newport County I reckon Butcher would jump at the chance to redeem the good reputation he earned in charge of ICT. To seal that opportunity he might be willing to take the job at the level of wages St Mirren would be prepared to pay.

Anybody know a supplier of reinforced dressing room doors ?

Terry can't make it!

But will his 'Brother' Pat do instead...?

Looks to me like the chairman is gearing up for the classic cliche seen at club's across the land when they get a new manager. Within weeks all the fans remark about how much fitter the players look, even if they've been on a diet of egg and chips for the past fortnight.

It would be interesting to know how the average Scottish footballer's diet compares to the stuff in the Secret Footballer book I read recently, which seemed to be taking things to the other extreme.

The board cut the budget to meet the anticipated income. Every club in Scotland, with one exception, has cut their budget every season for years. Players wages are forced up by the agent system therefore the player pool drops in numbers but the running costs remain roughly the same. The board have consistently said that they will never go into debt on their watch. So what is your answer LP.

The board cut the budget to meet the anticipated income. Every club in Scotland, with one exception, has cut their budget every season for years. Players wages are forced up by the agent system therefore the player pool drops in numbers but the running costs remain roughly the same. The board have consistently said that they will never go into debt on their watch. So what is your answer LP.

Many people just like to criticise the BOD for the sake of it.

The reality is they have been good for the club and save from a lottery winner or millionaire coming in from nowhere and investing, them staying in charge is okay. We won't be going into debt, which is the main thing. It's certainly far better than some of the alternatives.

There is merit in questioning what qualifies a BoD to select a coach / manager of a professional football team when none of them have a background in that profession. Difficult to know what to look for in an individual when you know hee haw about it yourself, Basically SG & Co are no more qualified to select a manager that we are. It's basically their money so it's their choice however it seems to work the same way at every Scottish club.

When the BOD interview a manager, like any job interview, the candidate has a past record or a CV that backs up the claims, this should not be the Apprentice . Danny had a CV with back to back promotions, TC had a CV that showed a car crash in Belgium, GT has a CV as a player but was just given gig to save money, this is the one that Fks me off most, cause if we had appointed a half decent manager we would still be in SPL!!, and IM had a CV that showed a struggling part time team, shipping goals and surviving . You get what you pay for in this world, so if yet again , Gilmour goes down the lottery line then he is admitting its a guess and not based on actual proven records and facts, why, cause that costs more than 40-50k a year. Unless you are totally stupid, you can see that our players are not trained, apart from the javelin, we rattle on about a ground and a training facility, that must be unused, we cut cut cut, and then wonder why we have crap players, no management, unfit and only Scottish Ladies have managed a home victory. We go for the City of Culture when we are a town??

So if we get a Barry, an Alex, or some other well connected guy who has done heehaw since they stopped playing we will once again be failing.

We need a strong experienced manager, someone like Jim Duffy, some on like Dick Campbell or JJ even (cannae stand him) Someone who has a short term , medium term plan, not a fricking vision, that Saints are a top team and should be in SPL top 6, la la la. Sir Alex, Jim McLean, Jock Stein and 25 new players yes we could come second or even win the SPL, but that's as close to reality than a nobody getting us somewhere.

BOD your share price will be worth FA in League One- So get help or listen to advice

Personally, and this is sheer conjecture based on my own experiences, I do not think the BoD would be difficult to deal with if any half decent offer came in. The problem is no offers are forthcoming. The BoDs problems are compounded in that they are fans so look beyond any initial outlay - will the Club be secure and run properly?

There are two people close to me who simply cannot sell some property at the moment. They have been reducing their asking price over the last three years until both aree willing to accept less than what they paid 10 years ago. Still no takers. They would take anything reasonable as the property is now a millstone but they are not going to just give it away. I would think the BoD are in a similar position.

Gordon Scott made several offers back in the day.

Obviously I cannot comment on the detail, or why they were knocked back (though my understanding is that the offers didn't meet the consortium expectations), but I wonder if, with hindsight, the latter just might have been inclined to accept one of said offers.

If it's true, has he only noticed since last weekend? Has he been watching for the last six months? There;s been a suspicion that some of our mainly senior players downed tools the minute Murray was appointed which might have had something to do with his crass comments to the press about getting the players in on Sundays before he had told the players. If there's any truth in it, and maybe it's a big if, it's not hard to believe that possibly some didn't work too hard at training either. There seems to have been a general malaise about the club dating back to the first game of the season. I genuinely believe that we need a couple of new players but we have the nucleus of a team there and we should be close to a top four spot even now.

Yeah I'm wondering that as well.

If there's ANY truth in this whatsoever, the player or players concerned should be put on home leave immediately if possible.

Keep cutting..?

It seems to be effective.... Isn't it?

Keep cutting..?

It seems to be effective.... Isn't it?

The reality is this board have created most of the needs to cut the budget, firstly by forming a consortium and shutting out any investment/ideas from nearly half the shareholders.

Secondly by pulling back and leaving the club to drift, seeing only lazy options like re-branding the stadium as wee shellic park to increase income streams.

The board have effectively locked out any investment by trying to secure a price for their shares that no one is willing to pay. They have caused this steep decline, and every decision they take seems to plunge the club deeper and deeper towards the abyss.

Of course they can sell their shares.

Of course they can get whatever they can for them, they bought them.

But in the ensuing years the club has suffered measurably by their actions, and still without a clue as to when the club might bottom out!

Thats the cause, and continued prognosis of this 'Malaise' that has taken hold of every aspect of the club. Not a some player piss-up in 2013.

What Lords of The Rings will help lift this disease?

Edited by Lord Pityme

Gordon Scott made several offers back in the day.

Obviously I cannot comment on the detail, or why they were knocked back (though my understanding is that the offers didn't meet the consortium expectations), but I wonder if, with hindsight, the latter just might have been inclined to accept one of said offers.

Fair point Drew. I suppose it was all about how much was offered. Maybe there is still a chance of revisiting an offer.

I recently was trying to sell my camper van. Some guy offered me half of what I wanted. Although I was willing to drop a bit 50% was taking the piss. Maybe the BoD feel the same. Who knows?

I think anyone who understands the complex issues around fitness, especially at professional level, knows that quantity and quality are rarely the same thing. (For clarity, I do understand that you're not saying this, and are just passing on what Gilmour is saying here).

I know they've said the Sunday sessions are based on science and the art of proper recovery, but it doesn't appear to be working.

It's interesting to hear that fitness could be at the heart of the problems. If you're taking to the pitch and don't feel ready, or if you know your legs will be gone after 60 minutes, then your head will be gone from the very first whistle. Imagine multiplying this across the entire squad. You know that not only have your legs gone, but your team-mates' legs have gone, too. No wonder the heads drop when the goals go in.

If you think it right through, is there any chance this could be a huge exposure of Murray's misunderstanding of the difference between the professional game and the part-time game? There can't be any other reason for being outfought and outplayed by part time sides, other than the fact that our players' fitness has been hugely mis-managed.

Throw in the bizarre team selections and you've got yourself a perfect storm of utter shite.

Maybe they train too much and have been sapped of stamina by the time Saturday comes?

General malaise dating back to the first game of the season? In my book the malaise can be traced back to a precise moment in time. The time when a week's post-League Cup winning boozing seemed to have been sanctioned from the management, and the whole fcuking lot of them appeared to have sat back and said 'we're cup winners now' and downed tools. Following this, the whole clearly unravelling situation was compounded by a series of poor managerial appontments, poor transfer windows, genuine talent leaving and being replaced with shite, all overseen by a want-away board who still haven't had any noticeable voices of dissention raised in their direction, because their teflon-coated status is not, cannot, and will not be questioned.

Want to know when St Mirren started down the road of fcuking themselves up from within? Simply picture the Bull Inn and a pint tumbler in your head.

there's no way you can blame every thing that's happened since winning the. Cup. On the players celebrating with the fans ,we have always said the o/f could be never celebrate with their fans like we did , now u want them to do a lap of honour then disappear ?

there's no way you can blame every thing that's happened since winning the. Cup. On the players celebrating with the fans ,we have always said the o/f could be never celebrate with their fans like we did , now u want them to do a lap of honour then disappear ?

Erm, no, that's not what I said. Try reading my posts again.