Facebook - The New Competition To Sky Sports And Bt Sports?

Stuart Dickson

I found this little nugget on the internet tonight. Facebook have apparently launched something called Facebook Sports Stadium which, it claims, will revolutionise the Sports media industry. The blog has been written by someone working in the Digital Marketing industry and in it he outlines his hopes and fears with regard to how this will work.

What was interesting in the place where I found this was that one of the comments on the page was by a former BT Sports executive who has now moved into online media who says he's always believed that Facebook would soon be bidding for live video broadcasting rights across a number of sporting sectors. In its current form it looks like it may rival the kind of text based match commentaries provided by the likes of the BBC and Sky Sports.

Looks like a lot if shite - but, then again, I don't understand the attraction of FB at all so, because of that, I predict that this will be a huge success. It will still be shit, but successful shit.

It's too vague to know exactly what the long term plans are, but I reckon Social Media could become a massive threat to the financial viability of a number of football clubs.......if Facebook decides to flex it's muscles. Read this article from 2014 to see just how big a threat the Premiership thinks Social Media could be. They tried to take action, and to make threats, but they've found quite simply that the Social Media platform is doing nothing illegal, and that there is little point in pursuing the average fan for the online rights breach.

Just imagine that all Facebook are doing here is providing a platform for all the posts from a particular live match to be collated and put in one place. Users check in at a location and then when they publish their posts, photos and video they leave it open for public viewing. You're going to get loads of photos, loads of comment and loads of instant, if not quite live, video footage being filmed and uploaded by Facebook users on their mobile phones. There's potential for multiple camera angles and as camera technology improves - possibly even becoming wearable with, for example, Google Glasses, and 4G and WiFi become more widely available - it could make for some interesting coverage. We see it on here all the time with people who have filmed a penalty being taken, or a free kick being taken on their mobile phones providing links to where they've uploaded the footage so everyone can see it. I think the last one I saw on here was a Stevie Mallan free kick filmed by a forum member. imagine sitting in your seat behind one goal and being able to check the footage out on your phone, filmed by a fan of the opponent club, of a goal being scored in the distant goal almost instantaneously.

I found this little nugget on the internet tonight. Facebook have apparently launched something called Facebook Sports Stadium which, it claims, will revolutionise the Sports media industry. The blog has been written by someone working in the Digital Marketing industry and in it he outlines his hopes and fears with regard to how this will work.

What was interesting in the place where I found this was that one of the comments on the page was by a former BT Sports executive who has now moved into online media who says he's always believed that Facebook would soon be bidding for live video broadcasting rights across a number of sporting sectors. In its current form it looks like it may rival the kind of text based match commentaries provided by the likes of the BBC and Sky Sports.

Seriously are grown adults still using Facebook? lol.gif

Looks like a lot if shite - but, then again, I don't understand the attraction of FB at all so, because of that, I predict that this will be a huge success. It will still be shit, but successful shit.

Yep. Facebook, Twitter, the lot. I don't get any of it.

I don't understand who would possibly be so deluded that they think anyone would be interested in their pish patter.

And I don't understand who has time to read it all.

A pal of mine once said that Facebook was a great way of keeping in touch with people you haven't seen for a while.

Yeah we already have that. It's called a telephone.

So really it's a way of keeping in touch with people you have lost touch with for a reason but who you can't be arsed actually talking to.

Jesus.

There's a whole generation of people out there who are going to wake up in 20 years time and realise they pissed away 20 years on their "smart" phone and missed out on the true value of social face to face interactions with people.

Don't even get me started on bloody Twitter.

I've just had a quick look. Here is a selection of intellectual nuggets from random people I found on there.

Someone can maybe convince me that this sort of utter shite has any value whatsoever:-

Person number 1 - a footballer at our club. Great intellectual insight here.

Who knows if Steven Avery is guilty or not guilty. But there's something fishy about him and his family.

Person number 2 - someone who hilariously calls himself Lifehacker. The mighty oracle speaks. We really should listen apparently.

Make a better Egg McMuffin-like sandwich at home

Person number 3 - Adam. Seriously son - get a f**king life. This sort of thing is hardly gripping is it?

I miss the old days when I'd take a picture of the snow, get it developed at Boots, and then show all my friends a picture of the snow.

I couldn't take any more of it. Just reading those three dropped my IQ by about 20 points.

Happy to be out of the loop of both of these ridiculous fads.

I feel better now for getting THAT off my chest.

Edited by oaksoft

It's too vague to know exactly what the long term plans are, but I reckon Social Media could become a massive threat to the financial viability of a number of football clubs.......if Facebook decides to flex it's muscles. Read this article from 2014 to see just how big a threat the Premiership thinks Social Media could be. They tried to take action, and to make threats, but they've found quite simply that the Social Media platform is doing nothing illegal, and that there is little point in pursuing the average fan for the online rights breach.

Just imagine that all Facebook are doing here is providing a platform for all the posts from a particular live match to be collated and put in one place. Users check in at a location and then when they publish their posts, photos and video they leave it open for public viewing. You're going to get loads of photos, loads of comment and loads of instant, if not quite live, video footage being filmed and uploaded by Facebook users on their mobile phones. There's potential for multiple camera angles and as camera technology improves - possibly even becoming wearable with, for example, Google Glasses, and 4G and WiFi become more widely available - it could make for some interesting coverage. We see it on here all the time with people who have filmed a penalty being taken, or a free kick being taken on their mobile phones providing links to where they've uploaded the footage so everyone can see it. I think the last one I saw on here was a Stevie Mallan free kick filmed by a forum member. imagine sitting in your seat behind one goal and being able to check the footage out on your phone, filmed by a fan of the opponent club, of a goal being scored in the distant goal almost instantaneously.

Nope it all still sounds a bit shit and nothing like this will be able to compete with the thrill of being at an actual game live.

No fan of live football is going to say "it's OK, Alan and Dave are going to record a shaky film on their dodgy iPhone of the match so I can stay at home and enjoy that on the big screen."

Google glasses are dead. Anyone actually trying to use them anywhere in public runs the serious risk of being accused of perving people and risks personal attack. It's a stupid brainless idea thought up by people who don't understand how humans interact socially.

On the other hand, clubs should actively encourage fans to take photos and short clips of goals etc. Anything that says "Welcome to our stadium" rather than "We'll jail you" is a good thing.

None of this will make the slightest difference to crowd levels. The fact you think it will is unsurprising.

Edited by oaksoft

I don't understand who would possibly be so deluded that they think anyone would be interested in their pish patter.

A pal of mine once said that Facebook was a great way of keeping in touch with people you haven't seen for a while.

So really it's a way of keeping in touch with people you have lost touch with for a reason but who you can't be arsed actually talking to.

Jesus.

There's a whole generation of people out there who are going to wake up in 20 years time and realise they pissed away 20 years on their "smart" phone and missed out on the true value of social face to face interactions with people.

I've just had a quick look. Here is a selection of intellectual nuggets from random people I found on there.

Someone can maybe convince me that this sort of utter shite has any value whatsoever:-

Who knows if Steven Avery is guilty or not guilty. But there's something fishy about him and his family.

Person number 2 - someone who hilariously calls himself Lifehacker. The mighty oracle speaks. We really should listen apparently.

Person number 3 - Adam. Seriously son - get a f**king life. This sort of thing is hardly gripping is it?

I miss the old days when I'd take a picture of the snow, get it developed at Boots, and then show all my friends a picture of the snow.

I couldn't take any more of it. Just reading those three dropped my IQ by about 20 points.

????????????

Spends large chunks of his life on a football forum mostly talking about ANYTHING but football.

Aye, back to the drawing board ya walloper. ????

Jesus.

I'm with you on this also my daughter sits up to all hours in her room posting and reading pointless nonsense. She has been offered a stewardess job with BA , first a private company much check all references and no doubt have a good look at social media which will give away a lot about your character.

Because its not for me does not mean its a bad thing just that I'm from an older generation

Nope it all still sounds a bit shit and nothing like this will be able to compete with the thrill of being at an actual game live.

No fan of live football is going to say "it's OK, Alan and Dave are going to record a shaky film on their dodgy iPhone of the match so I can stay at home and enjoy that on the big screen."

Google glasses are dead. Anyone actually trying to use them anywhere in public runs the serious risk of being accused of perving people and risks personal attack. It's a stupid brainless idea thought up by people who don't understand how humans interact socially.

On the other hand, clubs should actively encourage fans to take photos and short clips of goals etc. Anything that says "Welcome to our stadium" rather than "We'll jail you" is a good thing.

None of this will make the slightest difference to crowd levels. The fact you think it will is unsurprising.

Who said anything about it affecting crowds? I was talking about media rights and sponsorship. Did you read the article I linked to?

I don't like twitter, but facebook allows me to see instant photos of my grandkids and the rest of my family, who don't live very near me, i see the kids in person often enough but it fair cheers me up when i see a drawing they have just finished or hear a bit of news about them, it gives me great pleasure. I would not get the same from a phone call and actually find it quite funny that someone who spends a lot of time on this forum, which is a similar type of social media to facebook and twitter (except you are mainly debating/arguing with people you don't even know) can decide that the other two are for idiots but this one isn't.

I don't like twitter, but facebook allows me to see instant photos of my grandkids and the rest of my family, who don't live very near me, i see the kids in person often enough but it fair cheers me up when i see a drawing they have just finished or hear a bit of news about them, it gives me great pleasure. I would not get the same from a phone call and actually find it quite funny that someone who spends a lot of time on this forum, which is a similar type of social media to facebook and twitter (except you are mainly debating/arguing with people you don't even know) can decide that the other two are for idiots but this one isn't.

That is why God invented the free services of things like Facetime and Skype.

And if you can find any post of mine in which I exempt forums from the above description let me know and I will immediately delete or edit the post and deny till death that I ever said such a thing. I call it the Dickson manoeuver.

Edited by oaksoft

That is why God invented the free services of things like Facetime and Skype.

And if you can find any post of mine in which I exempt forums from the above description let me know and I will immediately delete or edit the post and deny till death that I ever said such a thing. I call it the Dickson manoeuver.

Fair enough, you didn't and i am 100% sure wouldn't say this forum had it's fair share of idiots and pedants - it's "manoeuvre" by the way