Metal Machine Music - The Challenge

Bud the Baker

37 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

It actually sounded like he had taken a collection of sound effects from really cheaply made 1960s/70s TV sci-fi and stuck them all together.

Apparently Reed felt that the previous coupla albums he'd made with David Bowie's help had been too commercial and he wanted to make something a little less so - the general consensus is he succeeded! 

That's a superb representation of a post-modern, dystopian world. Harsh, industrial brutalism clashing with the sterile, monochromatic hues of newer, impersonal technological advances that signal human alienation from the products of labour. The discordant energy of the sonic landscape mirrors the absence of a sense of true self, and lack of personal equilibrium, as we struggle to maintain control.

Aye, it's f**king shite!

1 hour ago, Drew said:

That's a superb representation of a post-modern, dystopian world. Harsh, industrial brutalism clashing with the sterile, monochromatic hues of newer, impersonal technological advances that signal human alienation from the products of labour. The discordant energy of the sonic landscape mirrors the absence of a sense of true self, and lack of personal equilibrium, as we struggle to maintain control.

I believe your avatar was listening to it! :death

11 hours ago, Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes said:

Any particular reason this was posted on the anniversary of the man's death or was that just a coincidence?

Just coincidence.

It really came from the Gerry Rafferty thread and whether you could say that some music was bad or if it was just a case of everybody's taste being different. 99% of the time it's just a matter of taste but every now and then an artist will go the extra mile and produce an album that is genuinely bad. In the case of MMM Lou Reed was looking to deliver one final album to RCA, he was going through one of his heavier phases of drug use and came up with the idea of a double album of feedback to piss the record company off and to answer the criticism that he'd gone a bit commercial. Reed had artistic control stipulated in his contract and RCA were obliged to release the album as delivered, although if I'd been them I'd just have passed and let Reed walk out of his contract one album short. MMM is bad music because the driving forces behind the record sounding the way it does were non-musical.

It' s my opinion that no-one could listen to the album all the way through, but having said that I salute Lou Reed for being the ornery son-of-a-bitch that he was! :clapping

On 10/28/2016 at 0:26 AM, Bud the Baker said:

Just coincidence.

It really came from the Gerry Rafferty thread and whether you could say that some music was bad or if it was just a case of everybody's taste being different. 99% of the time it's just a matter of taste but every now and then an artist will go the extra mile and produce an album that is genuinely bad. In the case of MMM Lou Reed was looking to deliver one final album to RCA, he was going through one of his heavier phases of drug use and came up with the idea of a double album of feedback to piss the record company off and to answer the criticism that he'd gone a bit commercial. Reed had artistic control stipulated in his contract and RCA were obliged to release the album as delivered, although if I'd been them I'd just have passed and let Reed walk out of his contract one album short. MMM is bad music because the driving forces behind the record sounding the way it does were non-musical.

It' s my opinion that no-one could listen to the album all the way through, but having said that I salute Lou Reed for being the ornery son-of-a-bitch that he was! :clapping

It's rumoured that during the recording he left the recording studio and nipped out for a pint/a bite to eat/a quick hit before returning and overseeing proceedings. There's no two ways about it that Lou Reed did this to annoy people. And if the stories are to be believed he succeeded mightily.

Edited to add:- Neil Young also did a similar two-fingered salute to his record company when he brought out the album Everybody's Rockin'.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

1 hour ago, Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes said:

Edited to add:- Neil Young also did a similar two-fingered salute to his record company when he brought out the album Everybody's Rockin'.

I always thought Trans was the album that soured the relationship with Geffen. A tribute to Kraftwerk dominated by keyboards most of the vocals were filtered through a Vocoder it prompted many a hippy to question the nature of the shit they were smoking. Although Geffen eventually apologized to Young I always got the impression it was through clenched teeth.

As with LR let's salute the awkward b'stards! :clapping

19 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I always thought Trans was the album that soured the relationship with Geffen. A tribute to Kraftwerk dominated by keyboards most of the vocals were filtered through a Vocoder it prompted many a hippy to question the nature of the shit they were smoking. Although Geffen eventually apologized to Young I always got the impression it was through clenched teeth.

As with LR let's salute the awkward b'stards! :clapping

I actually quite like Trans but in general it seems that the whole of his output on Geffen was willfully bizarre; from rockabilly (Everybody's Rockin') through electronic (Trans) then country (Old Ways) Geffen tried to sue him for misrepresentation as an artist. Then he left them, went back to Reprise brought out Freedom followed by Ragged Glory and recaptured his magic. Geffen must've been scratching their heads wondering where the hell they went wrong.