The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

On 9/22/2023 at 6:24 AM, faraway saint said:

Murray beats some Chinese chappy to reach the last 16 of the Zhuhai Championships.

He is seeded 7th and plays some Russian in the next round that I've never heard of so, hopefully, a decent chance to get to the last 8.

Murray wins the first set 6-4.

Can't watch it, it's such a nothing tournament it's no even on the telly. 

What the hell is it going to take for murray to realise he's done as a serious player everyone and there granny's are beating him he keeps going at this rate he will have more losses than wins in his record.
What's your win/loss prediction record?

With just St Mirren, you don't need to count any other clubs you've supported.

What the hell is it going to take for murray to realise he's done as a serious player everyone and there granny's are beating him he keeps going at this rate he will have more losses than wins in his record.
And more money in the bank. I'm sure he'll stop when it starts costing him to play.

10 hours ago, elvis said:

It's costing him his dignity and reputation right now.

His reputation will only ever be “Grand Slam Champion, “ex-World Number One, “Davis Cup Winner”, “multiple ATP Winner” and a guy who had the guts, determination and ability to get back into the World Top 50 after massive surgery to have a replacement metal hip……..he’ll know when it’s right to retire, he’s earned that right, and won’t give the two smallest of wee f**k’s what negative naysayers slaver.

15 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

His reputation will only ever be “Grand Slam Champion, “ex-World Number One, “Davis Cup Winner”, “multiple ATP Winner” and a guy who had the guts, determination and ability to get back into the World Top 50 after massive surgery to have a replacement metal hip……..he’ll know when it’s right to retire, he’s earned that right, and won’t give the two smallest of wee f**k’s what negative naysayers slaver.

He did fcuk all at the olympics either. 

IMG_4154.thumb.jpeg.3325feaa76cd9e37926d124b397fa74d.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/20/2024 at 5:58 PM, faraway saint said:

Murray, at last, wins his first match this year.

Not a big name but a wins a win.

Plays another duffer in the next round, hope to feck he gets another win. 

Murray loses again, albeit in the longest match in this particulars tournaments history.

I'm starting to feel the end is nigh, I see no point in playing if your getting pumped time after time by no marks. 

On 2/21/2024 at 6:27 PM, faraway saint said:

Murray loses again, albeit in the longest match in this particulars tournaments history.

I'm starting to feel the end is nigh, I see no point in playing if your getting pumped time after time by no marks. 

Oh, I  shoukd add the young guy that beat Murray dispatched Rublev yesterday in straight sets so maybe he's not the duffer I thought.  🙄

35 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

https://twitter.com/TennisTV/status/1762135561525928041?t=c5RwIivpNq1W5gqFFVsqkA&s=19

@andy_murray on making his 500th hard court win

"Not too bad" 😂

Aye, today's victory was against a player currently 120th in the world, but, again, a win's a win. 

Fingers crossed he's got something left and can get a 2nd win, his 3rd this year. 

25 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, today's victory was against a player currently 120th in the world, but, again, a win's a win. 

Fingers crossed he's got something left and can get a 2nd win, his 3rd this year. 

Shapovalov was ranked 10th in the world six months ago before getting injured, but has now recovered and is making his way back again, so I think it is a bit much to imply he is a complete numpty.

Edited by ianmac

11 minutes ago, ianmac said:

Shapovalov was ranked 10th in the world six months ago before getting injured, but has now recovered and is making his way back again, so I think it is a bit much to imply he is a complete numpty.

Only a numpty wouldn't have known that. 😉

6 minutes ago, ianmac said:

Murry also said in his interview after the match I probably don't have too long left but I'll do as best as I can these last few months," .

I guess he has just about had enough.......

Think most folk would have guessed his time was nearing an end. Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play on the clay to try and finish with a few wins at Wimbledon before retiring. 

42 minutes ago, ianmac said:

I never implied anything. 

His current ranking is all that matters.

I've,  in the past, praised Shapovla after seeing him at Queens so I'm well aware how decent he WAS, but that was then