The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I had Halep to win 2-1, had an idea her movement would prove to be a major factor.

Only seen the first set and she was all over Williams. 

I fancied Halep to take the trophy when I saw the final line up. 

Was surprised to see every pundit and commentator on BBC expecting a Williams victory.

Halep had looked formidable and very much in the zone. She was sensational today - well done lassie! 

Heading down for the men's final tomorrow. :) 

Normally a Nadal fan but will be in team Roger tomorrow I think. Never much been a fan of the guy but he was fantastic against Rafa. Just hope that he manages to give Djokovic as good a game. 

Will be disappointed to miss the Dunfermline game all the same!

8 minutes ago, Maboza said:

I fancied Halep to take the trophy when I saw the final line up. 

Was surprised to see every pundit and commentator on BBC expecting a Williams victory.

Halep had looked formidable and very much in the zone. She was sensational today - well done lassie! 

Heading down for the men's final tomorrow. :) 

Normally a Nadal fan but will be in team Roger tomorrow I think. Never much been a fan of the guy but he was fantastic against Rafa. Just hope that he manages to give Djokovic as good a game. 

Will be disappointed to miss the Dunfermline game all the same!

Aye, I seen that and started to doubt my faith in Halep, WTF do they know. :lol:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread Willams was not as mobile as she once was and wasn't consistent.

Halep did play out of her skin, a well deserved winner and Williams was very gracious in defeat.

Going to be another classic tomorrow, Federer in 5 for me. 

Have a great day. 

The longest mens final in history at Wimbledon sees Djokovic win a classic final. 

Quite an achievement as the crowd were willing Federer to win.

Not the best final I've seen for quality but up there for drama.

The pre match talk, especially from Navratilova, about Federes age was utter nonsense. 

It seems all of a sudden in the final his age was a factor, forgetting the previous 6 matches.

Credit to both players, nerves of steel. 

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The longest mens final in history at Wimbledon sees Djokovic win a classic final. 

Quite an achievement as the crowd were willing Federer to win.

Not the best final I've seen for quality but up there for drama.

The pre match talk, especially from Navratilova, about Federes age was utter nonsense. 

It seems all of a sudden in the final his age was a factor, forgetting the previous 6 matches.

Credit to both players, nerves of steel. 

They certainly were and always are. 

I feel a bit sorry for Djokovic during these games. It's incredible what he's achieved in the game and without the same level of support that Fed and Nadal command.  I was expecting I would be supporting Fed during the match but ended up shouting a fair bit for Djokovic. Overall, I just wanted the game to go on and on. 

Totally agree that it wasn't the absolute best quality but a tense and dramatic final that definitely goes down as a classic. 

Also agree that age isn't really an issue for Fed. He looks like he's got plenty left in the tank to me and his technique, shot making and experience are plenty of a match for the more physically intense approach of Nadal and Djokovic. These 3 have got a while to go yet as long as there's no bad injuries. 

1 minute ago, Maboza said:

They certainly were and always are. 

I feel a bit sorry for Djokovic during these games. It's incredible what he's achieved in the game and without the same level of support that Fed and Nadal command.  I was expecting I would be supporting Fed during the match but ended up shouting a fair bit for Djokovic. Overall, I just wanted the game to go on and on. 

Totally agree that it wasn't the absolute best quality but a tense and dramatic final that definitely goes down as a classic. 

Also agree that age isn't really an issue for Fed. He looks like he's got plenty left in the tank to me and his technique, shot making and experience are plenty of a match for the more physically intense approach of Nadal and Djokovic. These 3 have got a while to go yet as long as there's no bad injuries. 

I was thinking about you yesterday, not in THAT way :lol: and was thinking..................

How do the shadows affect being able to see the ball?

The clowns that shout out, are you allowed to punch them? 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I was thinking about you yesterday, not in THAT way :lol: and was thinking..................

How do the shadows affect being able to see the ball?

The clowns that shout out, are you allowed to punch them? 

Manage to follow the ball okay in the light/shadows without any real problems. I think it sounds like it's more of an issue for the players judging by the commentary.

Certainly plenty of candidates down there that would be deserving of a good skelp. :lol:   The posh, middle-class tennis crowd definitely has a fair number of irritating characters but usually a good mix of other decent people that are grateful to be there, have got lucky with ballot tickets and are nice and sociable. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 9:10 AM, faraway saint said:

Murray brothers out.

Seems Andy isnae very good at doubles.

Time he got back on the singles tour. 

Murray returns to singles next week in the Cincinnati Masters. 

Good decision.

A very long road in front of him but the sooner he get's on it the sooner he'll find out of he can compete at the highest level.

Good luck. 

Edited by faraway saint

4 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:
On 8/10/2019 at 7:43 AM, faraway saint said:
Murray returns to singles next week in the Cincinnati Masters. 
Good decision.
A very long road in front of him but the sooner he get's on it the sooner he'll find out of he can compete at the highest level.
Good luck. 

Lost 6-4 6-4.

Forgot all about it, ach well, every game will show him where he is in his attempts to come back. 

11 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:
9 hours ago, faraway saint said:
Forgot all about it, ach well, every game will show him where he is in his attempts to come back. 

Yep, it's not as if he was playing a total nobody and he could easily have lost like that when he was at his fittest. More about his reaction (physically and mentally) to it.

I've watched a 15 minute highlights piece and, as you'd expect, some classic Murray shots and some that he should have converted.

Aye, Gasquet is no mug so 6-4, 6-4 isn't a pumping but Murray hasn't lost to him since 2012, suggesting he's not in Murrays league, when at his best.

Heard he's only going to enter the US open in the doubles, probably right as he's a long way from playing a possible 5 set match.

Edited by faraway saint

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...