Thomas Cook

faraway saint

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

The last time 1 flew with them was around 10 years ago coming back from Faro,

Wee skinny guy in front of me decided to decline his seat right back.

Ask him to put it back up but he refused.

Ask steward what the score was, and her answer was he is allowed and then she walked away with no attempt to ask the guy.

Spent the next 2 hrs sticking my knee into the back of the seat for some childish revenge.

Since then I fly only with Jet 2 since their seat doesn't decline.

Thomas Cook lost me as a customer that day for me never to return. 

Stopped using package tours years ago me being tall was a nightmare very uncomfortable. Misses wanted to go to Mahon a few years ago so tried Jet 2. What a difference plenty room to get comfortable.  Mostly use Expedia for holidays travelling schedule flights. 

The story just gets crazier, The Guardian reports that Spanish & Turkish governments were willing to contribute money to prevent the immediate collapse of the company until they realized their would be no support from the UK government.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/23/squadrons-start-flying-150000-thomas-cook-customers-back-to-uk

The government has been accused of sealing Thomas Cook’s fate, as claims emerged that the Spanish and Turkish governments had offered to help save the stricken tour operator, only for the deal to disintegrate due to a lack of support in Westminster.

Still on the plus side at least we've got some winners from the situation - the City speculators and their Tory stooges at Westminster.

Hedge funds set to make millions from Thomas Cook collapse

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1181858/thomas-cook-latest-news-update-hedge-funds-short-shares-profits-bonuses-ceo-fankhauser

24 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's incredible that anyone would attempt to blame the government for not propping up a private company more than £1bn in debt who ran up a half year loss of £1.5bn.

Absolutely bizarre.

Bizarre that other governments & organizations (including the Germans) were willing to look at the wider situation.

Separately, the German government was reportedly considering providing Thomas Cook subsidiary airline Condor with a bridging loan, allowing the company to keep flying. Condor flights were still taking place on Monday.

I'll see your absolutely bizarre and raise you a dogmatic neoliberal government!

Undoubtedly the TC business model was outmoded but it could've been handled differently.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Hearing Thomas Cook were Sevco's preferred Travel Partner....

in that case I'd expect 'The Thomas Cook' flights to be back in the air within days, and them allowed to keep all their "Best Travel Company of The Year awards," and their 180 year history.

they will have to 'start the journey' in the Third tier of World Package Holiday destinations, but fully expect the CAA to give them Priority Boarding and Speedy Check ins all the way.

47 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Bizarre that other governments & organizations (including the Germans) were willing to look at the wider situation.

I'll see your absolutely bizarre and raise you a dogmatic neoliberal government!

Undoubtedly the TC business model was outmoded but it could've been handled differently.

Twice as many Germans using TC though . . . twice as many left stranded by this...

8 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

I had an arrogant twat think it was smart to pull a sneaky stunt like that a few months ago

a sharp word in his ear stopped the knees in the back of the chair. That is what the wee guy should have done in your case

pay for extra legroom the next time

Legroom was fine, it was the back of the seat in my face that was the problem. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:
1 hour ago, faraway saint said:
Here, although my guess would be closer to 20 degrees.
pro_r45_42042_md.gif&key=87a92acca77ff1cefd7a727d70e20077d7baa2fe0e718620d5f173551d128946

Aye more likely nearer your guess than mine but it was a long time ago. Point of my post was the staff making no effort to resolve the problem, which lead for me to stop flying with them.

Haven't been on a package holiday since the 1980s but Thomas Cook got a good reputation, I Know, for their holidays. The staff too had a good reputation with friends who used. Never nice to see people lose their jobs. Government funding by taking a stake in the business might have been possible as might a takeover of the business by the Chinese company that had been seeking to make an investment. The injection of funds from the gov, were said to require £200-250m. The cost of repatriation might be around £300-£500 per person for 150.000 people - £45m to £75m. Some of which might be recoverable. 

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Long haul.. Business and First Class go lie flat. Mattress, Pillow and Blankets Supplies. Pyjamas too in many first class flights. 

Yea I was shocked at that Mr Me here are pyjamas much more comfortable for travelling. I said no it's ok feeling a bit embarrassed. She talked me into it and she was right. Later she made me a full size bed. As I had a gold BA card was upgraded quite a few times. First is another world it's the way to travel but the cost is outwith my budget. Sometimes I had to fly at short notice so also did Virgin, km, Air France first.  BA was by far the most professional.  Called me by my name as soon as I walked on the plain. Now I travel chicken class as that's what I can afford.  

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yea I was shocked at that Mr Me here are pyjamas much more comfortable for travelling. I said no it's ok feeling a bit embarrassed. She talked me into it and she was right. Later she made me a full size bed. As I had a gold BA card was upgraded quite a few times. First is another world it's the way to travel but the cost is outwith my budget. Sometimes I had to fly at short notice so also did Virgin, km, Air France first.  BA was by far the most professional.  Called me by my name as soon as I walked on the plain. Now I travel chicken class as that's what I can afford.  

I like Emirates First Class and their Business Class is excellent. The lounges are also very good. When I was flying back from Cape Town, the flight left around 7 or 8pm. I would go into the lounger, enjoy a steak and other stuff, get on the flight, watch a movie and go to sleep. Now, I don't fly much. Wouldn't waste my money on Business Class or anyone else's on Shorter Flights up to 5 hours or so. I'd be happier going with a low cost carrier with reserved seats and put the money into hiring a better car or staying in a better hotel and restaurants. So.. Chicken class for me too now I think. 

7 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

It is very odd, I agree.

The wider picture IMO is that an unsustainable business was allowed to fail without causing our government to find £200m from the NHS or education. The last time our government bailed out private companies (RBS etc) we ended up with a bill which will probably never be repaid in the lifetime of anyone born in the last 10 years.

I understand the argument about 9000 people on the dole but the reality is that overwhelming majority of those employees will find equivalent jobs in the next 1-3 months.

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Long haul.. Business and First Class go lie flat. Mattress, Pillow and Blankets Supplies. Pyjamas too in many first class flights. 

Unless those seats allow you to essentially trap the human being behind you for the duration of a flight that this post of yours is about as irrelevant as everything else you post.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Unless those seats allow you to essentially trap the human being behind you for the duration of a flight that this post of yours is about as irrelevant as everything else you post.

Clearly, you have never been lucky enough to fly Business or First Class or you wouldn't make the comment. A number have separate units which encompass your seat/bed within what is a cabin. Drinks Cabinet etc, TV, Music System, Phone, Internet Connection and more. IOBS could add other perks but space, late boarding, early offloading and private lounge facilities add to the trip. Oh and a limo pick up to and from the airports. I used that to pick me up at Hampden on 17 March 2013 as I left directly from there to the airport to catch a flight to Dubai and on to Cape Town. 

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Clearly, you have never been lucky enough to fly Business or First Class or you wouldn't make the comment. A number have separate units which encompass your seat/bed within what is a cabin. Drinks Cabinet etc, TV, Music System, Phone, Internet Connection and more. IOBS could add other perks but space, late boarding, early offloading and private lounge facilities add to the trip. Oh and a limo pick up to and from the airports. I used that to pick me up at Hampden on 17 March 2013 as I left directly from there to the airport to catch a flight to Dubai and on to Cape Town. 

What fresh hell is this wittering shite?

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

What fresh hell is this wittering shite?

It's a life you have never been lucky to enjoy or even imagine regarding flying. Start... Limo pick up, private lounge with free food and drink. Late boarding to cut time on the plane. Lie flat Seats with cabins to provide privacy. Equpped with large screen TV, private bar, excellent meals. Mattress, Pillow, blanket and pajamas in 1st. First off the plane, special customs gates to speed things through and express service with offloaded luggage which comes through first. Limo to destination waiting. Costs a lot. I used to say.. Pay me less in fees. But I want to travel well, and did. 

Edited by St.Ricky

59 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

It's a life you have never been lucky to enjoy or even imagine regarding flying. Start... Limo pick up, private lounge with free food and drink. Late boarding to cut time on the plane. Lie flat Seats with cabins to provide privacy. Equpped with large screen TV, private bar, excellent meals. Mattress, Pillow, blanket and pajamas in 1st. First off the plane, special customs gates to speed things through and express service with offloaded luggage which comes through first. Limo to destination waiting. Costs a lot. I used to say.. Pay me less in fees. But I want to travel well, and did. 

There is a least one poster on this thread who has explicitly said that his daughter has just lost her livelihood and you think it's appropriate to come out with this?

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

There is a least one poster on this thread who has explicitly said that his daughter has just lost her livelihood and you think it's appropriate to come out with this?

You do know that I commented earlier, as I know you also did, that I felt for those who had lost their jobs.

Its clear that when you are out of your knowledge base, as you are here when the comments came to space and facilities in different classes that you resort to huffy, gruff comments and attempted put downs as an attempt to cover up.