So is he real or not....................?

Take a look at the following video and it will take you to where cinema is now reaching - total virtual reality:

https://brawproduction.com/?fbclid=IwAR1z9VmA_gp6wOpaCUwiOF_nQsV-0tEro3zFXSoJpKbGQOYuM5Xq1lr3pdY#work

My wife's nephew is involved in this type of work in the West of Scotland and the Company that he works for has been involved in a few Hollywood blockbusters.

Brilliant technology. 

10 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Take a look at the following video and it will take you to where cinema is now reaching - total virtual reality:

https://brawproduction.com/?fbclid=IwAR1z9VmA_gp6wOpaCUwiOF_nQsV-0tEro3zFXSoJpKbGQOYuM5Xq1lr3pdY#work

My wife's nephew is involved in this type of work in the West of Scotland and the Company that he works for has been involved in a few Hollywood blockbusters.

Brilliant technology. 

The improvement has been fantastic over the years.

The main area now is to improve the quality of motion. It's still quite jerky in patches and clearly not natural yet but that video is still stunning.

To be able to make a film without needing major funding or a massive casting budget would open many doors for film-makers would be incredible.

19 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The improvement has been fantastic over the years.

The main area now is to improve the quality of motion. It's still quite jerky in patches and clearly not natural yet but that video is still stunning.

To be able to make a film without needing major funding or a massive casting budget would open many doors for film-makers would be incredible.

Technology even making actors redundant! LOL 

I've said this before, as have many others, that the need for actors could decrease dramatically due to the advance in CGG. One actor could voice many characters, action scenes could be even more daring, though they already use CGG for this and the costs of making the movie will reduce . Money is god and the CGG is getting to the stage where you won't be able to tell the difference between real and virtual. I don't think it was that far away and this pandemic may be the straw that broke the actors' back as film makers get desperate to make movies. Social distancing won't work in a fight/romantic scene.

CGI  won't replace real actors.

People who like films would still want to see real actors.

I mean films - not the blockbuster Marvel type shite that kids go to see.  There was a backlash to reusing dead film footage of Star Wars actors.  There was backlash at the youngification of De Niro and others in the Irishman.

One actor does already voice many characters in eg a radio play.  This is not a  novel process.

cgi (and other sfx) has been in use for decades to make fantastic, scarcely credible footage.

That is all.

If the vid above is wholly virtual reality then its creation is smashing.  A bit cold and distant, but excellently executed.

Edited by antrin

1 hour ago, antrin said:

CGI  won't replace real actors.

People who like films would still want to see real actors.

I mean films - not the blockbuster Marvel type shite that kids go to see.  There was a backlash to reusing dead film footage of Star Wars actors.  There was backlash at the youngification of De Niro and others in the Irishman.

One actor does already voice many characters in eg a radio play.  This is not a  novel process.

cgi (and other sfx) has been in use for decades to make fantastic, scarcely credible footage.

That is all.

If the vid above is wholly virtual reality then its creation is smashing.  A bit cold and distant, but excellently executed.

Given the situation at the moment it would be nigh on impossible to make a "real" movie with everyone standing 2 mts apart. To make it true to the notnew norm they  would need to use technology to make it look "right". I think the longer the situation stays the same people will be more accepting of new technology. Anyway, computer generated graphics are improving so much that it is becoming difficult to tell real from fake. There were people saying "talkies" would never take off. There were people saying motor cars were the devil's work and would die a death. People come around when new things are introduced. Some having to be dragged out of their caves.

7 hours ago, W6er said:

Technology even making actors redundant! LOL 

The first cost saving would be removing the need for extras.

It's pretty easy to see how removing lead actors would be next.

I can see the same "character" being re-used in multiple films.

There will probably always be an industry for real actors but there's definitely going to be an appetite for this sort of thing.

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The first cost saving would be removing the need for extras.

There will probably always be an industry for real actors but there's definitely going to be an appetite for this sort of thing.

:lol:

You're getting into the realms of films that are a spin off from video games.

I'll not say never but no matter how good the special effects are you cannot, and are more than unlikely, replace actors who have that magic thing called personality.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The first cost saving would be removing the need for extras.
not new. Already being done. Thousands upon thousands in Lord of the Rings.  Or, as I said,  in any blockbuster marvel style bollox.

not for me, it isn’t.  I don’t watch cartoons.

not new . Already being done.

only an appetite for those who’d love a Big Mac.

7 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Given the situation at the moment it would be nigh on impossible to make a "real" movie with everyone standing 2 mts apart. To make it true to the notnew norm they  would need to use technology to make it look "right". I think the longer the situation stays the same people will be more accepting of new technology. Anyway, computer generated graphics are improving so much that it is becoming difficult to tell real from fake. There were people saying "talkies" would never take off. There were people saying motor cars were the devil's work and would die a death. People come around when new things are introduced. Some having to be dragged out of their caves.

They are making soaps still, even though it is slower and currently trickier.    Just as movies might be.

this state is ONLY TEMORARY.

All things must pass.

Nothing new, just improving the effects. 

Final Phantasy released 2001 total CGI

1990's Babylon 5 was one of the earliest to TV series to use it

Starwars Rogue One had CGI characters with real life

Terminator movies

Great to see what they can do now, still think real life actors will be used but what do I know

The recent "fake" grand national was an example of how far this technology has come.

Some shots were remarkably "real" looking but others, when they jumped the fences" were not fluent at all.

The bottom line is this technology will always be in a supporting role to real actors who can add the human touch.

(Except in cartoon/game style movies)

On 5/3/2020 at 8:53 AM, faraway saint said:

The recent "fake" grand national was an example of how far this technology has come.

Some shots were remarkably "real" looking but others, when they jumped the fences" were not fluent at all.

The bottom line is this technology will always be in a supporting role to real actors who can add the human touch.

(Except in cartoon/game style movies)

So in Blade Runner 2, could you see who was real and who wasn't?

8 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Never seen it, and unlikely to see it as the first one was shite. :rolleyes:

PS Don't misunderstand my viewpoint, the technology now days is astounding.

Unlike some people I do enjoy the Marvel type films and they, amongst others, use it superbly.

My opinion is that it won't overtake real people in major movies as I've already mentioned, real actors, especially good ones, have a personality and charisma you cannot manufacture. 

Edited by faraway saint

33 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

“Fake?”

”yes.”

”Expensive?”

”very.”

perhaps the cleverest bit of dialogue of ANY movie.

A lot of emotional baggage being exchanged undercover of those words.

a follow-up chat...

Now that came from Blade Runner 1, if I remember in my befuddled aged mind.................., however one might ask oneself would you or wouldn't you?

However they had to replicate her for Blade Runner 2, as they wanted the look of the original film, but Sean Young had somewhat changed by that time and ...................................she was indeed replicated in the West of Scotland!

Blade Runner 2049' made Sean Young young again - YouTube

Edited by The Original 59er
added picture