So Farewell Then Captain Tom

shull

The Buffoon has given away more from the UK supposedly-Covid-fighting budget to his cronies than that old guy could have made in a hundred years of walking.

He did his bit, and now that is being used to distract from an impotent, corrupt government which is not doing its “bit” and which should be governing for and protecting the whole population, not just Tory pals and relations.

51 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Isn't it pleasant that most people aren't bitter politically sad fannies? 🙄

Heres a thought for you. Perhaps the NHS would cope better with the pandemic if it was properly funded, with those that can afford it paying more via taxes. Instead, we have NHS charitable foundations, old people walking round gardens and fecking telethons. It is all bollocks, and the media inspired frenzy over Uncle Tom is sickening. He should have been allowed to see out his final years in peace without all this nonsense. It is he who has been shamelessly used as a political pawn.

Maybe we should announce a public holiday in honour of Uncle Tom, where we all have to go round poor people with collecting tins to help get money for the NHS? It would be so fitting.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2021 at 8:05 AM, oaksoft said:

Cringe.

Birthday caird pish!

It's one thing expressing sorrow at his death but this is straight out cringeworthy.

This is a 100 year old man that you don't even know. Get a grip.

I didn't know John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Bobby Moore and John Thaw, but was very saddened to hear of their passing...

This man touched the heart of all nations, he managed, through his actions, to highlight the support to others is the most crucial part of getting through a pandemic…..

Anyone who purchases one of these cards, the money goes to the charity he already raised 33m for....

Its a great cause

You're a lost cause

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Heres a thought for you. Perhaps the NHS would cope better with the pandemic if it was properly funded, with those that can afford it paying more via taxes. Instead, we have NHS charitable foundations, old people walking round gardens and fecking telethons. It is all bollocks, and the media inspired frenzy over Uncle Tom is sickening. He should have been allowed to see out his final years in peace without all this nonsense. It is he who has been shamelessly used as a political pawn.

Maybe we should announce a public holiday in honour of Uncle Tom, where we all have to go round poor people with collecting tins to help get money for the NHS? It would be so fitting.

I think the point is more, we have several threads to voice these (fair) views and concerns. I don't think the thread specifically to honour Captain Tom is the right platform & imagine others will share that view. 

Just now, bazil85 said:

I think the point is more, we have several threads to voice these (fair) views and concerns. I don't think the thread specifically to honour Captain Tom is the right platform & imagine others will share that view. 

I think what it highlights Baz , is that some on here are ignorant twats, and ignorRANTS   

Wonder what their legacy will be ? An anonymous fanny on football forum ... 

16 hours ago, Hendo said:

This is getting ridiculous.

A  media inspired and concocted feel good story to try and divert the plebs from the shambles of a government "leading" them, while continuing to perpetuate the notion that the NHS is a charity which shouldnt receive state funding.

And here we are, talking about state funerals and hospitals being named after him. FFS.

Yup - this is all distraction shite from an inept government's mismanagement which has led to far, far too many deaths - including the hastening of that of the aged 'hero' instead of prompting actions with (and actually financing) the National Health Service and Local Track and Trace systems to achieve a happier end for countless anonymous people.

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

My earlier post was due to my outrage at how the death of an old man (who was respected for doing what little he could), has been hijacked, immediately seized upon by The Buffoon for a fatuous, false and superficial display of sympathy. 

The Buffoon has used THAT death to distract from the thousands of others that don't bother him in the slightest.

It's not posters like Hendo and myself being political - we're merely reacting to the already politicised manipulation of the old guy's death.

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

You think anyone showing any kind of emotion at all is "cringe" you are a dinosaur with no capability for compassion. 👍

It's not compassion.

It's pompous virtue signalling.

Emoting at will, in the way you are doing, is not a character strength. It's a tiresome weakness. It also reeks of fakery.

Edited by oaksoft

21 minutes ago, antrin said:

Yup - this is all distraction shite from an inept government's mismanagement which has led to far, far too many deaths - including the hastening of that of the aged 'hero' instead of prompting actions with (and actually financing) the National Health Service and Local Track and Trace systems to achieve a happier end for countless anonymous people.

My earlier post was due to my outrage at how the death of an old man (who was respected for doing what little he could), has been hijacked, immediately seized upon by The Buffoon for a fatuous, false and superficial display of sympathy. 

The Buffoon has used THAT death to distract from the thousands of others that don't bother him in the slightest.

It's not posters like Hendo and myself being political - we're merely reacting to the already politicised manipulation of the old guy's death.

Utter trash.

Enough said. 

40 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's not compassion.

It's pompous virtue signalling.

Emoting at will, in the way you are doing, is not a character strength. It's a tiresome weakness. It also reeks of fakery.

No it's not, you further evidence my view that you have no concept of compassion or people showing emotion outside their own personal circle.

Let's not forget you made the absurd claim earlier in this pandemic that everyone's view is governed by their personal financial impacts, you are incapable of understanding people can care about others, even if it impacts their own pockets.

The view that it is "cringe" to put nice messages/ pictures up about a man that raised 10s of millions for the NHS & captured the heart of a nation is every bit as miserable, ludicrous and ignorant. 

You are one of the most narrow minded people I have ever had the misfortune to engage with & that's a big claim given some of the people on here. 

55 minutes ago, antrin said:

Fair enough if you want to give these (again fair) points on here, I was only making a point on why there was likely pushback. 

It's funny, seen a comment on Twitter that Captain Tom's death is one of the very few things to "completely" unite the nation, they obviously aren't a visitor to this website. I don't know if it has ever happened. 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Fair enough if you want to give these (again fair) points on here, I was only making a point on why there was likely pushback. 

It's funny, seen a comment on Twitter that Captain Tom's death is one of the very few things to "completely" unite the nation, they obviously aren't a visitor to this website. I don't know if it has ever happened. 

While I've, overall, agreed with the main sentiment of a couple of your recent posts I have to say it's far from fair, but this threads been cluttered up enough with cheap political point scoring so I'll leave it at that. 

38 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

While I've, overall, agreed with the main sentiment of a couple of your recent posts I have to say it's far from fair, but this threads been cluttered up enough with cheap political point scoring so I'll leave it at that. 

I mean it's fair the criticism in general not that it's fair it's on this particular thread mate. 

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I felt similarly when you wrote the above cliché, “captured the heart of a nation”.  You’re better than that, baz!

that is precisely the political distraction and misplaced shallow emotive distraction that The Buffoon hoped for.

It may have “captured” some hearts, but it hasn’t helped stop others from simply failing under the stress of  the Covid disease. Concentrating on the main job would be a far more beneficial use of the nation’s time, emotions, finance etc

7 minutes ago, antrin said:

I felt similarly when you wrote the above cliché, “captured the heart of a nation”.  You’re better than that, baz!

that is precisely the political distraction and misplaced shallow emotive distraction that The Buffoon hoped for.

It may have “captured” some hearts, but it hasn’t helped stop others from simply failing under the stress of  the Covid disease. Concentrating on the main job would be a far more beneficial use of the nation’s time, emotions, finance etc

I assure you, the effort of Captain Tom and the fact he did capture the nations heart (bar maybe a few utter miserable gits like Oakster) did not remotely distract me from the brutal and unforgivable performance of Bojo during this pandemic and the shameful underfunding of the NHS for far too long, even pre-COVID. 

Bit ignorant IMO to think people aren't capable of celebrating a persons contribution but continue to realise the failings of a government(s). 

Edited by bazil85

4 hours ago, antrin said:

It is fascinating to sit back and look at what is happening.

Instead of attacking those in both UK and Holyrood governments who have allowed the NHS to become incapable of dealing with a few thousand sick patients, people are arguing over who cares more about the death of this one old guy who lived for more than a century. And we wonder why those in charge never answer for their failures.

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Instead of attacking those in both UK and Holyrood governments who have allowed the NHS to become incapable of dealing with a few thousand sick patients, people are arguing over who cares more about the death of this one old guy who lived for more than a century. And we wonder why those in charge never answer for their failures.

No they are not. 

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Jesus wept....Shull started a respectful thread re the passing of a lovely old guy that did a lot of good...this is a fan forum not the Daily Express. Truely some total wankers on this forum... 

8 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Jesus wept....Shull started a respectful thread re the passing of a lovely old guy that did a lot of good...this is a fan forum not the Daily Express. Truely some total wankers on this forum... 

I know I am probably wasting my time here and that there's a very good reason why your nickname is the Village Idiot but I'll try.

The criticism on here is not about the old guy. Please tell me that you understand that.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I know I am probably wasting my time here and that there's a very good reason why your nickname is the Village Idiot but I'll try.

The criticism on here is not about the old guy. Please tell me that you understand that.

Yes, well explained.

Maybe you, and the bitter, unfounded, political point scoring from a few  sad souls,  should realise this thread ISN'T the place as there are plenty of other threads for that stuff.

I know I've probably wasted my time as you're famous for failing to understand, or accept, the bleedin obvious. 

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Maybe you should read the titles before you start spouting off your usual bile, and show some respect. If you have an issue with political ramifications or even marketing, start a thread, rather than just hijacking this one , simple thread starting "So Farewell"

Tell me that you can understand that

PS I quite like being referred to as Village Idiot , makes me smile ….