Utility bills

4 minutes ago, ianmac said:

I am not suggesting that some incompetent politician runs them, but someone who knows what the are doing. Presumably the people who are running EDF know the energy market.

It was doing well early in the year…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64647854

…and EDF runs ALL 8 of the UK’ nuclear plants.

But it’s currently having major problems (IIRC) in building new ones with what they thought were a really good model…

Most of the train companies in the UK are run by foreign states. How come they can do it? We only seem to pick up the basket cases.

Here’s the full list:

c2c: Italian state

Chiltern: German state

Caledonian sleeper: PRIVATE

CrossCountry: German state

East Midlands: Dutch state

Eurostar: French state

Gatwick Express: French state

Grand Central: German state

Great Northern: French state

GWR: PRIVATE

Greater Anglia: Dutch state

Heathrow Express: PRIVATE

Hull Trains: PRIVATE

LNER: British state

London Northwestern Railway: Dutch state

London Overground: German state

London Underground: British state

Merseyrail: Dutch state

Northern: German state

Northern Ireland Railways: British state

Scotrail: Dutch state

South Western Railway: Hong Kong state

Southeastern: French state

Southern: French state

Stansted Express: Dutch state

TfL rail: Hong Kong state

Thameslink: French state

TransPennine Express: PRIVATE

Transport for Wales: French state

West Coast: Italian state

West Midlands Railway: Dutch state

Edited by ianmac

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Jesus christ. 

The battle that working people fought to have a voice and while there are strikes that seem more of an ego trip for union representatives your attitude is frankly......well, hard to find suitable words. 🤡

In some countries union leaders have been murdered, kidnapped, tortured for speaking out on behalf of their members.

Perhaps some would rather we just go back to employing slaves, child labour, horrific work conditions, etc, etc as long as they get the odd long weekend (unpaid of course!).

An activist whose work I have followed for many years is Mark Thomas.

Some of the things he has encountered during his campaigns in the UK and globally are off the scale. 

One in particular was his views on Coca-cola. 

This is a bit dated but relevant.

IMG_5684.thumb.jpeg.9fa9ff04b4157e94fa857ee61996fb52.jpeg

More can be found at http://killercoke.org/powerpoint_presentation.php

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Jesus christ. 

The battle that working people fought to have a voice and while there are strikes that seem more of an ego trip for union representatives your attitude is frankly......well, hard to find suitable words. 🤡

Why does my 'attitude' matter to anyone else? I'm voting in exactly the same way a militant, unappeasable trade unionist would do. Mine's a pragmatic view, I get an extra day's leave and the union gets my backing. I pay my dues and vote - and remember the union now requires >50% of members to vote for it to be valid - so both myself and the union are winners. :) 

6 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I imagine some on here get a buzz out of upsetting folk... 😆

Unrelated, I'm unsure why some folk apparently have a problem with my religious beliefs. I don't force them on anyone else and I have always failed to see how me attending church, reading the Bible and contemplating Christian doctrine is anybody else's business. 

2 hours ago, W6er said:

Why does my 'attitude' matter to anyone else? I'm voting in exactly the same way a militant, unappeasable trade unionist would do. Mine's a pragmatic view, I get an extra day's leave and the union gets my backing. I pay my dues and vote - and remember the union now requires >50% of members to vote for it to be valid - so both myself and the union are winners. :) 

You're not voting on the reason a possible strike is being balloted, you're voting to get a day off work. :lol:

Early Christmas cracker alert. :1eye

On 12/19/2023 at 6:36 PM, beyond our ken said:

The NHS' biggest problem is the attitude of british people, we just don't look after ourselves properly and expect the state to cover the bill.  The ageing population also presents with diseases that are difficult to treat and the outcomes are less good than the same people might have experienced in their younger years, however a decent enough proportion of conditions are preventable, or avoidable, or better mitigated by diet, exercise and moderation

The NHS is also  somewhat abused by people who turn up looking for hospital attention for trivial diseases.  

Another of your opinions, stated as fact, that has no basis. :byebye

Yes. Not only they are healthier, they also are larger, stronger and live longer lives. If they have not managed to impair themselves with bad lifestyles or intoxicants, they may well stay active until their seventies and eighties.

Edited by faraway saint