Denis Connaghan

A wee true story of the time I met Dennis 

Remember running on to the park at the end of a game with pen and paper as we did back then and headed straight for Dennis, caught him just before the tunnel and asked him for his autograph, he turned round and politely said f**k Off  

About 15/20 years ago I met him again at the Arthurlie Social Club for a testimonial quiz night for the long term Arthurlie manager {can't remember his name} He came over to speak to us, so I told him what he said all those years ago, he said we must have got beat and was in a bad mood I said no I think it was a Draw

Laughing he said I'll give you now if you want ? ?  I said naw f**k Off... that's 1 each I said... was all in good fun 

RIP Dennis 🙏

3 hours ago, guinness said:

Remember a display at Celtic Park where, I think , we lost 2-0. He gave the best goalkeeping display I have ever seen. Best of all the Saints keepers I saw.

I seem to recall him throwing the ball into his own net. I am probably misremembering but I know he did it with celtic. Am I wrong in thinking he did it with us as well? Great keeper nonetheless. RIP Dennis.

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I seem to recall him throwing the ball into his own net. I am probably misremembering but I know he did it with celtic. Am I wrong in thinking he did it with us as well? Great keeper nonetheless. RIP Dennis.

It was when he played for Celtic against Airdrie at Broomfield  It was on TV highlights and even Jock Stein was laughing I think Celtic were already a few in front

Greatest display from him for me was also a defeat , at Ibrox on Boxing Day 1970 , a week before the Ibrox disaster. We deserved a point that day , a point that in the long run would have saved us from relegation that season. John Greig scored with a screamer late in the game after Dave Smith beat Charlie Palmer on the wing and cut it back. Up to that point Denis had saved everything thrown at him. There is a pic (which i'm looking for) of Denis lying on the goal line in disgust after the goal went in !

1971-01-02-Celtic-0001-scaled.jpg

Edited by billyg

17 hours ago, Danny said:

It was when he played for Celtic against Airdrie at Broomfield  It was on TV highlights and even Jock Stein was laughing I think Celtic were already a few in front

As I said. I knew he did it for celtic. I just had it on the back of my mind he did the same with us. I just wanted to know if I'm mixing fact with fiction.

4 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

As I said. I knew he did it for celtic. I just had it on the back of my mind he did the same with us. I just wanted to know if I'm mixing fact with fiction.

I don’t think he did,I certainly have no memory of it