Motherwell Away 30 March

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got our tickets. Bus organised. Just me and the grandson as my missus is fed up with VAR. No matter what some say, I believe VAR IS turning folk off and the increase in numbers attending will be reversed as more and more people will vote with their feet in protest of this ridiculous interference in what was the beautiful game. Numbers were rising before the farce but I can't see more becoming involved while we have this micro management of our game.

Funny thing is, I was hopeful of VAR levelling things up by correcting the disparity in positive decisions for the @rsecheeks. In reality, it's just highlighted the ineptness of our officials and destroyed the atmosphere when a goal is scored.

Back to the game. Heart says narrow victory. Head says, best case scenario? Draw.

Edited by stlucifer

On 3/28/2024 at 6:43 AM, stlucifer said:

Got our tickets. Bus organised. Just me and the grandson as my missus is fed up with VAR. No matter what some say, I believe VAR IS turning folk off and the increase in numbers attending will be reversed as more and more people will vote with their feet in protest of this ridiculous interference in what was the beautiful game. Numbers were rising before the farce but I can't see more becoming involved while we have this micro management of our game.

Funny thing is, I was hopeful of VAR levelling things up by correcting the disparity in positive decisions for the @rsecheeks. In reality, it's just highlighted the ineptness of our officials and destroyed the atmosphere when a goal is scored.

Back to the game. Heart says narrow victory. Head says, best case scenario? Draw.

Instead of the usual criticism of officials what would be better is to look at the bodies that set the rules that the officials have to interpret. 

I challenge anybody to referee in today's environment but just remember we have VAR because fans and clubs couldn't accept the referees decision in the first place. You reap what you sow ??

7 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Instead of the usual criticism of officials what would be better is to look at the bodies that set the rules that the officials have to interpret. 

I challenge anybody to referee in today's environment but just remember we have VAR because fans and clubs couldn't accept the referees decision in the first place. You reap what you sow ??

VAR was brought in without the equipment to actually make it workable. It was meant to ASSIST the on field officials, and, by god, they needed assistance. BUT. The officials are still making the same "errors" even after micro-analysing every decision. The hidden officials are getting involved in situations they should leave alone. As I have already said, No slow or stop motion should be used to upgrade yellow cards as, most times, it makes any challenge look much worse than it is. It's the same for hand ball decisions for penalties. Slow the video down and you see a brush of a sleeve which is usually unintentional and isn't even enough to deviate the flight of the ball. Some of the off side decisions using our cheap system are laughable as we don't have enough cameras to judge them properly.

All in all. I think, given the controversy around the decisions, our form of VAR has actually made things worse and should be scrapped. The money would be far better spent on independent monitoring of officials' performances and for them to be accountable for any obvious atrocious or apparent bias decisions. Maybe then the smaller clubs wouldn't be so unfairly impacted by on field decisions as the officials would know they'd be scrutinised.

Edited by stlucifer

Not sure there many whining about VAR at the Aberdeen game penalty decision? 

I'm not saying that VAR has transpired into the game changer I'd hoped for but there's a massive exaggeration about the time's it's less than perfect.

It's what supporter's do, moan and IF any use VAR as some excuse to stop going they were far from interested in supporting the club anyway.  

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Not sure there many whining about VAR at the Aberdeen game penalty decision? 

I'm not saying that VAR has transpired into the game changer I'd hoped for but there's a massive exaggeration about the time's it's less than perfect.

It's what supporter's do, moan and IF any use VAR as some excuse to stop going they were far from interested in supporting the club anyway.  

Always better to be at a game for sure. Especially over the last couple of seasons. VAR is, IMO, a mixed blessing in that it is useful for very close offside decisions. However, the rule on handball is still open to much interpretation by different officials. An ex senior ref on radio recently read out the rule which appears to say simply that any handball in the box, whether accidental or not, should result in a penalty. I would still like more communication to the crowd on what is being looked at. I would rather the correct decision was made rather than a quick one. Re Motherwell game. We have our tickets and will be there. Often games full of incident and I expect this one to be no different. COYS

14 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Always better to be at a game for sure. Especially over the last couple of seasons. VAR is, IMO, a mixed blessing in that it is useful for very close offside decisions. However, the rule on handball is still open to much interpretation by different officials. An ex senior ref on radio recently read out the rule which appears to say simply that any handball in the box, whether accidental or not, should result in a penalty. I would still like more communication to the crowd on what is being looked at. I would rather the correct decision was made rather than a quick one. Re Motherwell game. We have our tickets and will be there. Often games full of incident and I expect this one to be no different. COYS

Enthralling.  😴😴😴

On 3/21/2024 at 1:33 AM, shull said:

Prediction

Motherwell 1 St Mirren 4

Estimated Attendance 5987

Marching on towards our next let down.

Maybe not 

Very confident that we will leather Motherwell this afternoon.

Open Aw Mics for me and for the first time , it will be televised.

Showing on BBC SCOTLAND.

12 hours ago, Rascal said:

IF VAR had improved the decision making I would be in favour. IMO, it hasn't. Our system is a cheap and nasty copy of the English version. Add to this my aforementioned concerns. The part of your post I highlighted is a real concern because we HAVE the long delays followed by the WRONG decision. A recipe for ridicule. As for the quote you inserted, (I don't see his posts unless he is quoted), It doesn't matter if it was for us or against us. It was still the wrong decision. The only thing I would say is,  In Paisley, they were wrongly awarded a goal with the last kick of the ball, even with VAR. 1 point instead of 3 points. We won 0-3. In Aberdeen. 3 points instead of, well, 3 points.

Edited by stlucifer

Good to see Ryan Strain back - but would have liked to see him team up with Connor McMenamin on the right as this combination provided a real attacking threat in the first part of the season.

Also a welcome return for James Bolton in the middle of the defence.

14 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Good to see Ryan Strain back - but would have liked to see him team up with Connor McMenamin on the right as this combination provided a real attacking threat in the first part of the season.

Also a welcome return for James Bolton in the middle of the defence.

Agreed with both but I cannot understand Kwon not getting a game, especially after the Killie car crash.

I like O'Hara and understand that he is the captain... but I'd have preferred to bring him on from the bench for leadership if needed, at least in the short term. 

Still... Gaffers choice so COYS.