Another Try?

Robo

I'm wondering what appetite there would be amongst the fans about organising and contributing to a new plan for a fan/community takeover of the club. I understand that for many the idea will have been soured after the 10000 hours experience, but I suspect that many of us still believe that fan ownership is still the best option.

While 10000 Hours ultimately failed, there is still much from that that could be built on, and lessons can be learned about what went well and what went wrong.

My own thoughts are that a new bid would have to be less complicated and should not involve taking on debt. It would also have to be over a longer period of time, and not necessarily aimed at buying from the current consortium, but perhaps the next opportunity.

As I've mentioned on another thread, I'm happy to put my money (tenner a month) where my mouth is, and get involved. Is anyone else thinking along the same lines, and would be interested in putting an idea together? Would folks be willing to pledge for a long term approach in the way they did for 10000 Hours?

No thanks. I'm out. The selling consortium formed, wanted 2 mil, now it's 1.5 mil, or whatever. They knocked back bids from GLS and 10000hours.

Five years, and still looking for an offer - and, we must presume, an offer that not only gives them the money they want, but comes from a person, or persons, who aren't dodgy geezers.

Where this combination of relative wealth / St Murrn-ness comes from?

Fcuk knows.

No thanks. I'm out. The selling consortium formed, wanted 2 mil, now it's 1.5 mil, or whatever. They knocked back bids from GLS and 10000hours.

Five years, and still looking for an offer - and, we must presume, an offer that not only gives them the money they want, but comes from a person, or persons, who aren't dodgy geezers.

Where this combination of relative wealth / St Murrn-ness comes from?

Fcuk knows.

That's fair enough.

If such a combination existed I think we'd have seen it by now. Sooner or later I think we'll need to be in a position to takeover.

With a decent plan in place I would be in.

There's the rub. 10000hours plan was far from perfect - obviously, or it would be in place now. Whether you liked it, hated it, or were somewhere in-between but willing to give it a go to the tune of a tenner a month... What cannot be disputed is that a lot of time and effort went into it.

Who is prepared to lead a new bid? Who could convince people their new vision of fan ownership knocked 10000hours version out the ballpark? Who has the time and the desire to be such a figurehead?

Who would be the new SG? Who would be with them in the St Mirren boardroom? Being filmed walking into Hampden to vote on behalf of St Mirren in the next Rangers-esque crisis? Would THEY be sausage roll thieves or miscreants?

Answers on a postcard to:

We huvnae' got an Ann Budge competition,

C/O PO BOX 1,500,000

Paisley.

If the consortium were to now be willing to accept payment in instalments then why reinvent the wheel. Just see if REA would be willing to put all the work that went into the initial two bids into practice and use 10000Hours as the vehicle for ownership.

If the support is to start this whole process again using a new proposal then I'd look at it on it's merits and if I felt that I could trust those running the bid to do their best for the local community in Paisley as well as looking after the best interests of the club then I'd still be willing to contribute.

There's the rub. 10000hours plan was far from perfect - obviously, or it would be in place now. Whether you liked it, hated it, or were somewhere in-between but willing to give it a go to the tune of a tenner a month... What cannot be disputed is that a lot of time and effort went into it.

Who is prepared to lead a new bid? Who could convince people their new vision of fan ownership knocked 10000hours version out the ballpark? Who has the time and the desire to be such a figurehead?

Who would be the new SG? Who would be with them in the St Mirren boardroom? Being filmed walking into Hampden to vote on behalf of St Mirren in the next Rangers-esque crisis? Would THEY be sausage roll thieves or miscreants?

Answers on a postcard to:

We huvnae' got an Ann Budge competition,

C/O PO BOX 1,500,000

Paisley.

All valid questions Poz. I'm not under any illusions that there wouldn't be challenges to face, but at this stage I don't think they would be insurmountable.

With regards to who would be future St Mirren chairman and who would be on the board, I think a lot of those questions were answered by 10000 Hours, ie the membership of the fans group (whatever form that might take) would vote to decide who they wanted.

As to a new bid, there may or may not be someone out there with the charisma to be the frontman/woman, but even if not, if we can get a team of people who are enthusiastic enough, and are prepared to put in the work then I think it can be successful. I suppose that's what this thread is about. Are there enough people willing to get involved? I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4 even. If not, it's over before it's started.

Any takers?

If the consortium were to now be willing to accept payment in instalments then why reinvent the wheel. Just see if REA would be willing to put all the work that went into the initial two bids into practice and use 10000Hours as the vehicle for ownership.

If the support is to start this whole process again using a new proposal then I'd look at it on it's merits and if I felt that I could trust those running the bid to do their best for the local community in Paisley as well as looking after the best interests of the club then I'd still be willing to contribute.

If the consortium were willing to accept installments, and REA was prepared to resurrect 10000 Hours, I'd most likely pledge my tenner again. But I suspect neither party would be up for that.

Totally agree that involvement with the local community is crucial.

With the club likely to be sold early in the new year I think the chance of fan control has gone.

Don't think it'd be gone forever, which is why I think we need to take a longer term approach.

Heard so many rumours over the years that the club is going to be bought over by Swiss/Dutch/American/Argentine/Fife(?!) businessmen, but the common factor in all of these is that it's not St Mirren folk involved.

Even if the sale does go through in the coming weeks, I don't see these people being in it for the long haul. And when they decide they want out we need to be ready to come in, rather than go through all this again.

With the club likely to be sold early in the new year I think the chance of fan control has gone.

I take it you have recently read the Secret Buyers thread ? From that I'm sure you know the Argies will fall into the 'Not Suitable Category' Therefor there will be no takeover in January.

I would also contribute to a monthly subscription though I still think 10,000 hours was the best opportunity missed. Maybe SMISA and the fans council could sit down and come up with a plan simply because it needs to be led by 'st mirren' people given the history of 10,000 hours.

If only we had an "Ann budge" type to head this up someone who supports St MIrren and also has a bit of money with the long term aim of passing the club onto the fans . What ever happened to Gordon Scott ? He seems to have disappeared . I would be more than happy to contribute to a "Saints foundation " type movement where the monthly direct debit was stored securely

Edited by gazmc83

I take it you have recently read the Secret Buyers thread ? From that I'm sure you know the Argies will fall into the 'Not Suitable Category' Therefor there will be no takeover in January.

I would also contribute to a monthly subscription though I still think 10,000 hours was the best opportunity missed. Maybe SMISA and the fans council could sit down and come up with a plan simply because it needs to be led by 'st mirren' people given the history of 10,000 hours.

Yep, wouldn't be surprised if the Argentine bid falls through, but think we need to mobilise the fan base either way.

If SMISA and/or the Fans Council were to put something together then brilliant, and I'd happily subscribe. Given that nothing has been put forward so far, I'd be concerned that hoping for others to come up with something will lead to nothing happening.

Glad to see that there still seems to be support for monthly subscriptions, but does anyone fancy getting involved in putting some 'flesh on the bones' of this idea. A 'Buddies Foundation' maybe?

When you hear about the pantomime (that's a seasonal variation on jawdropping clusterfuck) that was the The Rangers AGM this morning, it makes the concept of fan ownership all the more appealing. The very thought of a shower of shysters like that being anywhere near our club.....*shudders*

When you hear about the pantomime (that's a seasonal variation on jawdropping clusterfuck) that was the The Rangers AGM this morning, it makes the concept of fan ownership all the more appealing. The very thought of a shower of shysters like that being anywhere near our club.....*shudders*

Indeed - that you volunteering Drew? ;-)

We already have "fan ownership" of St. Mirren.

The problem is that as a result of the St. Mirren by and large ignoring the last 3 shares issues, the majority of shares are concentrated with a few individuals.

The very fact that the St, Mirren support ignored these share issues proves that any fan buyout at St. Mirren will never ever happen.

These were 3 opportunities where there was no work involved for the fans, nobody needed to organise it or lead it, no meetings, direct debits, etc, etc.

The fans just needed to dip into their pockets and shell out a couple of hundred quid and it would have been done.

But 3 times they ignored it, not caring of the club went bust or not, and let a handful of individuals save the club.

Saints fans owning St. Mirren?

It would be like letting the lunatics take over the asylum!

We already have "fan ownership" of St. Mirren.

The problem is that as a result of the St. Mirren by and large ignoring the last 3 shares issues, the majority of shares are concentrated with a few individuals.

The very fact that the St, Mirren support ignored these share issues proves that any fan buyout at St. Mirren will never ever happen.

These were 3 opportunities where there was no work involved for the fans, nobody needed to organise it or lead it, no meetings, direct debits, etc, etc.

The fans just needed to dip into their pockets and shell out a couple of hundred quid and it would have been done.

But 3 times they ignored it, not caring of the club went bust or not, and let a handful of individuals save the club.

Saints fans owning St. Mirren?

It would be like letting the lunatics take over the asylum!

OK, I'll put you down as a 'maybe' then.