Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Up until now - 136 different buildings - most have been Listed or have local historical significance. This image breaks that trend for now. I passed by this building last week and thought how imposing it looked. No clues - this is it in its full glory smile.png

PICTURE 137

post-2737-0-96682600-1395913784_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Up until now - 136 different buildings - most have been Lised or have local historical significance. This image breaks that trend for now. I passed by this building last week and thought how imposing it looked. No clues - this is it in its full glory smile.png

PICTURE 137

It's not in Paisley, though.

Yon's a blue sky above... :unsure:

Been talking recently about what was on Broomlands Street where the entrance to Gallow Green road is... cannot think or picture it! Can remember the old King street with tenement and the woodside park but just can't think what was on the Broomlands Street entrance to Gallow Green Road.

Can anyone remember?

I know where the Gallow Green is and how to access it. (Off Queen Street or off Maxwellton Street, but never off Broomlands...)

And I don't think I ever heard of Gallow Green Road. :unsure:

Presumed I was wrong but no sign of it on streetmap, either....

I'll look in the a.m. at some auld maps, for Gallow Green Road.

Was it not just a waste bit of land that was used as a car park? The Fish Van used to sit there....the Fishmonger had a hook for a hand....used to tell the gullible that a shark bit his hand off.....I believed him.

Obviously it had to be something before it was waste ground.....any of the oldies know?

Where's McD when you need him?

Guest TPAFKATS

I know where the Gallow Green is and how to access it. (Off Queen Street or off Maxwellton Street, but never off Broomlands...)

And I don't think I ever heard of Gallow Green Road. unsure.png

Presumed I was wrong but no sign of it on streetmap, either....

I'll look in the a.m. at some auld maps, for Gallow Green Road.

The new (ish) dual carriageway running from junction of Maxwellton / Broomlands under King St down to roundabout at Well St / Underwood Rd is called Gallow Green Road according to Google Earth.

The new (ish) dual carriageway running from junction of Maxwellton / Broomlands under King St down to roundabout at Well St / Underwood Rd is called Gallow Green Road according to Google Earth.

Ok, Ta, Tony. :)

Straight opposite Maxwellton Street was a row of tenements, between william Street and John Street before you reach King Street.

They blasted a route through that (and the gasworks) to create that new road - Gallow Green(?). :)

Here's an auld map that helps show how it looked, buddyholly9.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74964128

Dead easy to see with iPad, just expand the wee bit of map, of interest. My old eyes couldnae cope with the laptop view and lack of flexible magnification.

Guest TPAFKATS

Ok, Ta, Tony. smile.png

Straight opposite Maxwellton Street was a row of tenements, between william Street and John Street before you reach King Street.

They blasted a route through that (and the gasworks) to create that new road - Gallow Green(?). smile.png

Here's an auld map that helps show how it looked, buddyholly9.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74964128

Dead easy to see with iPad, just expand the wee bit of map, of interest. My old eyes couldnae cope with the laptop view and lack of flexible magnification.

I couldnt recall if it was just gallow green or gallow green road - that's why I quoted Google earth for the pedants out there whistling.gif

Street view confirms the signage as Gallow Green Rd.

Good auld map, but where is gallow green on it?

I couldnt recall if it was just gallow green or gallow green road - that's why I quoted Google earth for the pedants out there :whistle

Street view confirms the signage as Gallow Green Rd.

Good auld map, but where is gallow green on it?

The actual Gallow Green?

Just above the big G in High Church (in BIG letters.

Between Maxwellton and queen street.

Go in close. The positioning of the old wash poles is marked!

Was it not just a waste bit of land that was used as a car park? The Fish Van used to sit there....the Fishmonger had a hook for a hand....used to tell the gullible that a shark bit his hand off.....I believed him.

Obviously it had to be something before it was waste ground.....any of the oldies know?

Where's McD when you need him?

You talking about me? I was safely tucked up in bed at the time of your post.

A couple of years back I noticed the name Gallow Green Road and it certainly rang a bell from way back. Racked my brain but just can't remember. Nice name for a road.

There's a wee 'well' on the old, actual Green tucked behind the South side of Broomlands. (see above)

I never ever saw that (or remains of it) when I was a wean and playing in there, so I was a wee bit surprised going in there (in my 30s/40s) and seeing this neat wee 'well'.

Possibly there always was one there - but certainly a more recent tarting up, or just plain creating of a well - was done by the Cooncil - later.

Edited by bluto

Guest TPAFKATS

There's a wee 'well' on the old, actual Green tucked behind the South side of Broomlands. (see above)

I never ever saw that (or remains of it) when I was a wean and playing in there, so I was a wee bit surprised going in there (in my 30s/40s) and seeing this neat wee 'well'.

Possibvy there always was one there - but certainly a more recent tarting up, or just plain creating of a well - was done by the Cooncil - later.

So, now it's a bonnie® wee well?