Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I think you'll find it's actually Kelburne lol.gif

Nil Points for attempting to 'out-pedant' the pedant there Salmonbuddie.

You sure about that, Eddy? I wasn't and googled both spellings. Google asked "Did you mean Kelburn Cinema Paisley?" when I used the "e"

You sure about that, Eddy? I wasn't and googled both spellings. Google asked "Did you mean Kelburn Cinema Paisley?" when I used the "e"

I was already sure of the spelling - my nephew played for Kelburne Hockey Club, my auntie used to live in Kelburne Oval, I used to walk by the Kelburne Cinema every day and this very morning I visited the Kelburne Dental Practice, but.......I am NOT a silly girl, do you seriously think, after you accused Bluto of misspelling and boobed, that I would even risk posting a correction without triple checking it first? (Especially with the BAWA's resident spelling expert watching closely!)

p.s. - there should be a smilie on the end there, but I too am suffering from use of the iPad and can't find them.

I think everyone is younger than Bluto :) .

I do remember the Picture House and the Fountain but think I was only in there once as a kid. Although I stayed in the West End we would walk to the Kelburne and not think anything of it. Probably went to the Regal just as much as it was the nearest. I have some recollections of the La Scala which had a fantastic frontage.

In my young courting days it was always the Kelburne for that first date because, as Bluto states, it was in the First Div of Paisley cinemas and the best with the La scala next in my opinion. Seems like a long time ago now.

Don't rely on Google.

The cinema called itself 'Kelburne'. smile.png

http://www.paisleyph...as(2688123).htm

It's Kelburne without a doubt. The Earls of Glasgow owned huge chunks of Paisley and the Kelburne name was kind of trasplanted into Paisley from the estate in Largs. One of the Earls of Glasgow in the 19th.century gambled away the equivalent of hundreds of millions in todays terms and the Boyle family had to sell all the lands in Paisley. The eldest son is called Lord Kelburne until the old boy dies.

Bluto, did you never come across Patrick Boyle when he was a producer with STV? You did some kind of TV work at one time, did you not?

Don't rely on Google.

The cinema called itself 'Kelburne'. smile.png

http://www.paisleyph...as(2688123).htm

I was already sure of the spelling - my nephew played for Kelburne Hockey Club, my auntie used to live in Kelburne Oval, I used to walk by the Kelburne Cinema every day and this very morning I visited the Kelburne Dental Practice, but.......I am NOT a silly girl, do you seriously think, after you accused Bluto of misspelling and boobed, that I would even risk posting a correction without triple checking it first? (Especially with the BAWA's resident spelling expert watching closely!)

p.s. - there should be a smilie on the end there, but I too am suffering from use of the iPad and can't find them.

Fair enough, i did wonder (which is why I carefully worded my original post as a question if you read it again smile.png ) but think there was only one google suggestion of "Kelburne" and loads of "Kelburn" so al least I'm not alone in being wrong. For a change!

Never with STV.

Don't know the name.

I met him a couple of times but I didn't really know him. A friend of mine Jimmy Neill used to run the licenced grocer in Fairlie and Patrick was a keen customer. A crowd of us went sea fishing on a boat off Fairlie and Jimmy introduced this stranger as Lord Kelburne's head gamekeeper but he was too plummy voiced for us to swallow that. Later back in the bar the truth came out after a lot of alcohol was consumed. Because we were nearly all Paisley fellas (And Saints fans) he told us about his family connections to Paisley. You should have heard what he had to say about his ancestor who blew the family jewels. Anyway. he told us that night it should be Kelburne ie.with an 'e'.

PS. It was beautiful that day, dead quiet with a flat calm sea. Without any sign a bloody great submarine surfaced quite close to us. I've literally never had a bigger fright in my life. It was damned near collective evacuation of the bowels. When guys came up on deck they were pissing themselves laughing and we called them names you never read in the bible. Bastards!

PICTURE 107 is indeed the Watermill Hotel or should I say the old Saucel Mill. C Listed.

The old Mill was converted to a Hotel in 1968 But I can find very little information about the Saucel Mill. Anyone else got some info?

There are some great photos here

http://canmore.rcahm...atermill

and I have attached a few below.

Out of interest across the road from the Saucel Mill, where the Bingo Hall now is, was once the Saucel Distillery, one of the biggest in Scotland. See

http://whiskystory.b...ry-paisley.html for more information. Close by was also the Saucel Shipyard.

post-2737-0-59188800-1353925626_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-66870700-1353925736_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-97470200-1353925783_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-25220600-1353925796_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-48582700-1353925831_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-24156100-1353925851_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-47593300-1353926249_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

There's some interesting stuff about the Watermill site, some old pictures of Saucel Mill and some old maps on the link below which is the archaeological study carried out into the site before the recent Watermill extension was built.

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-706-1/dissemination/pdf/rathmell1-74049_1.pdf

Thanks, Eddy - interesting.... in the... er... lack of anything interesting coming out of the ground. No pictish burial pits, nor Roman inhumations.... :)

Helped me though, in something that's been bothering me - the meaning and derivation of Saucel.

Couldnae find it anywhere but that report mentions the Saucel Ford - the crossable part of the Cart.

And it strikes me, now, that Saucel could be a corruption of the Gaelic, Sorcha - cos the shallow waters where the Ford was (near the current Bridges between the Abbey and Watermill) is lighter and bubbly as the water sparkles across the shingle banks.

Sorcha - Brightness, light, radiating, clear, conspicuous...

Like in a description, "You'll see the ford easily. It's bright, clear, conspicuous".

As they say.... just a thought. :rolleyes:

Ta. :)

(Cannae get anywhere with Bladda - mibbe it's from Bladaidh in Gaelic - flatterer....? But why? :unsure: )

When I was a boy, I loved Snodgrass's peas brose meal made into a kind of porridge. It sometimes looked like diarrhea on a plate, but was luvvverlyy

Behind the wa in the Snodgrass pic, there was a canteen, IIRC. Cheap meals in a stone built place that looked like a school canteen - and I think it operated as that during WWII for fire wardens, ARP, POLIS AMBULANCE etc and just continued in the Fifties thru rationing. Did you eat Snodgrass' brose in there?

Thanks, Eddy - interesting.... in the... er... lack of anything interesting coming out of the ground. No pictish burial pits, nor Roman inhumations.... smile.png

Helped me though, in something that's been bothering me - the meaning and derivation of Saucel.

Couldnae find it anywhere but that report mentions the Saucel Ford - the crossable part of the Cart.

And it strikes me, now, that Saucel could be a corruption of the Gaelic, Sorcha - cos the shallow waters where the Ford was (near the current Bridges between the Abbey and Watermill) is lighter and bubbly as the water sparkles across the shingle banks.

Like in a description, "You'll see the ford easily. It's bright, clear, conspicuous".

As they say.... just a thought. rolleyes.gif

Ta. smile.png

(Cannae get anywhere with Bladda - mibbe it's from Bladaidh in Gaelic - flatterer....? But why? unsure.png )

Whats Gaelic for prostitute?

Thanks, Eddy - interesting.... in the... er... lack of anything interesting coming out of the ground. No pictish burial pits, nor Roman inhumations.... smile.png

As they say.... just a thought. rolleyes.gif

Ta. smile.png

(Cannae get anywhere with Bladda - mibbe it's from Bladaidh in Gaelic - flatterer....? But why? unsure.png )

On the extract from the Pont map is it not spelt Sairsail? Or is this refering to somewhere further west? If it is referring to Saucel then a suggested interpretation might be sieve stones (or stepping stones) referring to the stone outcrops of the hamils? cOr I could be talking Sh*te it has been known to happenbiggrin.png

Behind the wa in the Snodgrass pic, there was a canteen, IIRC. Cheap meals in a stone built place that looked like a school canteen - and I think it operated as that during WWII for fire wardens, ARP, POLIS AMBULANCE etc and just continued in the Fifties thru rationing. Did you eat Snodgrass' brose in there?

Is that the old BR canteen as it was known? A stack of Camphill pupils, including me, used to go there at lunchtimes.

You're right about Sairsail and the Wood map has the track beside the Cart as Sacel or Sacal...

But how'd you get to 'sieve stones' from there....? unsure.png

Apparently Sairse means sieve

sail (seol) can mean a lot of things but possibly stones and even path. I know its a bit airy fairy