Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

PICTURE 102 was quite quickly sussed. It is indeed the Sir James Clark Building down at the Anchor Mill complex. Not Listed (as far as I know). I also know he-haw about it so if anyone has any info I would be delighted to hear from them.

Eddy nor Bluto didn't seem to like it much but I think it has its merits. I like the fact it hasn't been demolished and that a building with history and character (ok, down to personal taste) and been utilised into something practical. It isn't up there with TG's works of art however it does have a more industrial look that I like. I also like the colour scheme and think it brightens up the area.

This building being featured is also in response to DS Susan's request for maybe some more modern or non-listed building being included in our journey around Paisley. So this for is for you smile.png

post-2737-0-36954000-1350380693_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

PICTURE 102 was quite quickly sussed. It is indeed the Sir James Clark Building down at the Anchor Mill complex. Not Listed (as far as I know). I also know he-haw about it so if anyone has any info I would be delighted to hear from them.

Eddy nor Bluto didn't seem to like it much but I think it has its merits. I like the fact it hasn't been demolished and that a building with history and character (ok, down to personal taste) and been utilised into something practical. It asn't up there with TG's works of art however it does have a more industrial look that I like. I also like the colour scheme and think it brightens up the area.

This building being featured is also in response to DS Susan's request for maybe some more modern or non-listed building being included in our journey around Paisley. So this for is for you smile.png

I worked in that building a few years back and one of our customers worked in the mill and he was able to tell me that this building was used for (sorry dont know technical name for this process) when the threads are spun they are still all hairy and not like thread. They are then passed over flames, this removes these hairs. He explained that this was the reason for so many fire sprinklers on the roof. Hope this helps. If I remember right there is a small museum in the mile end building (one with Chimney) which is run by some ex workers I am sure they could give you more info on this building and in fact confirm the story that I have been told..

Cheers Alan. I have been in the Mill Museum and its worth a look with hundreds of photos and a wee film show. All for free. I didn't ask about the Sir James Clark Building but that gives me an excuse to go back to the wee museum.

I worked in that building a few years back and one of our customers worked in the mill and he was able to tell me that this building was used for (sorry dont know technical name for this process) when the threads are spun they are still all hairy and not like thread. They are then passed over flames, this removes these hairs. He explained that this was the reason for so many fire sprinklers on the roof. Hope this helps. If I remember right there is a small museum in the mile end building (one with Chimney) which is run by some ex workers I am sure they could give you more info on this building and in fact confirm the story that I have been told..

Mercerising then Gassing... where the threid's passed through gas flames... It toughens the threads up.

Under the ownership of the Hamiltons, those buildings decayed into Bawdy Houses and were deployed for other disreputable uses. So bad/embarrassing did it get, that the Local Parish... (the Abbey's West End was still functioning as the local Kirk, even though the Tower and East End were open to the Skies and ruinous, whilst the Hamiltons used the Chapel beside the Place of Paisley for their own personal use)... ...the local Parish bought it from the Hamiltons and set about clearing it oot.

AFAIK, no nurses were involved in THAT edifice.

Edited by bluto

PICTURE 103 correctly identified by most (but not all smile.png ) as the Place of Paisley. Built 17th century. A Listed.

From the Official Abbey website ...

'The sole remaining part of the extensive monastery associated with the Abbey. After the reformation, the monastic property was transferred to the ownership of the Hamilton family, then later to the Cochrane family. In 1684, Jean Cochrane was married in the Abbey to Graham of Claverhouse (Bonny Dundee). The palace of Paisley (whence the modern-day 'place') eventually fell into disrepair until it was bought back by the Abbey in 1904. Today, it houses the shop and cafe, choir rehearsal room and accomodation for meetings etc.'

And as has been mentioned by Bluto and Eddy the building was also used a tenement and a pub.

PICTURE 103

post-2737-0-65227300-1350556443_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-90366200-1350556615_thumb.jp

Thanks for the supplementary pix, Sonny.

I've been in The Place for tablet, tea and a pee many times but never ventured beyond those opportunities.

(Was that an Open Day?)

"sole remaining part of the extensive monastery"

What amazes me when you see the really old maps is how extensive the walled grounds were.

EG Walneuk Kirk is situated in (obviously, when ye think about it) ) a corner of the old Abbey walls... and that's quite a step away from what I thought might be the size of it.

Cheers Bluto. Yea it was Doors Open day - the only day of the year it is open to the Public which is a shame. It was pretty mobbed that day.

As an A Listed building right next to another one that is open every day then having the Place open even one day a month would be good.

Do you have a link to any map that shows the extent of the Abbey grounds?

PS Thanks for your contributions to this thread.

Do you have a link to any map that shows the extent of the Abbey grounds?

I might have noticed it on a map at the screened section within the Abbey. Where, other than displays about Cluniac monks and the Abbey Drain, it also mentions Abbey Records showing the first-ever documented mention of the sport of curling. (In a bet made between the Heid o the Abbey and some ither Buddie...)

I'll have a skite round old maps I've seen, to try to pick that up for here.

33fdetail.jpgThis is the Pont map of 1583-1601 from the national library of Scotland. The town looks as if it bigger than the monastry. no indication that wallneuk is in the abby grounds at this point, I take that back wallneuk is mentioned, but over on the other side of the Cart. However Maps might not be all that accurate. Could the Wallkneuk congregation have built a new church in a new location? Edited by insaintee

33fdetail.jpgThis is the point map of 1583-1601from the national library of Scotland. The town looks as if it bigger than the monastry. no indication that wallneuk is in the abby grounds at this point, I take that back wallneuk is mentioned, but over on the other side of the Cart. However Maps might not be all that accurate. Could the Wallkneuk congregation have built a new church in a new location?

Good job, insaintee. smile.png

On your map, Wallneuk's same side of Cart but, aye... appears outside the drawn walls.

I'm sure I've read/seen somewhere that the name comes from being built insIde the Abbey Walls and that's why it clung to my mind.

ETA:

The following from the Kirk's Website:

In April 1913, the then Synod of Glasgow of the United Free Church of Scotland elected Wallneuk into a charge, thus was created the last United Free Church in the town of Paisley.

The congregation dates from 1913 although the roots are much older. Before 1913 there were local men and women in the immediate area who met regularly for prayer and meditation on the Word of God.

The name Wallneuk is woven into local history as according to tradition the land on which the church is built was the neuk (corner) of the garden of Abbot of Paisley.

Edited by bluto

Well done guys. Every day is a school day smile.png

Edit to add: Walneuk should probably appear where the word Abbey appears on the map (both are on the same (correct) side of the Cart). Probably didn't have a Font Size 8 quill handy and had to squeeze it in on the other size of their wee drawing. smile.png

Edited by Sonny

Good job, insaintee. smile.png

On your map, Wallneuk's same side of Cart but, aye... appears outside the drawn walls.

I'm sure I've read/seen somewhere that the name comes from being built insIde the Abbey Walls and that's why it clung to my mind.

ETA:

The following from the Kirk's Website:

In April 1913, the then Synod of Glasgow of the United Free Church of Scotland elected Wallneuk into a charge, thus was created the last United Free Church in the town of Paisley.

The congregation dates from 1913 although the roots are much older. Before 1913 there were local men and women in the immediate area who met regularly for prayer and meditation on the Word of God.

The name Wallneuk is woven into local history as according to tradition the land on which the church is built was the neuk (corner) of the garden of Abbot of Paisley.

The garden of the Abbot is not necessarily the same as the Abbey grounds. Remember that Abbots were allowed to marry in some orders, and often had their own palace separtate from the abbey (e.g. Spynie). Abbots kept these palaces even after they were no longer allowed to marry (but were still allowed to co-habit)