Bt Sport On Virgin Media

Master Yoda

Thanks for the heads-up Drew, I've just downgraded from XL and cancelled Sky Sports - like you I seldom watched the XL channels, my daughter is the only one upset as we've list the Disney channels (thank God). I've since subscribed to "Sky Sports TV" app on my Apple devices - you get all Sky Sports channels on your multiple apple devices for 4.99 a month - good enough for me and a fraction of the price I was paying Virgin (£25.75 a month)

Thanks for the heads-up Drew, I've just downgraded from XL and cancelled Sky Sports - like you I seldom watched the XL channels, my daughter is the only one upset as we've list the Disney channels (thank God). I've since subscribed to "Sky Sports TV" app on my Apple devices - you get all Sky Sports channels on your multiple apple devices for 4.99 a month - good enough for me and a fraction of the price I was paying Virgin (£25.75 a month)

Funnily enough Stevie, I did ask my daughters (aged 19 & 15) what channels - aside from the usual stuff - they watched, and the only thing they thought they might miss was being able to watch re-runs of Friends on Comedy Central. Given that they've now seen every episode at least half a dozen times, I confirmed that I wouldn't be paying £15 a month for them to catch the odd episode for the umpteenth time when they were bored with studying or talking shite on Facebook etc. To be fair, they were pretty indifferent.

It would be interesting to know just how often people genuinely watch the drivel that is included in the mega TV packages. Folk who enjoy watching sport can - as you have done - subscribe seperately, so that needn't be an issue. If I'm being honest, I'm just annoyed that I didn't think to downgrade before now. Not least if I could have saved myself the best part of £200 a year in the processdry.png

Yup. it makes a massive difference.

As it happens, I've just downgraded my TV package. We don't watch it that often, truth be told (despite just buying an all-singing, all-dancing 3D, smart affair1eye.gif ), and very seldom bothered with the 4.8 million channels in the XL package. I'm saving myself £15 a month, now, and getting a TiVo box installed into the bargain, so, all-in-all, it has worked out quite well.

My upgrade cost me £3 more, but that will be offset by the fact that I now get free phone calls and the superhub 2.

You're correct though, that most of the channels are f**king rubbish. I record anything that I deem to be decent during the week and watch it at the weekend mostly.

I record anything that I deem to be decent during the week and watch it at the weekend mostly.

Likewise. This is why I asked for a TiVo box. The guy on the phone seemed to think it a bit odd that I was asking for this while downgrading, but I explained that we don't watch much TV, but do like to record decent stuff (eg: a good drama series like The Street, or a run of The Thick Of It) and watch it when it suits. The standard V+ box didn't have sufficient memory, and I was having to delete stuff that I hadn't had the opportunity to watch, so the TiVo makes sense.

Righto, think I'm gonna downgrade my XL package as well, don't watch the vast majority of it either, the only thing I'd miss would be the Discovery/Nat Geo channels, but then again I think I've watched all their output 5 times over and brand new stuff is rare. I like BBC4 a lot for it's mix of good docs and music stuff.

As for HD channels, I generally only watch BBC stuff too, BBC 3, 4, Cbeebies, CBBC and the News Channel will soon be going HD as well and available on all platforms to licence fee payers, so again no need for a premium package there either. Anyone missing back to back reruns of Friends can get an all seasons dvd box set for about £30 now...

Righto, think I'm gonna downgrade my XL package as well, don't watch the vast majority of it either, the only thing I'd miss would be the Discovery/Nat Geo channels, but then again I think I've watched all their output 5 times over and brand new stuff is rare. I like BBC4 a lot for it's mix of good docs and music stuff.

As for HD channels, I generally only watch BBC stuff too, BBC 3, 4, Cbeebies, CBBC and the News Channel will soon be going HD as well and available on all platforms to licence fee payers, so again no need for a premium package there either. Anyone missing back to back reruns of Friends can get an all seasons dvd box set for about £30 now...

On the back of reading all comments , I have just downgraded to M+ and saving £18 a month and not much change in channels :) happy days

I downgrade my sky every year and sometimes cancel it. They give you decent deals over the phone at this stage but the deals you get through the post over the next couple of months are even better.

Right now I'm getting HD free of charge, multitoom for £5 and the complete package half price for 12 months.

Edited by davidg

I downgrade my sky every year and sometimes cancel it. They give you decent deals over the phone at this stage but the deals you get through the post over the next couple of months are even better.

Right now I'm getting HD free of charge, multitoom for £5 and the complete package half price for 12 months.

This is pretty much what I was doing, but realised I was tending to look for more for the same money. That's okay if you're using it, but I realised I could tailor a more appropriate package for myself and also save money.

After flicking through the multitude of pish in the mega TV package, it occurred to me that it was ridiculous to be paying for them all when, in reality, we use a tiny fraction of those available.

I much prefer the slimmed down package. I now feel leaner, meaner, and vastly superior to everyone else. Now, where did I put my American Psycho DVD...?

Edited by Drew

That's right. ESPN back on and BT Sport on channels 547, 548 and HD on 549 and 550

I'm watching it now in HD. Bugger, gonna have to keep that feckin XL package now... lol.gif

In other news, though... apparently someone in government would like to know how much BT Sport paid for their sports contracts and where the government money allocated to improve rural broadband connections has been spent ? Hmmm...

Edited by FS

I'm watching it now in HD. Bugger,  gonna have to keep that feckin XL package now... Posted Image

In other news, though... apparently someone in government would like to know how much BT Sport paid for their sports contracts and where the government money allocated to improve rural broadband connections has been spent ?  Hmmm...

Is it staying as part of the xl package?

I friggin downgraded my package .

I'll still be on the phone though as I currently pay around £60 per month for XL tv package with a V+ box, and 20mb broadband with old school NTL modem and my own Wi-Fi router.. Their Premiere package offers up to 60mb broadband, super hub router, XL tv with a 500gb Tivo box and a spare standard HD box for another room plus other stuff for something like just over £55 (half price for 6 months) per month. No doubt I'll phone to be told it's just for new customers, like all their feckin offers !

I,m with virgin for tv,broadband and phone but was going to change my tv to sky so that I could take my box to the caravan at weekends.I was also considering changing my broadband and phone to bt so that I could get internet access at the caravan also as it appears that bt on the go is the only means of wifi connection on the site.I currently get 3g but this does not allow for streaming football on bet365 and takes forever to load b+w army etc.Any suggestions on what packages would be the best would be appreciated.

I'll still be on the phone though as I currently pay around £60 per month for XL tv package with a V+ box, and 20mb broadband with old school NTL modem and my own Wi-Fi router.. Their Premiere package offers up to 60mb broadband, super hub router, XL tv with a 500gb Tivo box and a spare standard HD box for another room plus other stuff for something like just over £55 (half price for 6 months) per month. No doubt I'll phone to be told it's just for new customers, like all their feckin offers !

Defo give them a call. Haggled with them a few months back and got 2 TiVo boxes, super hub, and an additional HD box and ended up paying less than I was previously.

To change your package, phone retentions and threaten to leave, they will then offer you something added, e.g. the package you have just mentioned

I was in the same position about 6 months ago . Phoned them and was given the premium package without any argument was given an extra box and super hub with 60gig .They waived the installation fee as I had already paid for a Tivo box .