The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's not an Alicsammin popularity contest - the fact that you STILL havent grasped this yet sums up your level of knowledge in the debate.

Where is this bad news you speak of?

Do you mean Lord Digby Jones being opposed to Scotland being an Independent country - or ermine clad westminster establishment man says naw...meh! (as a London pedant might say). Dont you recal lthe reputation Jones had when he was head of the CBI? He was roundly ridiculed by both the workers, press and his own members on many occasions.

Or do you mean whisky exports?

The Scotch Whisky Association reported that the value of sales was pretty much the same as last year. If you actually read into their report you will see that the volume of sales rose, they just didnt make increased value on those extra bottles. This is due to a drop off in premium brand sales. Bad news for Diageo and the other foreign owners (and their shareholders), not such bad news for folks working in the industry in Scotland as they are producing more to meet demand.

You also imply that uk consulates and embassies in 270 countries are actively promoting the Scotch whisky industry - that's just pish!

You havent actually shown anything about the Uk holding up sales for the whisky industry. Come on, seriously - are you thinking of trying stand up at an open mike night?

You have also taken comments from an ex CBI chief who is now a lord, (hey that's how the system works!), and also a guy who spent his career in the diplomatic service (before using his contacts to get a position in the Whisky Industry). So 2 chaps who are pretty much as establishment as it gets - you think its "news" that they wish the establishment to remain. Turkeys and christmas...

Talking about the CBI - all is not well as some of its members are getting a wee bit anxious at their organisation deciding they are against independence without consulting them first. Similar to the unions then...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-27077436

In other business news BP announce that they are investing in Shetland - its a long term plan looking at around 30 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-27070041

Interesting for a couple of reasons - its only a month or two since their chairman was telling us that Independence would be armageddon or catastrophic or whatever the latest term is. The second reason is that I recall a westminster types, "respected think tanks" and also better together telling us that the oil would be gone soon (as soon as 2018) and we couldn't survive without it

And then as predicted Tony responds with smear after smear lashing it about liberally and randomly at anyone mentioned in my post yet failing to take the debate on. :rolleyes:

1. Digby Jones said f**k all about Independence in his programme. Not a jot. Nothing negative or positive. He was simply trying to assist a small Scottish knitwear company to survive and hopefully expand their market. He suggested China, the Textile Association in London suggested Japan. The reason for suggesting both was because luxury goods from the UK were the kind of things that the Chinese and the Japanese actually sought after. If you watched the programme you'd understand how ridiculous your smears are in this context. Even during the course of the show he managed to get the company to employ some youngsters as apprentices - I suppose helping to combat the effects of having an SNP government in Hollyrood where their policies mean unemployment in Scotland is bucking the UK trend and rising....:rolleyes:

2. Here we are talking about Scotland's second biggest export. Scottish Whisky has been hailed by Alex Salmond as a national treasure. He wastes no time at all in espousing the wonders of the industry and hails it as an example of how all Scottish companies will be in an Independent Scotland. Yet when an industry expert speaks out in the most diplomatic way possible to express his concern that his industry is about to see the number of retail outlets available to it cut by almost 75%, you, from your position of complete ignorance seek to question his competence and expertise in understanding the importance of consulates and embassies to his industries export business. Still trust a Nat to bite the hand that feeds. It's something of a common occurrence with this SNP government. Here we see the importance to our economy of our exports to the US and yet it wasn't all that long ago that Alex Salmond and Ken McAskill sought to antagonise and outrage all US citizens when they released the Lockerbie Bomber - a convicted mass murderer who killed 189 US citizens - after serving only 8 years of his life sentence.

Let me ask you again Tony - what exactly do you think the effect on exports of Scottish Whisky will be when the number of consulates supporting the marketing and protecting the brand overseas goes from 270 down to 70 at the stroke of a referendum pencil? What effect will that shrinking market have on the new Natsi states GDP figures? What effect will that have on the levels of taxation that will be garnered from what is currently Scotlands second most important product? What effect do you imagine those falling sales will have on jobs?

I look forward to you ignoring the key issues yet again and I can't wait to see your next set of smears......:rolleyes:

And then as predicted Tony responds with smear after smear lashing it about liberally and randomly at anyone mentioned in my post yet failing to take the debate on. rolleyes.gif

1. Digby Jones said f**k all about Independence in his programme. Not a jot. Nothing negative or positive. He was simply trying to assist a small Scottish knitwear company to survive and hopefully expand their market. He suggested China, the Textile Association in London suggested Japan. The reason for suggesting both was because luxury goods from the UK were the kind of things that the Chinese and the Japanese actually sought after. If you watched the programme you'd understand how ridiculous your smears are in this context. Even during the course of the show he managed to get the company to employ some youngsters as apprentices - I suppose helping to combat the effects of having an SNP government in Hollyrood where their policies mean unemployment in Scotland is bucking the UK trend and rising....rolleyes.gif

2. Here we are talking about Scotland's second biggest export. Scottish Whisky has been hailed by Alex Salmond as a national treasure. He wastes no time at all in espousing the wonders of the industry and hails it as an example of how all Scottish companies will be in an Independent Scotland. Yet when an industry expert speaks out in the most diplomatic way possible to express his concern that his industry is about to see the number of retail outlets available to it cut by almost 75%, you, from your position of complete ignorance seek to question his competence and expertise in understanding the importance of consulates and embassies to his industries export business. Still trust a Nat to bite the hand that feeds. It's something of a common occurrence with this SNP government. Here we see the importance to our economy of our exports to the US and yet it wasn't all that long ago that Alex Salmond and Ken McAskill sought to antagonise and outrage all US citizens when they released the Lockerbie Bomber - a convicted mass murderer who killed 189 US citizens - after serving only 8 years of his life sentence.

Let me ask you again Tony - what exactly do you think the effect on exports of Scottish Whisky will be when the number of consulates supporting the marketing and protecting the brand overseas goes from 270 down to 70 at the stroke of a referendum pencil? What effect will that shrinking market have on the new Natsi states GDP figures? What effect will that have on the levels of taxation that will be garnered from what is currently Scotlands second most important product? What effect do you imagine those falling sales will have on jobs?

I look forward to you ignoring the key issues yet again and I can't wait to see your next set of smears......rolleyes.gif

have you really really got nothing else to do at half past 2 in the morning?

Guest TPAFKATS

And then as predicted Tony responds with smear after smear lashing it about liberally and randomly at anyone mentioned in my post yet failing to take the debate on. rolleyes.gif

1. Digby Jones said f**k all about Independence in his programme. Not a jot. Nothing negative or positive. He was simply trying to assist a small Scottish knitwear company to survive and hopefully expand their market. He suggested China, the Textile Association in London suggested Japan. The reason for suggesting both was because luxury goods from the UK were the kind of things that the Chinese and the Japanese actually sought after. If you watched the programme you'd understand how ridiculous your smears are in this context. Even during the course of the show he managed to get the company to employ some youngsters as apprentices - I suppose helping to combat the effects of having an SNP government in Hollyrood where their policies mean unemployment in Scotland is bucking the UK trend and rising....rolleyes.gif

I look forward to you ignoring the key issues yet again and I can't wait to see your next set of smears......rolleyes.gif

I started to reply to the lies and pish you have spouted on a line by line basis however life's too short and its a glorious day out there.

Mibees people would be more inclined to believe you if you stopped the outrageous untruths and focused on telling the truth once in a while - you dont seem able to help yourself though. Hopefully you wont take this as a smear...

Why would he want to do that when he's on another liar liar misson about the amount of consulates Scotland will have in the future.

The article and the quote from the ex diplomat who is Chief Executive of Scottish Whisky says 70 as opposed to the 270 the UK government has. In a Scotsman article on the 30th of January 2013 Nicola Sturgeon claimed that Scotland would have 100 embassies. However in the same article she also claimed that this was dependent on the Canadian Government extending a "memorandum of understanding" that it has with the Westminster Government to share 30 premises around the world. Given the respective dates of the articles I would conclude that Canada has told Scotland to get to f**k. Rather amusingly it also appears that Nicola Sturgeon believes that the Westminster Government would provide it's diplomatic and intelligence services to an Independent Scotland for free. :rolleyes:

I started to reply to the lies and pish you have spouted on a line by line basis however life's too short and its a glorious day out there.

Mibees people would be more inclined to believe you if you stopped the outrageous untruths and focused on telling the truth once in a while - you dont seem able to help yourself though. Hopefully you wont take this as a smear...

What? You want me not to see you calling me a liar as a smear?

Right then......:rolleyes:

I've just seen the headline on The Sunday Post in my local garage. I assume the 40% who don't trust MP's are Scottish voters. Which begs the question, does that mean 60% do trust their politicians? If that's true, God help Scotland. The old adage about getting the government you deserve is probably true.

Guest TPAFKATS

I've just seen the headline on The Sunday Post in my local garage. I assume the 40% who don't trust MP's are Scottish voters. Which begs the question, does that mean 60% do trust their politicians? If that's true, God help Scotland. The old adage about getting the government you deserve is probably true.

Didnt see the paper Rick, however I read the online story about 39% of those polled not trusting the info coming from both sides of the referendum debate. unsure.png

Didnt see the paper Rick, however I read the online story about 39% of those polled not trusting the info coming from both sides of the referendum debate. unsure.png

I did only see the headline and as we know they can be and regularly are misleading. I can understand the mistrust felt for both sides but am genuinely surprised that only 39% think that. I simply never trust what any MP says during an election campaign. Before the howls of 'This isn't an election!' start, with a general election next year I feel this is a de facto election and will have big repurcussions for who will get re-elected next year. One thing that's for sure is that the outcome of the referendum won't be decided over the next four months. Like every other election, floating voters will make up their minds only during the last few days in September.

We had a family gathering over here the weekend before last and we had a lot of relatives and friends from Scotland with us. There were plenty of 'Yes' people and plenty of 'No's' too. The only thing they agreed about was they are all heartily sick of the campaign already and feel that neither side comes out of it with much credit.

Yep, it's not going to get any better. The Yes Campaign still won't be producing any evidence, and the No Campaign will stick to the tactics that are working for them and in between it all is a very small number of voters who claim that they still haven't decided and who will most likely not vote on the day.

The whole referendum campaign has gone on far too long. Most people know how they are going to answer the question and there's nothing being presented to them that will make them change their mind. I'll confidently predict right now that in September the No Campaign will win easily with around about twice the number of votes that the Yes Campaign gets.

Guest TPAFKATS

The latest poll in the Scotsman is No = 42% Yes = 39% Don't know = 19%

The don't know was then asked if the Tory's looked like getting back in to power would that affect you're vote. Most said they would vote yes for independence.

There will be tories in power after next westminster election, just a question of whether its blue or red tories

Yep, it's not going to get any better. The Yes Campaign still won't be producing any evidence, and the No Campaign will stick to the tactics that are working for them and in between it all is a very small number of voters who claim that they still haven't decided and who will most likely not vote on the day.

The whole referendum campaign has gone on far too long. Most people know how they are going to answer the question and there's nothing being presented to them that will make them change their mind. I'll confidently predict right now that in September the No Campaign will win easily with around about twice the number of votes that the Yes Campaign gets.

you do know that the campaign period has not started yet, dont you? Only certain thing is that tings will change

Late last year, polls (remember them, Stu?) indicated that the swing from No to Yes required was around 15%. It is now 2%....

This is according to a Herald commentator who was interviewed on Radio Scotland this morning.

Guest TPAFKATS

I see the clunking fist is in Glasgow today, speaking to an invited audience warning of the danger to pensions ( again) from independence. How ironic coming from "prudence"

Most people in the UK consider Brown to be a bust flush at best. FFS, his record on pensions is hardly something to crow about, and the notion that people are any more likely to take him seriously now is more than a little stretched.

The BT campaign had better have something up their sleeves if this is their idea of rolling out the big gunslaugh.png

Most people in the UK consider Brown to be a bust flush at best. FFS, his record on pensions is hardly something to crow about, and the notion that people are any more likely to take him seriously now is more than a little stretched.

The BT campaign had better have something up their sleeves if this is their idea of rolling out the big gunslaugh.png

Yeah.

Let's roll out the ex-prime minister who sold off our gold reserves for a pittance and then bankrupted the UK.

Sheer genius.lol.gif