The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If interested saintnextlifetime this was also discussed on the previous page (page 328) having been raised by stlucifer.

In addition to Stu D's comment re. the banks having no lender of last resort (as they do today with the BOE and thank phuck for that given the very recent financial crash where both the BOS and RBS got smashed) we as savers and / or investors would also have to decide whether we want to pop our hard earned in to a bank which has, well, no lender of last resort. Bit like putting your money (in whatever currency it would be) in to a safe which is finely balanced above an active Volcano.

Like everything else, yip it could work, bit it might not, and if this one doesn't work then you could lose the lot.

Perhaps, if you read the full statement, you might think differently.

Commenting on the Chancellor George Osborne’s announcement today that is likely to rule out an English currency union with an independent Scotland, the Adam Smith Institute’s Research Director Sam Bowman said:

An independent Scotland would not need England’s permission to continue using the pound sterling, and in fact would be better off using the pound without such permission.

“There is very little that an English government would actually be able to do to stop Scottish people from continuing to use the pound sterling if they wanted to.

“As the American economist George Selgin has pointed out, what the Prime Minister really means is that the Bank of England would not act as a guarantor for Scottish banks or the Scottish government. Lucky Scotland: the implied promise of a bailout from the European Central Bank is exactly what allowed Eurozone banks and governments to borrow cheaply and get themselves into a debt crisis.

“Scotland’s position would be closer to that of countries like Panama, Ecuador and El Salvador, which use the US Dollar without American “permission”, and, according to research by the Federal Reserve of Atlanta, consequentially have far more prudent and stable financial systems than if they were part of a formal currency union.

“An independent Scotland that used the pound as its base currency without the English government’s permission, with banks continuing to issue notes privately and private citizens free to choose any currency they wanted, would probably have a more stable financial system and economy than England itself.

“It’s up to Scots to decide whether they want independence, but the Chancellor’s announcement today should be seen as a feature, not a bug.”

I suppose it depends on whom you want to believe.

Of course the real story on plan b is that , he doesn't need a plan b. .

He doesn't. I fully expect an independent Scotland WOULD use the pound. That's not my reading of the problem though. The problem for Salmond, and by association the 'yes' campaign, is that by simply repeating ad nauseam 'but we will use the pound', he comes across as an increasingly smug wee basturt' who always gets his own way, and is even unwilling to discuss the possibility, just the possibility, that he might be wrong.

That's why I said in a previous post that prior to the live debate, I couldn't believe that Salmond and his team hadn't worked up an answer better than 'but we will use the pound, and you know it Darling ya' spanner'.

I know that Scottish independence is about more than the here and now. It's about the future, and Scottish voters getting the government they voted for - be it SNP, Labour, or, whoever. However, this decision takes place right here, right now, in 2014. The people driving this are indeed the SNP and the dynamic duo Salmond & Sturgeon. SNP ideology demands a drive for an independent Scotland. Frankly, I think Salmond and his sidekick are making a c**t of it and turning people off.

I also happen to think two people in particular are, deep down in their heart of hearts, absolutely shitting it about a 'yes' vote actually happening. Those two people are Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon. They might then actually have to deliver this fairer Scotland, this better Scotland.... and make the sums add up. I genuinely believe they'd be happier if the vote was reasonably close, not a slap in the face, but still, a 'no' vote. They could then crack on with doing a decent job in Holyrood, without the buck stopping completely at their door.

I think that the SNP have done a decent job overall in the Scottish Parliament, although I think that Salmond has somewhat lost the plot - in a similar fashion to Nick Clegg. Both were riding high and looked like the only ones talking sense, then for differing reasons, fcuked it up.

I'm still undecided. Heart says yes, head says no. Neither side are doing nearly enough to sway me one way or the other.

In truth , the vote has as much to do with Salmond as winning the Scottish League Cup last year had to do with Danny . Yes , without either of them , either scenario ,it might never have happened but in truth , the team had a big part to play and so did we , the fans or in Scotland's case us , the Scots. .

If we gain independence , Salmond will retire . Politicians only have so much shelf life , then they become unpopular , no matter what they have achieved . And also for Danny , despite achieving great things , was let go .

Being a fan of Paisley Saint Mirren FC is a bit like being Scots , we are champions of the under dog . We can achieve great things but no one said it would be easy. .

I also happen to think two people in particular are, deep down in their heart of hearts, absolutely shitting it about a 'yes' vote actually happening. Those two people are Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon. They might then actually have to deliver this fairer Scotland, this better Scotland.... and make the sums add up. I genuinely believe they'd be happier if the vote was reasonably close, not a slap in the face, but still, a 'no' vote. They could then crack on with doing a decent job in Holyrood, without the buck stopping completely at their door.

Nah, Salmond will want a YES vote. It would be his legacy, and he strikes me as a man who wants a hefty legacy.

I am not a huge fan of Salmond or Sturgeon either, so it depresses me that people are over-inclined (in my view) to focus on them as opposed to the bigger picture. I've got two kids, as you know, and their future means a hell of a lot more to me than whether Alex Salmond is a bit or a warmer, so my vote will be driven by what I belive will benefit them and future generations of Scots. Yet again, we seem to be getting dragged down to the level of the cult of celebrity, as opposed to the real substance of the debate.

Too much of this debate has centred on how independence will impact on the likes of you and me, and not enough on the opportunity that we could gift future generations to shape the country they want to live in. Without a radical change in the constitutional set-up of the UK, this opportunity will simply not exist. Not in our lifetime, nor in that of my children or even their own kids. This isn't a once in a generation opportunity, it goes beyond that, and I would rather not be partly culpable of depriving future generation of a chance (and that is what it is - a chance, and not a guarantee) to have a more effective say in determining how the society they live in evolves.

I trust my fellow Scots to make a dcent thrust of this independence malarky, should they be afforded the opportunity. If the democratic will of the people is to vote against independence, then I will respect that (oh, and I won't spit the dummy and transfer my back accounts elsewhere and the likes, FFS!).

As it goes, I'm not confident that we'll gain independence, but I'm glad we're being afforded the opportunity to consider it at any rate. To be fair to Salmond et al, I doubt we would even be discussing this had they not been around, so they've contributed that much, at least.

In truth , the vote has as much to do with Salmond as winning the Scottish League Cup last year had to do with Danny . Yes , without either of them , either scenario ,it might never have happened but in truth , the team had a big part to play and so did we , the fans or in Scotland's case us , the Scots. .

If we gain independence , Salmond will retire . Politicians only have so much shelf life , then they become unpopular , no matter what they have achieved . And also for Danny , despite achieving great things , was let go .

Being a fan of Paisley Saint Mirren FC is a bit like being Scots , we are champions of the under dog . We can achieve great things but no one said it would be easy. .

what a load of shite!

I don't think we'll get independence either Drew. I reckon when I go in and vote, I will vote 'yes', exercising my individual right to vote the way I want. However, I do expect a 'no' vote, and will get on with my life. In the UK. With the same concerns as Geordies, Scousers, Brummies and Dundonians... Doing my best for myself and my family, treating people the way I want to be treated myself, enjoying my football, golf, and talking pish on fitba forums.

Life goes on.

I don't think we'll get independence either Drew. I reckon when I go in and vote, I will vote 'yes', exercising my individual right to vote the way I want. However, I do expect a 'no' vote, and will get on with my life. In the UK. With the same concerns as Geordies, Scousers, Brummies and Dundonians... Doing my best for myself and my family, treating people the way I want to be treated myself, enjoying my football, golf, and talking pish on fitba forums.

Life goes on.

I'm still on the fence. A 'No' vote to me means that I am happy with the union and the way the UK is going. That I certainly am not- both in governance and the economy is far too 'London Centric'.

However there are enough things on the Yes side to make me uneasy about the future too.

In any instance even if Scotland votes no, I feel with 'more powers' we'll see an increasingly federal UK which will I think see independence by stealth.

Let's start at the beginning.

Do you have a council house or do you own?

Not fussed about which one but do you fall into one of those two categories?

None of your fcuking business.................next question?

Really?

Should that matter?

Will there be a council house vote and a privately owned vote?

FFS!

Lives with his Mum by sounds of things. whistling.gif

It's often been argued by Natsis on this thread that there aren't any countries who have regretted gaining independence from the UK. Time to debunk that myth too.

92% of Hong Kong Residents voted last year to say that they would rather return to UK rule than continue with their current arrangement, Hong Kong was the last UK Colony to be returned back to it's country of origin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4vlQuTSJXg

Fcuk rite off Lard Arse, You are really clutching at Straws Now ?

post-8992-0-43763000-1408644207.gif

Fcuk rite off Lard Arse, You are really clutching at Straws Now ?

attachicon.gifphoto-29578.gif

Because you went and quoted him I can see what he typed . .

What a lota shite . Hong Kong NEVER GOT INDEPENDENCE bah f**k . The mandate / lease ended and they became part of metropolitan China, again . There was no vote either , The British HAD to leave . .

f**ksake you couldnae make it up . .

Because you went and quoted him I can see what he typed . .

What a lota shite . Hong Kong NEVER GOT INDEPENDENCE bah f**k . The mandate / lease ended and they became part of metropolitan China, again . There was no vote either , The British HAD to leave . .

f**ksake you couldnae make it up . .

post-8992-0-60287600-1408645198.jpg